The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Aug 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #62 of 1,323

Quote:
I've read that it may improve over time, or maybe I'll just get used to the pain. :D

Quote:
My experience has been yes to both...

Same here.  The pads definitely do soften up and get more comfortable.  And they don't seem to hurt as much if I don't dwell on thinking about whether they hurt or not
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #63 of 1,323
Been loving these cans while at work but the Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 has been vying for listening time too. With how good these two portables are I practically have no use for my full size cans anymore.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #64 of 1,323
60 hours of burn-in and I'm liking these more and more. I've always suspected that burn-in was at least partially (if not totally) our ears adapting to the sound. I think these may be swaying me to accepting the "truth" about burn-in. Last night I couldn't stop shuffling songs. :)

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #65 of 1,323

Quote:
60 hours of burn-in and I'm liking these more and more. I've always suspected that burn-in was at least partially (if not totally) our ears adapting to the sound. I think these may be swaying me to accepting the "truth" about burn-in. Last night I couldn't stop shuffling songs. :)

I bit of that.  Headphone drivers are a mechanical device - Surfaces become smother, clearances open up a bit, etc.  This is the one place in audio where I expect some change over time, much as a car engine wears in.  Cable burn in, amp burn in, etc, I don't really buy it.  Tubes maybe.  OK, I'm heading off topic, so I'll quit.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #66 of 1,323
In addition to running music through these 24/7, I've been straddling them over a towel covered cardboard box (a little wider than my head). As a result, the clamping force is much more tolerable and I still have a good seal. :D I was doing some A/B with the 990's yesterday, and in some cases I actually prefer the 1350's. I still like the 990's for openness, but the 1350's are sounding really balanced. Me likee!

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #67 of 1,323
I've just created the Dt 1350 fan page on Facebook..Couldn't believe there wasn't a page on Facebook for these awesome headphones!
L3000.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #68 of 1,323

Quote:
I've just created the Dt 1350 fan page on Facebook..Couldn't believe there wasn't a page on Facebook for these awesome headphones!
L3000.gif

I don't Facebook
frown.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #70 of 1,323
I'll go check the Facebook thing later today...meanwhile, I've been working through my media via the DT1350's (CD's and movies). Last night I loaded the blu-ray of Inception. I did an a/b between my older Sony MDR-cd570 cans and the Beyers. WOW. The bass on the Beyers KILLS the Sony cans. Really impressive.

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #72 of 1,323
Argue at will about the reality of burn-in, but these are the first headphone that showed burn-in is real.

After a couple of hours of play, I've never noticed much difference in any headphone, and differences could be chalked up to positioning, music choice, gaining familiarity, etc.

With these 1350's I noticed a certain dissonance with piano sonatas, usually in the mid-range or in a transition between high and low.  Maybe this is the disconnect described earlier in this post.  It was too prevalent and common to be related to a particular recording or era of recording.  (The recording I noticed it on first, the first piece I played on the headphones was Uchida's Mozart Piano Sonatas.)

I knew about the importance of positioning as I had the T50's before these, so I couldn't attribute the problem to positioning.  I just resigned myself to not listening to acoustic piano (as the headphones sounded great otherwise, esp. on jazz saxophones).

A few weeks, and anywhere between 20 and 50 hours of play, went by.  I stumbled back into a piano sonata, one I know well and listened to frequently with the dissonance.  Now, after burn in, no more dissonance.  I played other piano sonatas and the sound was great.

This is first time I can definitively attribute burn-in to an improved sound, a particular improvement in a particular kind of music and instrument.

Otherwise, I love these for listening to classical or jazz music while reading, although I'm finding myself putting down my book more often now to listen to the music!

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #73 of 1,323
I'm still a fan, though I was pretty annoyed to have to glue one of the headband pads on last week in order to get it to stay in place. They don't get quite as much use as they used to, but they're still my go-to cans for portable and work usage. In fact, I just listened to Elliot Smith's XO on them the other night, and I think that it was the best it's ever heard it--better even than my HD650s.

As a bonus, the cans are pretty well broken in at this point, physically speaking (Or maybe my head is). They're still uncomfortable, sure, but I can stand them on my head for a considerably longer amount of time than I used to be able to, and achieving a seal seems to only get easier.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #74 of 1,323
60s and I'm smitten with these. They're almost perfectly matching the tuned GR07 in frequency response. The detailing is quite a bit better - beating an IEM is quite an achievement.
Extension is 18Hz-19.5kHz - can't tell more, since my hearing doesn't allow it - so it's quite perfect.
They're approximately 7 dB less efficient than GR07 - easy to drive. No hiss is present or microphonics.
Soundstaging is quite excellent, a slight bit narrower and farther than tuned GR07 which is actually real good!
Fit is perfect.

These aren't burned in at all yet either. A real full review will come soon.
--
I was mistaken on microphonics: there are some slight high frequency ones via the cable.
Rest is... great. Period.
Fit can be tricky - when misplaced, they press my earlobes into glasses, but there are nice sealed positions where they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back