The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread
Oct 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,039 of 1,323
  So just 14 days after my warranty ended, my right side suddenly lost sound... :frowning2:

tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #1,041 of 1,323
I purchased a used pair of original DT1350's based on a recommendation from a fellow headfi-er and have been using them as my main portable headphone for about 1 year now.  Love them.  About 7 months ago I replaced the worn earpads with 51p earpads and now have a more comfortable and tighter fit.  I guess I have a smaller than average head so I can't relate/complain about any clamping discomfort issues, quite the contrary in fact as I find them quite comfortable.  I have heard and read on this thread that a proper seal is very important for good bass quality so I decided to gently bend the headband inward all the while checking the fit comfort and seal in order to see if further adjustments were possible.  Well after "customizing" the fit I definitely have improved the snugness and seal factor while still keeping things quite comfortable.  More importantly however, the bass most definitely has improved in quantity and quality.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,043 of 1,323
Regarding micro phonics I have to say that the cable isn't that bad, my HE500's silver cable is bad, but the DT1350's aren't an issue by comparison. To me a bigger concern is when my collar or pillow (when listening in bed) rubs against the cups (not pads). That sound is much worse and distracting than the cable micro phonics.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,045 of 1,323
So, my DT1350's from the most recent drop were replaced by Massdrop.  They agreed that the original pair was defective, and in lieu of the fact that Beyerdynamic was not helpful in the least, offered to exchange mine for a new pair.  My complaint with the original pair was a muddy,murky sound with woefully recessed mids and highs.  So, out of the box, I would say that the replacement pair is not quite a bad as the originals, but these HP's still have a sound signature which is not nearly as detailed as I would have expected.  My normal go to tracks still sound a bit congested, and murky.  The replacement pair is burning in as I did note a slight, but insufficient improvement at 100+ hours on the first pair I received.  So, the bottom line is I have not given up, but I am beginning to think that this sound signature is just not for me.  We shall see what burn in accomplishes.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,046 of 1,323
  We shall see what burn in accomplishes.

Sorry to hear that, but don't count on burn-in to magically repair a sound signature that seems to not fit your taste.
What is your source btw? And which headphones do you like? Did you ever hear the DT1350 before buying one, i.e. is your pair different?

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,047 of 1,323

Sorry to hear that, but don't count on burn-in to magically repair a sound signature that seems to not fit your taste.
What is your source btw? And which headphones do you like? Did you ever hear the DT1350 before buying one, i.e. is your pair different?

That is what I was thinking regarding the burn in, but why not, right?

I had not heard the DT1350 before I purchased it.  My current headphone collection includes B&O H6, AKG K7XX, and B&W P7.  I considered each of these based on reading posts on Head-Fi, and for the most part I got what I expected based on the impressions and opinions I read.  So, no surprises.  I did have a chance to try the H6 and P7 before I pulled the trigger.  This gave me an opportunity to confirm what I had expected based on my research.

I would say my favorite of the above are the H6 for portable use and the AKG K7XX for home use.

My source is a iPod 160Gb Classic > JDS C5 (preferred) or Fiio E11 via a Fiio L9 LOD cable.  I am also occasionally listening via my laptop through a Fiio E07 DAC/AMP, but I use the portable set-up far more often.  I tried the DT1350 with all combos of the above.

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,048 of 1,323
  So, my DT1350's from the most recent drop were replaced by Massdrop.  They agreed that the original pair was defective, and in lieu of the fact that Beyerdynamic was not helpful in the least, offered to exchange mine for a new pair.  My complaint with the original pair was a muddy,murky sound with woefully recessed mids and highs.  So, out of the box, I would say that the replacement pair is not quite a bad as the originals, but these HP's still have a sound signature which is not nearly as detailed as I would have expected.  My normal go to tracks still sound a bit congested, and murky.  The replacement pair is burning in as I did note a slight, but insufficient improvement at 100+ hours on the first pair I received.  So, the bottom line is I have not given up, but I am beginning to think that this sound signature is just not for me.  We shall see what burn in accomplishes.

All things considered you sound like a very patient person!

beyersmile.png

I agree that at times it sounds very congested.

Sometimes it surprises me in it's abilities though.
Unfortunately, It seems IMO to perform best at loud volumes which is unhealthy 
frown.gif

I find it very uncomfortable at times as well and can only use it occasionally.
The fit is crazy picky for me as well.
It can be frustrating.

For me it has a complex enough character though to renew my interest once in a while.
I can totally understand why someone may not enjoy this thing  though.

Your experience reminds me of my previous experience with the t50p.
I really wanted to and tried to like it but ......

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,049 of 1,323

All things considered you sound like a very patient person!

beyersmile.png

I agree that at times it sounds very congested.

Sometimes it surprises me in it's abilities though.
Unfortunately, It seems IMO to perform best at loud volumes which is unhealthy 
frown.gif

I find it very uncomfortable at times as well and can only use it occasionally.
The fit is crazy picky for me as well.
It can be frustrating.

For me it has a complex enough character though to renew my interest once in a while.
I can totally understand why someone may not enjoy this thing  though.

Your experience reminds me of my previous experience with the t50p.
I really wanted to and tried to like it but ......

Thanks, not sure if I am patient or just stubborn.  Seemed like he DT1350's had the potential of being the ideal portables.  Now, not so sure.  I am finding my AKG Y50's to be just as enjoyable as the Beyers, and I was hoping the additional $$$ would take me to the next level.  I guess, for me, the music comes first...can't imagine life without my tunes; at home, in the car, at the office, walking the dog...

ek these would be

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,050 of 1,323
@zombywoof I don't know the H6, but I do own the K7XX and can understand if you consider the DT1350 a bit congested compared to them. It may be a stretch to compare as one is about as open and wide sounding as it gets while the other one is a very small, isolating on-ear, but in the end its the music that counts.

I always liked the DT1350 and it is now the oldest headphone in my collection. I used it on the go for several years and was always astounded by its qualities. Until I compared it directly to my (old) T1 at home. That was not a good idea. Having only heard them with quite some time in between (i.e. using the DT1350, coming home, doing other things, later listen to the T1) I thought they were quite similar in sound signature, if not detail retrieval. But in direct comparison the DT1350 was just... not so good. On the other hand I'd never get to listen to the T1 when outside... so each had their place.

What I want to say is this: while I consider the DT1350 to be a very good, compact mobile headphone with many positive traits, I'd not compare it to a good open headphone. It may be hard to find anything mobile that sounds like a K7XX though... You may get used to the DT1350 sound signature by using it more (i.e. brain burn-in which does exist, but cannot get you to love a sound you actually hate), but if that doesn't work for you, you might consider selling it off. There are always headphones we want to like but ultimately can't (I still own a TH900 because I like its looks, its story and the feeling of it, but don't use it anymore as it simply hits too hard for my taste, not letting me relax).

I don't see any problem with your sources. Caveat: I've never personally heard either the C5 or any Fiio, but from what I read about those devices they should be capable of driving the DT1350 without problems. If you really want to keep the DT1350 try to use it exclusively for some time to get acquainted to its sound signature. If even that does not help... I'd say it's just not for you. Which is nothing bad in and of itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back