The Beyerdynamic T51p Discussion Thread
Mar 10, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #61 of 116
Hi all
It's my first post on this forum. I thought i'd give a first impression as I got the T51p today. It's 2nd hand but rather new (been used few weeks by the previous owner), meaning probably if there was some "burn-in", its probably been done by the 1st owner for the most part. Note that my model is 32 ohm (I heard there were some 60 ohm model at the very early days). 

I am not really used to listening to headphones (as I've mostly listen to speakers only), I started fiddling around with various in-ears but soon got to find that on-ear / over-ear seems to be better suited for my listening preference (more close to speakers perhaps ?)

Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time trying different models (Momentum, AK550, M100, M50x, P7, MDR-1R..), before deciding on T51p. Main reason being the fact that it isolates as well as any of those over-ear, while keeping a smaller profile, while being comparable (or better) in terms of sound than most of the similar priced over-ear models.

So coming to the impression itself, i noticed that its not as light as it looks (i.e. similar weight to momentum - which to be fair is one of the lightest over-ear model but its quite a bit bigger so T51p feels more "dense"). I've seen many people praise comfort of these headphone, so i had high expectation, but for my ears, i felt the clamping force a little tight and overall less comfortable than most of the over-ears mentioned above. It's probably more an "over" expectation issue as it was much more comfortable than Momentum on-ear and about the same feeling to the P7 (which also has a snug fit for me). I like the carrying case as its quite thin/compact + has form support 

For the sound itself, from the perspective of other similar priced headphones i've tried, I found the "timing" of T51p to be really good. I immediately found myself searching for tracks with speedy component (fast guitar solos, certain parts of piano concertos). The bass is on the tight side and sufficiently dynamic without feeling overwhelming (only P7 gave me a sense of more dynamism on the lower part, M100 had more bass but it was "blurred"). The treble (which i worried the most after reading reviews on the sound signature of Beyer) was very detailed but not over-emphasized, nor harsh. The mids does not have any apparant flaws, but perhaps a bit cold (?) for my taste. To be fair, i did not get "amazed" by mids of most of the other models (momentum being perhaps my favourite but coming at the expense of "timing" and a feeling of being non-neutral - meaning it depends on the genre of the music)

I listen to all sorts of music (electronica, alternative rock, classic, jazz ..), without a clear preference of one style. Overall I am quite happy so far with T51p save one exception which is the comfort (i clearly enjoyed the MDR-1R for that aspect), but its a fare trade-off as its not that bad + its much smaller without sacrificing isolation. Sound wise similar feeling, quite happy - the mids are not worse than the competition and both the lows and highs are better than most. The timing is really excellent. On most of the songs, I enjoyed the interpretation of T51p the most, with perhaps the exception of more groovy type songs where I preferred the warmer and less tight interpretation of Momentum (as well as a few other models).

I will provide an update once i listen further of the headphone ! The impression here is based on listening both on my mobile phone (galaxy S4) as well as on my laptop with an entry level onkyo DAC.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #63 of 116
Hi
Just a very brief update after a few weeks of using further this headphone.

Not a lot of change from the first impression, meaning overall very positive and all the initial comments still hold true +

- i'm getting used to the comfort and its not too bad
- the sound stage is not too bad either
- very tight and precise, which can feel somewhat lacking warmth at times.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #64 of 116
  Hi
Just a very brief update after a few weeks of using further this headphone.

Not a lot of change from the first impression, meaning overall very positive and all the initial comments still hold true +

- i'm getting used to the comfort and its not too bad
- the sound stage is not too bad either
- very tight and precise, which can feel somewhat lacking warmth at times.

I'm loving mine!  It's definitely warmer than my other headphones though so I'm surprised you say that it lacks it.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #66 of 116
I see, what source do you use ? I'm thinking it might be my source (Samsung Galaxy S4), as it sounds less analytical when plugged to my laptop + USB DAC setup.

To be fair, there is no real issue, but i found it for example less warm than momentum over-ear (although the "flavor" of sound is anyway very different from that guy), and perhaps i'm too accustomed to speaker sound (it has only been a couple of years since i moved out of only speaker listening)

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #67 of 116
  I see, what source do you use ? I'm thinking it might be my source (Samsung Galaxy S4), as it sounds less analytical when plugged to my laptop + USB DAC setup.

To be fair, there is no real issue, but i found it for example less warm than momentum over-ear (although the "flavor" of sound is anyway very different from that guy), and perhaps i'm too accustomed to speaker sound (it has only been a couple of years since i moved out of only speaker listening)

On the road I use Fiio X3 which is warm too, but I find that T51p is on a warm side also from ODAC/O2 which is very neutral, and straight from iPhone 5S as well.  

If you're used to Momentum over-ears though I can see where you're coming from, I've had a listen before and to me they sounded like Koss Porta Pro's. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #68 of 116
After a few more weeks of listening (between my galaxy S4 phone, and laptop + DAC), indeed when plugged to my laptop they are nice and warm. On my galaxy, they are thinner, but still more neutral thin than cold. Anyway, for my preference it is the portable headphone of choice by a fair margin compared to other similar priced headphones i've tried.

On another note, i got a Shure 1440 today, it's open design so i cannot directly compare but I'm smiling to discover that two headphones can be sounding so vastly different (yet both enjoyable in different way).

I'll probably write in another thread an impression after a bit of listening.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #69 of 116
How boosted is the bass?
I’m the happy owner of a pair of DT-770 (32-ohm edition) that I use with my iPod Classic. The sound is really great, but unfortunately the cans are quite big and not really all that portable. When I’m on the move and for instance put them in a bag they do take up a lot of space. The T51s on the other hand seems to be the perfect size for travel. But I must say that I am somewhat skeptical when I read so many people say that the bass has been boosted. I generally prefer a neutral sound. I therefore wonder if the T51 will be a good choice for me. I am aware that I could change the iPod’s settings and choose the decrease bass function in the iPod's EQ. But will the end result be right/good? Has anyone tried this?

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #70 of 116
  How boosted is the bass?
I’m the happy owner of a pair of DT-770 (32-ohm edition) that I use with my iPod Classic. The sound is really great, but unfortunately the cans are quite big and not really all that portable. When I’m on the move and for instance put them in a bag they do take up a lot of space. The T51s on the other hand seems to be the perfect size for travel. But I must say that I am somewhat skeptical when I read so many people say that the bass has been boosted. I generally prefer a neutral sound. I therefore wonder if the T51 will be a good choice for me. I am aware that I could change the iPod’s settings and choose the decrease bass function in the iPod's EQ. But will the end result be right/good? Has anyone tried this?

I don't rememver the DT770/32 to be that neutral... but anyway, the T51p is a bit warmer than neutral with a slight bump in the upper bass region and a touch toned down treble, just enough for a pleasant sound, not what I would call coloration (and far from the original Momentum over-ear).

A bit less comfortable, but quite neutral is its brother DT1350... to me still the best mobile headphone there is.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #71 of 116
Thanks plakat for your answer! Perhaps you're right about the 770 not being completely neutral. But anyway I understand from you that the bass is only slightly boosted, and that you consider the sound to be quite warm (and plesant?). All in all a good descpription I'd say. I think I'll consider the 1350 also. If only I's had a chance to compare them.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #72 of 116
If only I's had a chance to compare them.

You're welcome.

Yes, thats always the main problem... If you happen to be able to come to Vienna/Austria I'll be happy to let you try them out. Otherwise you may want to search for a meet in your area, maybe someone can bring them along.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #74 of 116
I Just got the t51i version, and I absolutely love the sound(although I come from $80 bose in ear), and I feel like there is a difference, especially the bass is more pronounced. It is clearer!

But they hurt my ears so much, I have always had sensitive ears, and I don't know if they need more wear time or do I have to get used to it?
I know everyone says they are super comfortable and at first they were but ,i do have sensitive ears and usually all headphones hurt after a while for me :frowning2: I also listen to music for long hours, day in and day out. Usually I use speakers all the time, but I'm going to be out more often and needed headphones. I have never really used on ear (or full sized) before, ever.
I feel like if it doesn't get better in a week I should probably return them, and I would hate to but no point in using them if they keep hurting.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #75 of 116
  I feel like if it doesn't get better in a week I should probably return them, and I would hate to but no point in using them if they keep hurting.

The T51p/i is quite comfortable for an on-ear... but that form factor does have its limitations and especially if you're sensitive to that, then there is no point in forcing it.
Unfortunately there are not many comfortable over-ear headphones for mobile use either... I've heard good things about the AKG K545 and personally like the AIAIAI TMA-2 with over-ear pads. Or maybe in-ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back