The Beyerdynamic T51p Discussion Thread
Nov 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 116
  Just as a final note and for the records

(and in an effort to gain enough posts so I can change my avatar)

The T51p is also listed in many places (including their own website) as 32 Ohms the same as the T51i.  Elsewhere in other official blurb it is listed at 60 Ohms.   Either there is a discrepancy in the listings OR there are multiple/rebooted versions with this lower impedance,  OR  they have always been 32 Ohms.

In any case, at some point you have to just say screw it,  and get one.   So that's what i'll do.   

Regards,

Jeb. 

You might be on to something. My box has a sticker with the specs but underneath I can make out the original specs that were printed on the box. I can't make out the impedance. Pretty sure you'll get the 32ohm.

My retail box:

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 116
  It's being discontinued and replaced with T51i, which was shown at CANJAM

Innerfidelity has a video at the Beyerdynamic booth explaining what it sounds like, google it. But yeah sound stage is pretty bad on T51p. 

The ONLY difference between the T51p and T51i is the inline iDevice controller/mic. They are the same headphones otherwise.

And fellas, when run out of my iPhone 6 or iPad Air, the soundstaging is on the "narrow" side, but on my AK100II, you'd be surprised how much this improves. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 116

The ONLY difference between the T51p and T51i is the inline iDevice controller/mic. They are the same headphones otherwise.

And fellas, when run out of my iPhone 6 or iPad Air, the soundstaging is on the "narrow" side, but on my AK100II, you'd be surprised how much this improves. 

Crap, you're right. I take it back. I just plugged in my T51p in to my AK100 and soundstage is pretty decent!

It's just I hadn't listened to them for a few months until a few days ago when I plugged them in to my 5s. I'm an idiot!

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #19 of 116
  Crap, you're right. I take it back. I just plugged in my T51p in to my AK100 and soundstage is pretty decent!

It's just I hadn't listened to them for a few months until a few days ago when I plugged them in to my 5s. I'm an idiot!

beerchug.gif

The T51p's do scale nicely.

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #20 of 116
Thanks for the information.

That makes sense -  I think Amazon and a few other places must just have the impedance incorrectly stated.  I'm probably getting too side-tracked by it -  they sounded GREAT in the shop through my amp even though it is technically a mismatch with the 10Ohm output impedance of the amp - which would lend itself perfectly to the 1350s - but I'm very sensitive to sharp treble and not keen on an overly analytical sound thats why I'm steering towards the T51p/i.  

Probably thinking about it too much.  Thanks for your help. 

Regards

Jeb. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #21 of 116
I just picked up a pair of these little mind-blowers, after spending weeks trying to decide on a closed can.  All the other contenders were over usd$500; I got the T51p in pristine `used` condition at E-earphone in Tokyo tonight for usd$200.  Excactly what i wanted - the isolation, the soundsig, transportability.   Better than hoped-for build quality !  Super psyched with this purchase; I actually feel like I SAVED money by buying these. . .   Sounds truly wonderful out of my new AK120ii. 

I have a question :  Has anyone reterminated the T51p with a balanced plug? I`m thinking about doing just that, for my AK120ii.  I just need to know if the cable is 4-wire, or do they share the ground ?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been discussed somewhere previously . .  .

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 116
Hi Dopaminer, 

Unfortunately I can't help you with the balanced plug question but congratulations on your purchase -  sounds like you got a cracking deal on these most excellent headphones.   When I was demoing the T51ps I was very conscious of the fact that i'd been in the demo room for ages, but didn't want to leave.  The man was very kind though and even asked if I wanted to try the Sennheiser Momentum's Over-ear for a comparison.  

I'm sure they have their place but to my ears they weren't even in the same league, sounding somewhat recessed (though not larger in soundstage) and much less involving.   Everything was immensely enjoyable and engaging in the 51s. Superb right out of the iPod jack.   I've got a pair of the 1350s coming for a test but may well end up getting the 51ps as well if they are very different.  

One thing I noticed in the evening and in day after my demo was that my ears felt a bit strange - not physically like on the outside,  but inside as if my ear-drums had taken a little bit of a pounding.  I wasn't conscious of listening at excessively loud levels but -  as others have noted - the mid bass is quite pronounced and the overall fast, warm and relatively close presentation within a closed cup makes for a very exciting experience.  I would think they would be excellent for when walking out and about.   "little mind-blowers" is absolutely right. 

PS.  I love talking about headphones.  It's probably my (close) second favourite thing to do, next to actually using them.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #23 of 116
  Hi Dopaminer, 

Unfortunately I can't help you with the balanced plug question but congratulations on your purchase -  sounds like you got a cracking deal on these most excellent headphones.   When I was demoing the T51ps I was very conscious of the fact that i'd been in the demo room for ages, but didn't want to leave.  The man was very kind though and even asked if I wanted to try the Sennheiser Momentum's Over-ear for a comparison.  

I'm sure they have their place but to my ears they weren't even in the same league, sounding somewhat recessed (though not larger in soundstage) and much less involving.   Everything was immensely enjoyable and engaging in the 51s. Superb right out of the iPod jack.   I've got a pair of the 1350s coming for a test but may well end up getting the 51ps as well if they are very different.  

One thing I noticed in the evening and in day after my demo was that my ears felt a bit strange - not physically like on the outside,  but inside as if my ear-drums had taken a little bit of a pounding.  I wasn't conscious of listening at excessively loud levels but -  as others have noted - the mid bass is quite pronounced and the overall fast, warm and relatively close presentation within a closed cup makes for a very exciting experience.  I would think they would be excellent for when walking out and about.   "little mind-blowers" is absolutely right. 

PS.  I love talking about headphones.  It's probably my (close) second favourite thing to do, next to actually using them.

Awesome; me too.  
I tried the 1350s too.   Make sure to share your impressions !

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #24 of 116
If anyone is interested I can confirm that the T51p is a 3 wire cable with shared ground, and so unsuitable for retermination with a balanced plug.  

I sent an inquiry to Beyer, and someone wrote back within a couple of days. . . 

d

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 116
Has anyone else experienced this, I was comparing my T 51s to my Sennheiser HD 650 and I noticed that the sounds were playing inversely in each ea. for instance, using the 650s, in a particular song a musical instrument would clearly begin coming from one ear, but when using the T 51s, it would come from the other ear. bear in mind, the 650s have removable cords for each headphone and I confirmed they were correctly inputted into the respective earpiece.

Are the T 51s wired backwards, what do you all think?

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #26 of 116
Has anyone else experienced this, I was comparing my T 51s to my Sennheiser HD 650 and I noticed that the sounds were playing inversely in each ea. for instance, using the 650s, in a particular song a musical instrument would clearly begin coming from one ear, but when using the T 51s, it would come from the other ear. bear in mind, the 650s have removable cords for each headphone and I confirmed they were correctly inputted into the respective earpiece.

Are the T 51s wired backwards, what do you all think?

read the first page, another guy mentioned the same issue. I recommended a simple fix

On mine the channels are correct.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #27 of 116
  Just as a final note and for the records

(and in an effort to gain enough posts so I can change my avatar)

The T51p is also listed in many places (including their own website) as 32 Ohms the same as the T51i.  Elsewhere in other official blurb it is listed at 60 Ohms.   Either there is a discrepancy in the listings OR there are multiple/rebooted versions with this lower impedance,  OR  they have always been 32 Ohms.

In any case, at some point you have to just say screw it,  and get one.   So that's what i'll do.   

Regards,

Jeb. 

By chance, I owned two pairs of the T51p at the same time. One was 60 ohm and one was 32 ohm.  I figured they were both 60 ohm as the box stated, but one required a couple ticks more power to reach the same volume on my iPhone.  I tested them with a voltmeter and got something like 61 ohm on one and roughly 32 ohm on the other.  

The headphones were physically indistinguishable and the packaging identical.  Perhaps the first batches were 60 ohm and they transitioned to 32 ohm not long after?  They sounded pretty much the same once the volume levels were matched.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #28 of 116
   By chance, I owned two pairs of the T51p at the same time. One was 60 ohm and one was 32 ohm.  I figured they were both 60 ohm as the box stated, but one required a couple ticks more power to reach the same volume on my iPhone.  I tested them with a voltmeter and got something like 61 ohm on one and roughly 32 ohm on the other.  

The headphones were physically indistinguishable and the packaging identical.  Perhaps the first batches were 60 ohm and they transitioned to 32 ohm not long after?  They sounded pretty much the same once the volume levels were matched.

Great detective work!

It all makes sense now  - I think you're probably right there was an initial 60 ohm version.    

Regards

Jeb

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #29 of 116
Hello,

I've received a replacement set of T51p - an ear cup of the first pair is scratched; the replacement has an earlier serial number - 3,000s v 5,000s - and has the specification sticker on the box. Are there any known differences between early and later 32 ohm sets?

Thanks,
DT

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #30 of 116
Ok here I go,

I guess I am the only one who's not too thrilled about this amazing little headphone. I purchased this one based on it;s portability for traveling and it really does the job.
Love the way it looks and feel in my head but the sound was something else to me. I picked this up after a long battle among Sennheiser aluminium,and Aedle Vk1 .
At the same time I purchased BoseQC3 for the noise canceling purposes only.

Out of the box it sounded .....%$#%. I managed to burn it with pink noise for about couple days and it sounded so much better. Clarity and good punchy bass with very good sound stage out of my AK120II but not so much separation and depth/ layering more like 2-D. It reminds me of Sound Magic HP150 except T51p is warmer and darker.

I was on three hour flight twice round trip and I was able to compare T51P with Bose QC3 and the result was surprisingly unexpected to me.

Well you know, Bose is not exactly an audiophile quality product but to my surprise I love it better than T51p in flight and......everyday too
blink.gif

I found out QC3 definitely needs amp to shine while T51p sounds really good just out of smartphone and DAP. While in flight I paired these two with AK120ii balance out>Mk3B and the QC3 was really amazing, way better than T51p. It sounded close, very close to HD650 that I love dearly. It has made my flying time flew away too fast. Now I can enjoy an audiophile experience in-flight without noise in or out.

Sadly, T51p has to go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back