The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Sep 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #3,737 of 4,308
Just wanted to report I was finally able to twist off the side caps from my DT48's to check out the insides. Have to say that putting the caps back but leaving the screw holes open has an interesting effect on the lower frequencies. Anyone else try this?

Haven't try'ed it without the screw but did change from the two holed screw to a regular slotted screw. Try the dt 480s they have the same driver as the 48's but are in a different housing, a bit more musical sounding to me. Alas beyer discontinued the DT 48's

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #3,738 of 4,308
The bass becomes fuller, as the driver is less damped. Beyer used to brag about that the back lid and cup were machined to such small tolerances as to make the unit hermetically sealed. However, the rubber grommet for the cable is hardly airtight, and we're not sure exactly how the driver/cup arrangement were supposed to work originally. This is after all a headphone from 1937 that was modified in several areas during the decades.

I wrote about the sound with the lids off somewhere in this thread, and suggested that owners could try different degrees of sealing (i e different sizes of the back hole/opening) that would change the damping of the drivers, resulting in more or less bass. There is an equilibrium to find there somewhere.

That very closed pad seal is another factor. In the last generation pads the seal was quite tight, and the space inside with the inner pad reduced. This affects the cavity resonance which gives the bass a high Q, at 80-100 Hz if I remember correctly, and this should become smoother with less seal, which on the other hand seems to reduce bass level.

Quite some room for experimentation here, I would say.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3,740 of 4,308
  The bass becomes fuller, as the driver is less damped. Beyer used to brag about that the back lid and cup were machined to such small tolerances as to make the unit hermetically sealed.

I wrote about the sound with the lids off somewhere in this thread, and suggested that owners could try different degrees of sealing (i e different sizes of the back hole/opening) that would change the damping of the drivers, resulting in more or less bass. There is an equilibrium to find there somewhere.

That very closed pad seal is another factor. In the last generation pads the seal was quite tight, and the space inside with the inner pad reduced.

You are absolutely right. I am using my DT48's with some modded ATH M50 pads that do not have any openings in the inner folds, so when using the headphones with closed backs, the highs sound a bit painful and bass is anemic. Removing the small screws that hold the cups onto the sides while keeping the cups on helps to hear/feel lowers freqs better. Hell, if I remove the cup completely it sounds good  too.

I will order some original DT48 pads to see how different the sound is though. My old original pads wore off :frowning2:

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #3,744 of 4,308
I remember reading somewhere, that in studio monitors, the best aluminium tweeters can match the performance of an electrostatic speaker. 

Isn't the DT48 like a small aluminium tweeter connected to your ears?

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #3,747 of 4,308
What kind of material is the capsule? Acetone is pretty good for removing glue residues.. But if the surface is painted it might remove the paint also^ so be careful

Just enjoying some Submotion Orchestra (sort of jazz influenced dubstep) on my DT48. This band is very well recorded and it shows. The DT48 sound fantastic.

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3,748 of 4,308
  What kind of material is the capsule? Acetone is pretty good for removing glue residues.. But if the surface is painted it might remove the paint also^ so be careful

Just enjoying some Submotion Orchestra (sort of jazz influenced dubstep) on my DT48. This band is very well recorded and it shows. The DT48 sound absolutely fantastic..

I recently purchased a early 70's 200ohm DT48..I changed the pads from rubber to foam. The sound is eerily stat like. It could also be my new amp and dac.. Better then my 701 and 2010 DT48.

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #3,750 of 4,308
Here´s some feedback on using a pair of HD25 velour pads with my DT48E 25ohm (not tested with the DT48As) after a couple of months listening tests.
These little fat pads have a significant impact on sound quality - don't need more than a few tracks to spot it.

It changes the overall character of the cans. Bottom line is, yes, you do get more bass.

However, the magical clarity is gone, you get the average mids of any other mid range dynamic headphone. Highs don't have "dat" air in them also. It's quite nice on electronic music or anything not too timbre rich (but I'm too demanding in this area anyway). It's still furiously fast sounding and the pads are way more confortable. I'm yet to test these pads with the cups open or semi-open... maybe later :)

I don't think anyone with a single pair of DT48 will want this pads on them as a permanent solution, YMMV.

I'll have a go next with DT1350 velours if I can find them at a good price. Don't know what it is that we are constantly trying to improve stuff even when what you have for starters is so amazing to begin with...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back