The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jul 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #3,706 of 4,308
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #3,707 of 4,308
Quote:
After having read so much about the DT-48 and considering the fact that the production has ended a few month ago I could not resist and ordered a brand new DT48 E  200 Ohm (it is already no longer listed in most German music equipment online stores).
UPS delivered them today. I could not hold back and had to unpack them at work. The first pleasant surprise was the lack of flashy packaging. Just a small box with some protective materials. Very professional. The build quality is also every nice. Compared to the DT48E my trusty AKG K702 looks like a fragile plastic toy.

So far I have spent less than a hour listening to them. I own a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear amp which is connected to the line-out of my iPod and a Grace Design M 903 DAC/amp connected to my Power Mac, so amp wise I should be doing fine, I think.
The first thing I noticed is the lack of bass. Listening to rap will probably not be my favorite use case for the DT-48 E. The soundstage also sounds very closed. But after skipping through a few tracks I came across an audio drama and the quality of the vocals are really astonishing. It completely sounds like one is stands in the recording booth next to the voice actors. After that I tried "The Hazards of Love" by "The Decemberists" and was again pleasantly surprised by the quality of the vocals. The lack of bass was also less noticeable than with the rap tracks. I'm currently listening to "Works for Me" by John Scofield and like how its sound (apart from the claustrophobic soundstage. But it is a closed headphone after all). I guess I have to get used to it.

It's hard to judge this headphone because it can change night and day depending on the recording. There are times, when I listen to the DT48, and think.. Wow, these sound awful.. Then, I listen again to another track, and they sound drop dead amazing.. The bass, type of bass, and extension does very based on how the track was recorded.. Sound stage can get bigger, wider, or more narrow based on the recording.. I never heard such a change with my 701, and the T1 I owned.. The more you listen, the more it will show.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #3,708 of 4,308
Quote:
It's hard to judge this headphone because it can change night and day depending on the recording. There are times, when I listen to the DT48, and think.. Wow, these sound awful.. Then, I listen again to another track, and they sound drop dead amazing.. The bass, type of bass, and extension does very based on how the track was recorded.. Sound stage can get bigger, wider, or more narrow based on the recording.. I never heard such a change with my 701, and the T1 I owned.. The more you listen, the more it will show.

I will certainly not given up on them so easily. And your are right about the bass. Listening to some Russian rap ("Как На Ладони" by "Mansarda") revealed an altogether different lower end than the with the German rap I tried before. While the bass sounded extremely flat on the German tracks, it was quite smooth while certainly not overpowering on the Russian ones.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #3,709 of 4,308
My DT48As just in. They need a recable which will be done tonight. 48E earpds will replace the rubber stuff. Let's see what else I'm in for with these 
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #3,710 of 4,308
After the recable (standard Beyer cable) and installing the 48E pads on these 48As I'm nothing short of amazed as there is more detail, more mids and the most lovely timpani and shimmering cymbals I have ever heard. I expected less bass, but not really - just more texture. What a winning combo on these now discontinued cans. I'll be playing with different pads in the near future for the E pair :)

My drivers are numbered A10125/6, btw.

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #3,711 of 4,308
Quote:
After the recable (standard Beyer cable) and installing the 48E pads on these 48As I'm nothing short of amazed as there is more detail, more mids and the most lovely timpani and shimmering cymbals I have ever heard. I expected less bass, but not really - just more texture. What a winning combo on these now discontinued cans. I'll be playing with different pads in the near future for the E pair :)

My drivers are numbered A10125/6, btw.

I have the 2010 model. I love them for work and anayzing voices.. In my opinion, the DT48 is pretty flawless in terms of voice authenticity. I know you can get pads directly from Beyers.. But where did you get them from?

Jul 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3,712 of 4,308
Search for ConnectAudio on the bay - they are UK based and have a few in stock. Beyer should also provide any parts that you may need if you contact them directly.

I'm listening to Pavarotti on Donizetti as I type and... that voice!

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3,713 of 4,308
I say with great regret that I have sold my DT48. They just got such little use because they were so mint that I couldn't justify keeping them at the price I was offered. But they're in good hands; they're now owned by a serious collector (I counted at least three pairs of K1000s among many other impressive headphones). I may rejoin in the future, with a more worn-out pair.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #3,714 of 4,308
I bought this because I've been always embarassed with the heat within the earpads.

With them, you won't have the perspiration problem anymore but the comfort is not that good. 

If you have any brilliant idea, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

H.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #3,715 of 4,308
Did you make a hole in the middle? It's a sin to obscure any detail coming from the drivers with even the thinnest cloth.

I'm looking into playing with other pads and see what happens. Not ordered yet as I'm now playing with the 48As, but I'm thinking either DT1350 or HD25 pads - I've read about this solution on a french pro audio forum where these cans seem to be popular. Not only they seem to prevent the sweat build up but also gives the user more bass. The thing to find out is what are you giving up with this solution - more bass and less detail?
Somewhere on this thread Kees used DT340 (I think) velour pads, but had to build an acrylic or plastic adapter to make them fit.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #3,716 of 4,308
Quote:
I say with great regret that I have sold my DT48. They just got such little use because they were so mint that I couldn't justify keeping them at the price I was offered. But they're in good hands; they're now owned by a serious collector (I counted at least three pairs of K1000s among many other impressive headphones). I may rejoin in the future, with a more worn-out pair.

You've had a troubled affair with these :)
A few have sold on the bay recently on pretty affordable prices. I got my 48A for 60€ :) ... not counting the recable, new pads and shipping :s

Aug 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #3,717 of 4,308
My DT48S is at a technician.
Just for a check if it needs maintenance.

I'll use my AKG K 272 HD for now.

For sure better in the lows, not too emphasized, rather clean and neat.
But the highs are bit like a big swamp, they are there yes. But far less definition like the DT 48S.
Does this come as a suprise ? No...

I miss the fastness of the DT48S, the way it can distinguish the highs to voices and all instruments.
The AKG makes the highs a bit like a swamp, can't distinguish it good enough.

The AKG is a good headphone, I'm happy with it.

I hope I get my DT48S back soon.

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #3,719 of 4,308
Just listening to "Amy Winehouse - You know i'm no good". Wow, this clarity is unmatched.

Only bad thing is that there is slight distortion in the recording, it sounds slightly like some kind of vinyl scratch. More pronounced on right channel. Easily heard with the DT48....

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,720 of 4,308
Now I listened to "Culprate - Tentacle". In the recording there is a slight sound like there was stuff dropping into the ground.. I took the headphones three times off and started thinking I was schizophrenic, since it sounded so real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back