The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Mar 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3,678 of 4,308
It might be a bit newer because of the non-Sn covers.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,679 of 4,308
I just received an older pair of DT48Es from ebay and these are amazing. I'm glad this thread exists. Using pictures from here I figured out how to replace the earpads and rewire them with a new cable, so thank you to those who posted the pictures. Forgive me if this was asked, I can't find it, but what are the rounded grey pads made of? I used the black leather and foam ones and was wondering what the difference was.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #3,680 of 4,308
They're hardish rubber (at least mine were) and incredibly painful. I'm assuming they have less bass (don't have the E pads) because they have less of a seal.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #3,681 of 4,308
They're hardish rubber (at least mine were) and incredibly painful. I'm assuming they have less bass (don't have the E pads) because they have less of a seal.

Ah, thanks. I was hoping they were some kind of foam composite. I noticed moisture in the pads I have now and was looking for alternatives. Someone mentioned it was sweat, but my ears are dry and cool. I'm thinking the aluminum drivers and housing are just causing moisture in the air to condense, but I don't know how to remedy that.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #3,682 of 4,308
Guys, need some help..

So I have weird problem in my DT48's (new 2010 version), every sometime when I move with the headphones on my head, I get a crackling sound from my DAC and I think the DAC is shutting itself off because of short circuit..

I've tried to twist the cable, shake the headphones and whatever but I can only get it to happen with my DT48 when i'm wearing them?!

The cost of these HP's was not actually cheap so i'm a bit scared they may be broken.. Hopefully not. Any ideas what there could be loose or broken? I've not yet tried to disassemble them.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #3,685 of 4,308
I've always had problems like this until about a month ago. I had a dac with a metal housing, so I made sure it was touching my pc case, which was grounded. No shocks since then. Don't know if will work for you though. My problem is that it's dry and cold here, plus I move around a lot.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3,686 of 4,308
Quote:
I've always had problems like this until about a month ago. I had a dac with a metal housing, so I made sure it was touching my pc case, which was grounded. No shocks since then. Don't know if will work for you though. My problem is that it's dry and cold here, plus I move around a lot.

My DAC has a plastic case, but i'm using onboard dac now and it does the same thing.

By the way I tried touching my DAC's headphone output socket with the outer tip of the DT48 3.5mm plug, and this also "zaps" the DAC off..

Could it be a problem with the cable?

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #3,687 of 4,308
In my experience, the fact the onboard dac is in the computer makes no difference with static discharge. There may be a problem with the cord, but I think it's more likely you're just building up electricity somehow. It may not have been noticeable with other headphones. Have you tried wearing an electrostatic discharge strap?

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3,688 of 4,308
Quote:
In my experience, the fact the onboard dac is in the computer makes no difference with static discharge. There may be a problem with the cord, but I think it's more likely you're just building up electricity somehow. It may not have been noticeable with other headphones. Have you tried wearing an electrostatic discharge strap?

Haven't.

Is there a way to check there's everything ok with the headphones themselves..?

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #3,689 of 4,308
I don't know of any "for sure" way of checking.  If they sound fine, then I can't imagine they're broken.  You haven't given specifics about how you listen to them so it's hard to say.  Looking at your old headphones they almost all look like plastic cups, or have some plastic or foam between your ears and the drivers.  With these headphones you basically have two giant electrical conductors on your ears, so it makes perfect sense to me that you've always been generating some static electricity and now with these, you just happen to notice it because they allow the charge to reach ground easily.  Maybe the air is dry and you could try a humidifier to see if it makes a difference.  Or douse yourself with static guard.  If you can eliminate your ability to accumulate a charge, and then they don't make your equipment pop, I think that's as close to "sure" as you can be via testing on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back