The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Mar 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #3,016 of 4,307

Quote:
You both are wasting your time arguing about the tonal balance of the DT48 because the only thing you are actually listening with the DT48 is the tonal balance of the rest of your system
biggrin.gif
 And of course your own HRTF but results should then be consistent across headphones.

<end quote>

Ha! thanks. I wonder if anyone would challenge that point. I for one won't do it. I especially like listening to big jazz band arrangements with them, like on some of the old Frank sinatra recordings. Sounds very true to what I heard when playing in jazz bands and orchestras when young. The dt48 midrange is also wonderful for vocals.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #3,017 of 4,307
I've a problem with my DT48:  one channel is significantly louder than the other.  I'm not familiar with electronics, but I do have tried to bypass the cord, by putting the source contacts on the inner cooper plate, inside the cup; got the same lower / higher volume.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the same error and whether they managed to solve it.  I remember one user who mentioned this here and tried to get in touch.  Other than that I'm open for opinions...

For what it's worth, this DT48 is relatively old (1960), and has 2 separate connections (2 plugs).

Thanks

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #3,018 of 4,307
We all eventually pass away one day... Seems like your DT48 has come to this point
tongue.gif

You might want to consult a necromancer to bring your DT48 back to life
biggrin.gif

Quote:
For what it's worth, this DT48 is relatively old (1960), and has 2 separate connections (2 plugs).

Thanks

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #3,019 of 4,307
Do you think closed headphones could have an inherent advantage over open headphones when it comes to details retrieval, especially those with great sealing characteristics ?

The remaining ambient noise floor is almost never below 40dB. Wouldn't that naturally reduce the perceived resolution and details in a heapdhone ?

The DT48 are extremely detailed (easily superior to me to the HD800) but at the same time, also provide the best natural noise cancelation blocking out all external sounds, giving very often this sensation of listening in an anechoic room. Coincidence or consequence ? What do you think ?

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #3,020 of 4,307
Do you think closed headphones could have an inherent advantage over open headphones when it comes to details retrieval, especially those with great sealing characteristics ?

The remaining ambient noise floor is almost never below 40dB. Wouldn't that naturally reduce the perceived resolution and details in a heapdhone ?

The DT48 are extremely detailed (easily superior to me to the HD800) but at the same time, also provide the best natural noise cancelation blocking out all external sounds, giving very often this sensation of listening in an anechoic room. Coincidence or consequence ? What do you think ?

i mentioned this in the stax c32 thread a while ago... Also, DT48s are very good in mid range. That + the isolation = better for your ears (I tend to really crank it up with my stax setups because of the noise from the nearby road/typing)/cheaper for your waller for a comparable mids experience.

I really don't regret buying a DT48e despite the comfort issues. At least while my proper DAC is out of service and I'm stuck with MD11. The sound is pretty amazing, considering how much of a PoS the MD11 is :D . Interestingly,I don't notice any mids coloration on the DT48e. Which is usually not the case in any closed cans I use to date.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #3,021 of 4,307

Indeed, I realized ambient noise could be a source of "pollution" for detail and resolution performance as I was playing with the Decibel app on my iTouch in my listening room... Can't get it lower than 45dB even at night and I am living in a peacfull and quiet place 
frown.gif

Would it be safe to assume as well that the reduction in noise floor could allow for a greater perceived dynamic range, which would contribute to make instrument sound so much alive with the DT48 ?

Quote:
i mentioned this in the stax c32 thread a while ago... Also, DT48s are very good in mid range. That + the isolation = better for your ears (I tend to really crank it up with my stax setups because of the noise from the nearby road/typing)/cheaper for your waller for a comparable mids experience.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #3,022 of 4,307
This is why I dont like open headphones. I dont care how amazing your open headphones are, it dosent matter when I can hear other sounds leaking in, which destroys the music and mood.

If you compared a $10 IEM to a HD800 in a crowded subway station, the IEM would win IMO simply because the isolation would let you hear the music better. 

Compare the two in a dead quiet studio and the story is different. 

With sealed vs. closed sound quality alone, id say it just depends on if its a good design or well engineered. It might be easier and cheaper to design a good sounding open phone. But beyer seemed to get the DT48 right.

using isolating headphones in an already quiet room is amazing. You hear nothing but the music. Using open headphones in a quiet room is required. And it still dosent give you that cacoon effect.    

Quote:
Indeed, I realized ambient noise could be a source of "pollution" for detail and resolution performance as I was playing with the Decibel app on my iTouch in my listening room... Can't get it lower than 45dB even at night and I am living in a peacfull and quiet place 
frown.gif

Would it be safe to assume as well that the reduction in noise floor could allow for a greater perceived dynamic range, which would contribute to make instrument sound so much alive with the DT48 ?

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #3,023 of 4,307
Quote:
We all eventually pass away one day... Seems like your DT48 has come to this point
tongue.gif

You might want to consult a necromancer to bring your DT48 back to life
biggrin.gif

Haha, well said 
biggrin.gif

But I'd still like to know if anyone's experienced that too.  I remember KBI also had this sort of problem too, but he's somehow managed to get it fixed.

The 'quieter' channel sounds very good by all means, it produces everything right, just at a lower volume.  I could use the balance controller on my source if it was my only choice.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3,025 of 4,307

Quote:

Haha, well said 
biggrin.gif

But I'd still like to know if anyone's experienced that too.  I remember KBI also had this sort of problem too, but he's somehow managed to get it fixed.

The 'quieter' channel sounds very good by all means, it produces everything right, just at a lower volume.  I could use the balance controller on my source if it was my only choice.

Talk to Alex from APureSound. He fixed them I think.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #3,026 of 4,307
The DT48s have the most incredible cymbal reproduction I've ever heard. I don't think any other dynamic I've heard even comes close with the realism the DT48 produces a cymbal hit. I love my K501s for what they do and how they sound, but cymbals just don't sound... right. They're too shimmery.

For those of you know know what I'm talking about (or own K501s) how would you describe this? Is it detail? Shimmer? Sparkle? Cymbal reproduction is probably my biggest nitpick with a lot of headphones; I've spent a lot of money trying to find a headphone that does everything, including cymbals, right. Has anyone heard another dynamic that reproduces cymbals like the DT48s do?

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #3,027 of 4,307

Quote:

I've very often felt this to be the case.  It's quite obvious with well fitted IEMs and customs.  There's a reason I only have two open headsets.

So do others find the DT48 more detailed than the HD800 as well?  Anyone here also listen to or have the IERM?

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #3,028 of 4,307
Quote:
The DT48s have the most incredible cymbal reproduction I've ever heard. I don't think any other dynamic I've heard even comes close with the realism the DT48 produces a cymbal hit. I love my K501s for what they do and how they sound, but cymbals just don't sound... right. They're too shimmery.

For those of you know know what I'm talking about (or own K501s) how would you describe this? Is it detail? Shimmer? Sparkle? Cymbal reproduction is probably my biggest nitpick with a lot of headphones; I've spent a lot of money trying to find a headphone that does everything, including cymbals, right. Has anyone heard another dynamic that reproduces cymbals like the DT48s do?

Having a bunch of 'studio' headphones I know what you mean. The stock DT48E still surprises me in a pleasant manner and is in a class of its own with the CD900 ST. Of the other headphones I am still not sure.

The thing is that cymbals and high hats are always hit with a certain intention that fits the 'composition'. My Pioneer Monitor 8, even though more fun oriented has the same kind of 'sparkle' my DT48E has but the low end is - pleasantly - more emphasized.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #3,029 of 4,307
From reading the huge HD800 thread. (Give me a award please) One multiple owner feels the 800 is more detailed. Another owner feels they are on par with each other. & one who auditioned the HD800 & owns the DT48 says the 800 seems more detailed, but that could be do to the treble emphasis in the highs, & greater separation of the instruments. So he says the HD800 could be more detailed. Even asking this question is pretty crazy. We are talking about 1937 technology here. Either headphones hasn't advanced as much over the yrs, or the DT48 were made by the Mayans who learned the skill from aliens.

Quote:
I've very often felt this to be the case.  It's quite obvious with well fitted IEMs and customs.  There's a reason I only have two open headsets.

So do others find the DT48 more detailed than the HD800 as well?  Anyone here also listen to or have the IERM?

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3,030 of 4,307

Thanks Judy for pointing that out ! I definitely think that the slightly treble tilted response of the HD800 (at least compared to the DT48) gives the impression of greater detail but when closely listening to both the DT48A and HD800 side by side, it was very clear the HD800 could not convey subtle and low level intonation in mids and vocals for example, or even studio reverb or convey the inmensity of a free field in a live recording. However, I think both headphone are well above average when it comes to details retrieval but that alone doesn't necesarly garantee in fine an overall satisfying musical experience.

Maybe Eugene Beyer was actually an alien
biggrin.gif
 but I believe the strength of the DT48 do lie in a very clever engineering and design, which has probably improved over the year. Someone mentioned the differences between pads in earliers generation and its impact on sound. So of course, beeing the first headphone ever created gives you a clear edge for incremental performance improvements over the decades.

Quote:
From reading the huge HD800 thread. (Give me a award please) One multiple owner feels the 800 is more detailed. Another owner feels they are on par with each other. & one who auditioned the HD800 & owns the DT48 says the 800 seems more detailed, but that could be do to the treble emphasis in the highs, & greater separation of the instruments. So he says the HD800 could be more detailed. Even asking this question is pretty crazy. We are talking about 1937 technology here. Either headphones hasn't advanced as much over the yrs, or the DT48 were made by the Mayans who learned the skill from aliens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back