The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Oct 7, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #2,551 of 4,308

Maybe I shuold give it a try indeed, if it somehow helps soundstage and imaging... Just fear they will be some trade off doing so.

BTW, look at the CD900ST FR chart response... I see no low end bass uber bloated at all, and can't hear any neither... Rather fast and lean bass response. 

Well, if you're happy w/ the CD900ST..more power to you
smily_headphones1.gif

Its bass was as "one note" as can get and as bad as a DT770/Pro to my ears, possibly worse. And its previous owner fully agreed w/ me(he owns two AT, w1k and ad2k). When A/B'ing against the cd3k, it was a clear knock out...its bass was far more articulated and refined. If there's one thing 40mm drivers cannot do, it's deep bass IME.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #2,552 of 4,308
Mmmm, this is not what I was implying. Those FR charts were merely informative to understand possible differences in the low bass response between the CD900ST and T50RP
redface.gif

Quote:
There is no way one can determine driver speed by looking at frequency response graphs - this is clear evidence of misinformation.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #2,553 of 4,308
Lately, Ive been listening to alot of music under the "mashup" genre, in which DJ's mix multiple pre-recorded songs. My favorite mashup artist is called Girl Talk. Its a mix of classic rock and hip-hop. It sounds rediculous, and yes its stolen from other artists (the record label is named Illegal Art). But it is very well put together.  

I love to listen to mashup with the DT-48. Alot of times, there is 10 different songs blended together within just one track. It really shows off the chameleon like characteristics of the DT48. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #2,554 of 4,308
Anyone have an idea how good a pairing these DT48e's (25ohm) and audio-gd C2 headphone amp would be? I have little to no technical understanding of these things to be honest.
I'm choosing between these and Sennheiser HD 600 (Used to have these and love them), although I'll probably end up having both headphones at some point in future. HD600's are probably the better allrounder? I watch a lot of TV series and movies with headphones. I like neutral and realistic sound and listen to almost every genre of music except electronic stuff, trance, tecno and such. Is DT48 considered to sound good with lots of genres like HD600 is? I have this impression that it's not a great idea to have DT48 as your only phones.

Lots of questions, I'll try to reread this thread to get better understanding for now! =)

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #2,555 of 4,308
The Senn 600 is a good headphone. Very smooth and forgiving, laid back, spacious. Not harsh or in your face like Grado.  

The DT48 are studio monitors. Monitors are very recording dependent (that is their job), and will sound boring and lifeless compared to the HD600. The DT48 basically sound extremely uncolored, to the point of sounding "ordinary". There is nothing added to the music, which makes things less exiteing but it tells you the truth. Really, not everyone will like the DT48 sound, but it is damn good for its intended purpose, which is monitoring recordings and acoustic investigations. They are made for work. The DT48 can sound good with any genre, but it really depends on the recording. Most commercial pop music, hiphop, etc.. is recorded badly compared to jazz, classical, classic rock, etc... The DT48 will show you. 

So yes, id say the HD600 would be your safe bet. Alot of people like them. I thought they were fairly balanced, detailed, and sounded quite nice. Very smooth and forgiving sound. Not very recording dependent, but will sound good with anything basically. Only get the DT48 if you know its what you want. 
Quote:
Anyone have an idea how good a pairing these DT48e's (25ohm) and audio-gd C2 headphone amp would be? I have little to no technical understanding of these things to be honest.
I'm choosing between these and Sennheiser HD 600 (Used to have these and love them), although I'll probably end up having both headphones at some point in future. HD600's are probably the better allrounder? I watch a lot of TV series and movies with headphones. I like neutral and realistic sound and listen to almost every genre of music except electronic stuff, trance, tecno and such. Is DT48 considered to sound good with lots of genres like HD600 is? I have this impression that it's not a great idea to have DT48 as your only phones.

Lots of questions, I'll try to reread this thread to get better understanding for now! =)

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2,556 of 4,308

I believe the Audio-gd C2 would make a nice pairing for the DT48. Its output power is rated at 1W into 62ohms, which seems more than enough to drive the 25 ohms version properly.

You are absolutely right about possible limitations having only the DT48... I do listen to mine whenever I look for an active listening sesion, digging into a recording or looking for a realistic experience (dynamic and lifelike). But they are not indicated for long and relaxed listening sesions and you might want to find them a suitable partner. But be warned, once you have heard a recording through the DT48, and if you trully enjoy them, well, many headphones will sound broken to your ears... It is not an easy job in my experience to look for a headphone that you can swap easily with the DT48 without sistematically going through a 10 minutes aclimatation phase. I do enjoy currently the Fostex T50RP as "secondary" headphone. Maybe others can also share what secondary headphones they are using.

Quote:

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #2,557 of 4,308
Not sure if it's comperable, but running AKG K271's at the moment, which are studio phones and considered "boring" neutral and not bassy. Still able to enjoy the sound a lot and get very drawn in to some songs, also I don't really find these lacking bass. So guessing DT48 could be to my taste.
I do listen quite a bit of rap and hiphop, but not really expecting to get same amount of enjoyment HD600 would provide, willing to do this sacrifice for now!
Guessing I "have" to get both, just need to decide which one first. Just feels wrong buying both after just blowing 1000€ to DAC & AMP. Head-fi is such a vicious place!!

Btw how is the comfort? I often keep my phones on for many hours straight. I know HD600 after loosing up is fantastic, hard to even notice they're on!

Thanks for the replies!

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #2,558 of 4,308
Youll probably like the DT48. Rap and hiphop can actually sound great on the DT48, for example, Bone Thugs & Harmony, Timbaland, Nelly has good recordings. T-Pain however sounds terrible with DT-48.  

Comfort is not very good to be honest. The headband clamp is like a vice grip. They also develop sweat and moisture inside the earcups after extended periods. They are also heavy as hell. The earpads are good enough, its just the intense clamp they have that is tiring after awhile. It took awhile to get used to, but I usually can listen through an entire album straight before taking a break. 

Quote:
Not sure if it's comperable, but running AKG K271's at the moment, which are studio phones and considered "boring" neutral and not bassy. Still able to enjoy the sound a lot and get very drawn in to some songs, also I don't really find these lacking bass. So guessing DT48 could be to my taste.
I do listen quite a bit of rap and hiphop, but not really expecting to get same amount of enjoyment HD600 would provide, willing to do this sacrifice for now!
Guessing I "have" to get both, just need to decide which one first. Just feels wrong buying both after just blowing 1000€ to DAC & AMP. Head-fi is such a vicious place!!

Btw how is the comfort? I often keep my phones on for many hours straight. I know HD600 after loosing up is fantastic, hard to even notice they're on!

Thanks for the replies!

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #2,559 of 4,308
Thats cool. Liking the older stuff more, so theres probably higher chance of it sounding good/decent.
Too bad about the comfort, comfirms how these are probably not the best choice for your only phones, if you happen to be a heavy listener.
Anyway went ahead and ordered. I'll try to drop a little review here when I get them.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #2,560 of 4,308

Another women on head fi. Is this common? The DT48s look to heavy to be on my small head.. & not ideal for portable use from the looks of the all steel design. The Piathon 400 looks cool & seem more comfy.. Looks, portability & comfort are big in my book IMO.. & from what I read has a more 'forging' sound.. But, good luck with your choice. They seem like a hit or miss type phone.. I should go to meets to figure out what type of sound I want.. Headfi seems like a great place for this..
Quote:
Thats cool. Liking the older stuff more, so theres probably higher chance of it sounding good/decent.
Too bad about the comfort, comfirms how these are probably not the best choice for your only phones, if you happen to be a heavy listener.
Anyway went ahead and ordered. I'll try to drop a little review here when I get them.

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #2,561 of 4,308
Not very common at all. Its probably just the avatar he is using. I love the carbon fiber look of the phiaton headphones. Anyways, going to a meet is a good idea, especially if your new to this. BTW, welcome to head-fi! 

Quote:
Another women on head fi. Is this common? The DT48s look to heavy to be on my small head.. & not ideal for portable use from the looks of the all steel design. The Piathon 400 looks cool & seem more comfy.. Looks, portability & comfort are big in my book IMO.. & from what I read has a more 'forging' sound.. But, good luck with your choice. They seem like a hit or miss type phone.. I should go to meets to figure out what type of sound I want.. Headfi seems like a great place for this..

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #2,562 of 4,308

Quote:
I believe the Audio-gd C2 would make a nice pairing for the DT48. Its output power is rated at 1W into 62ohms, which seems more than enough to drive the 25 ohms version properly.

You are absolutely right about possible limitations having only the DT48... I do listen to mine whenever I look for an active listening sesion, digging into a recording or looking for a realistic experience (dynamic and lifelike). But they are not indicated for long and relaxed listening sesions and you might want to find them a suitable partner. But be warned, once you have heard a recording through the DT48, and if you trully enjoy them, well, many headphones will sound broken to your ears... It is not an easy job in my experience to look for a headphone that you can swap easily with the DT48 without sistematically going through a 10 minutes aclimatation phase. I do enjoy currently the Fostex T50RP as "secondary" headphone. Maybe others can also share what secondary headphones they are using.

My other can is a modded K340 a la KT88 but I barely take it off the shelves these days. I've also a DT880 but I've practically forgot about it and I will probably sell it. I can listen to my DT48-S for very long sessions never needing to use anything else. Just after a couple of hours the top of my ears starts aching and need to take a break. I listen to almost everything but Regge, Rap, Hip-Hop, Techno and similar banalities.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #2,563 of 4,308
[size=medium]The DT 48A 5 ohm, DT48S 25 ohm, the Sony CD-3000 and the Sennheiser HD-800[/size]

[size=medium]Do you remember when you were a kid there was a little bottle marked “vanilla extract” in your pantry? You would take off the top and get a big whiff…megavanilla! The Beyer DT-48 should be marked “midrange extract”. It’s almost like the DT-48 thinks that if it’s not midrange, it’s not all that important. So you get a subdued bass, a noticeable treble rolloff and absolutely no concession to “head stage”. The DT-48 is resolutely a headphone with no aspirations to be a speaker.[/size]

[size=medium]So the discussion must center on the midrange. It’s true blue, articulate and quite detailed. And because the bass and treble are laid back, the ear is mostly led to the excellent midrange. Since the midrange is where the message is, the DT-48 is a great musical communicator. [/size]

[size=medium]The bass that is present is very articulate providing a credible foundation without ever specifically drawing the ear and the treble is brown velvet, contributing to an overall tendency towards a dark presentation. The one thing that seems a bit of a fly in the ointment is a tendency towards a bit of emphasis in the upper midrange that can at times make things a little shouty. [/size]

[size=medium]As far as the differences between the DT-48a and the DT-48s, the DT-48s is a bit brighter in the treble and the upper midrange shouts a bit less. But it’s also a little less articulate in the midrange, so it’s a somewhat less DT-48 than most DT-48 flavors. [/size]

[size=medium]The Sony provides a contrast. It (like the Sennheiser) aspires to true full range status which, by itself, will tend to make the midrange blend into the sound more. It’s a beautiful headphone to listen to without being overly euphonic. The bass is full and has good power, though it’s a tiny bit rubbery. The midrange also emphasizes beauty over sheer detail. The treble sounds to me middle-hall but clear and natural. There must be something to the biocellulose diaphragm; the Sony’s are very inviting and friendly. The head stage is wide, maybe a bit too much without the depth to balance the width. I suspect they are a headphone that may not be any ones absolute favorite, but few would not like.[/size]

[size=medium]The Sennheiser sounds a bit more “studio monitor” sounding than the Sony. They sound fully lit as opposed to the DT-48’s velvet twilight, and the Sony’s subdued lighting. They sound a bit more front of hall than the Sony but with the clarity and definition that infers. The head stage is, to me, very natural for a headphone (but still miles behind a speaker). The bass is extended and very even with excellent pitch definition, but may not exhibit the “punch” that many people like. Really, technical virtues abound (they sound VERY low in distortion) but, unlike the DT-48 which is more than the sum of it’s parts, it is JUST the sum of it’s parts. It’s can seem so evenhanded and clear as to be a bit boring to some, I suspect. Still, it portrays an orchestra about as well as any phone I have heard, overall.[/size]

[size=medium]The bottom line? The DT-48 is sui generis, that is a law into itself. It’s futile to compare it or try to rate it, it’s a DT-48, period. As far as the Sony and Sennheiser, they are headphones for different moods. I would not say either is superior to the other, actually they are complimentary. And neither is anything like perfect. I could live with either. But they are both to me firmly in the ranks of  the top phones.[/size]

[size=medium]Kevin[/size]

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #2,564 of 4,308

[size=medium]The DT 48A 5 ohm, DT48S 25 ohm, the Sony CD-3000 and the Sennheiser HD-800[/size]

[size=medium]Do you remember when you were a kid there was a little bottle marked “vanilla extract” in your pantry? You would take off the top and get a big whiff…megavanilla! The Beyer DT-48 should be marked “midrange extract”.[/size]

So if the DT48 is "midrange extract", I'd take a wild guess at saying that the (modded) T50RP is "highly concentrated -be careful- midrange extract"...I've owned the cd3k/cd900st and so BTW
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back