The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Nov 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #2,581 of 4,303

I am not sure if "clipping" is the correct technical word to be used. Most significant effect at least with the Lavry amp (low output impedance) is very harsh higher frequencies. I also think volume control is an issue, as the cable reflection is almost completely reduced, allowing for a perfect energy transfer from the amp to the headphones.

Quote:
So if I'm understanding you Shamu, a low output imedance, of say less than 1 ohm, would cause clipping with the DT48a? What would be the 'effect' on the frequency response? Thanks

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #2,582 of 4,303
 DT-48 pron!:  

Original page: http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/beyer/DT-48.html  
(google translate dosent work for this page but yahoo does)

Im not sure if its just the photo, but it looks like the headband and lettering is brass, and the cable is thick as hell. Someone needs to come forth and give imformation about the eugene beyer dt48's. Mabey Mr. Groff can tell us about them? 

EDIT: these are 250 ohm! From the website:

[size=medium] In the product catalog of Matsuda commerce era it was out.
But according to “the recording &PA equipment 2000-2001” it seems that 250Ω version was sold even in Matsuda commerce era.
At that time as for the specifications other than of the thing where price is the ¥60,000 corresponds to the catalog of televising industrial age.
[/size]
[size=medium]
([teiatsuku] age 2008)
DT-48E/25
* Price ¥62,000
* Impedance 250Ω
* Playback frequency zone 5-30,000Hz
* Allowance input 100mW
* Sensitivity 97dB
* Weight 250g (cord/code not being included)
[/size]
[size=medium] (The prototype of DT-48 which is published to catalog of Matsuda commerce era?)[/size]

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #2,583 of 4,303
Thanks Eyedrop for digging this information. I have never heard of a 250 ohms DT48. Interesting. It really looks like a DT48 with different specifications. However, the second picture is I believe the original DT48 from 1937...

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #2,584 of 4,303
If this really is from 1937, & that is the stock cable, it really embarrasses some ultra hi end headphone stock cable I been looking at.. D7000/K1000/HP2/L3000.. Does look like a torture device though..lol I do know things were built better in the 'good ole' days.. I seen some 1920 fans that look more like art then anything else.. All metal.. & my mothers 65 Mustang puts modern cars to shame in terms of material being used.. Kind of reminds me of math.. You should NEVER take short cuts.. Just do the calculations & get it right, even though it's more tedious, it will reward you with perseverance among other positive attributes.

Still looks very uncomfortable for a girl will a small head & neck..

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #2,585 of 4,303
Been using DT48e for a while now!
At first they were uncomfortable, but alot better now. The clamp is tight and doesn't really loosen up in use I would guess, but somehow I've gotten used to it. One more negative thing about comfort is how heavy these are, it might make your necks sore if you use them for many many hours in one go. Still in terms of comfort these phones are actually ok, better than I expected.
I also noticed after very first use, how it build some sweat inside the cup, so much that I was kinda scared if it could damage the phone!?
About sound quality, this I have trouble describing so I won't even try too much. Lets just say I feel it sounds very clear and natural. Prefer these over AKG 271 with most of my music. The bass sounds weird, but thats what I always feel with new phones. I really can't say for better or worse, kinda think that all headphones have weird sounding bass. :p

These are not the best match with my new audio-gd C2 amp, should have done better research before buying. Theres channel imbalance at lowest levels and these phones sound loud very low. Should have asked Kingwa to build lower gain version of the amp or one with different volume pot. It's perfectly usable, only that theres very little room to tune the volume. If I wanted to do some quiet listening there would be noticiable inbalance.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #2,586 of 4,303
I noticed the same thing about the comfort. They clamp really hard and dont have the softest earpads. But its not to the point of being painful or unlistenable. I agree, the comfort is not very great, just "ok". I would not recommend the DT48 for people who are sensitive to comfort.  

As far as the moisture, dont worry its normal. I have worn these headphones for hours straight and tons of moisture got built up. All I do is wipe it up, and keep listening. I dont think the moisture will damage them. These are some of the toughest headphones around. They use aluminum drivers, and aluminum does not rust. And besides, I think any closed headphone or IEM will develop moisture if its sealed, there is no escaping that fact. On most headphones, there is foam covering the driver, so you wont notice the sweat. If it bothers you, I suppose you could put an acoustically transparent fabric in front of the driver.

Do they drive well from your presonus hp4? 

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #2,587 of 4,303

Quote:
I noticed the same thing about the comfort. They clamp really hard and dont have the softest earpads. But its not to the point of being painful or unlistenable. I agree, the comfort is not very great, just "ok". I would not recommend the DT48 for people who are sensitive to comfort.  

As far as the moisture, dont worry its normal. I have worn these headphones for hours straight and tons of moisture got built up. All I do is wipe it up, and keep listening. I dont think the moisture will damage them. These are some of the toughest headphones around. They use aluminum drivers, and aluminum does not rust. And besides, I think any closed headphone or IEM will develop moisture if its sealed, there is no escaping that fact. On most headphones, there is foam covering the driver, so you wont notice the sweat. If it bothers you, I suppose you could put an acoustically transparent fabric in front of the driver.

Do they drive well from your presonus hp4? 

Ok, good to know about the moisture. It was just something very unexpected.
To my ears HP4 drives them well, but I'm not able to do comparison from the same source as I lack some rca cables. So a little bit hard to say how well excatly.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #2,588 of 4,303
They really aren't THAT hard to drive.

That said, I don't think pro audio gear gets enough respect around here.  Like the DT48 itself, pro gear often gets you into a category of sound quality for much cheaper than you can find in the audiophile world.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #2,590 of 4,303
Quote:
Hi there,

has anyone compared the recent DT48e versions with 25 and 200 ohm soundwise?

I have both.  What matters in the amp you plug them into.  Some amps have a low output impedance and some have a higher output impedance.  You don't want to use an amp with an output impedance higher than the headphone impedance.  So take your amp into account before you buy.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #2,591 of 4,303

Sorry, but I disagree, especially when it comes to the DT48E, be it 25 ohms or 200 ohms... Both have been designed to be driven by a 120 nominal output impedance, so you should ideally look for an amp with higher output impedance. It doesn't mean though it won't work with a lower output impedance, but just not as intended by Beyer designers.

Quote:
I have both.  What matters in the amp you plug them into.  Some amps have a low output impedance and some have a higher output impedance.  You don't want to use an amp with an output impedance higher than the headphone impedance.  So take your amp into account before you buy.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #2,592 of 4,303
I already own the version with 25 ohm. The volume is actually loud enough using my Sansa Clip or the builtin soundcard from my laptop. I guess these two sources should have a very low output impedance.
Actually, I was wondering what would happen if I added a dedicated headphone amp to the system. If I had a dedicated amp, I'd love to have a great range for the volume control in order to find the right volume.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #2,594 of 4,303
Do you have a receiver with a headphone jack you could try? My receiver headphone jack is a bit better sounding than my sansa clip+. The DT48 improve very much with every upgrade, and my cheap $100 amp greatly improved the sound vs. my receiver. That said, you should still look into a dedicated amp. 

Quote:
I already own the version with 25 ohm. The volume is actually loud enough using my Sansa Clip or the builtin soundcard from my laptop. I guess these two sources should have a very low output impedance.
Actually, I was wondering what would happen if I added a dedicated headphone amp to the system. If I had a dedicated amp, I'd love to have a great range for the volume control in order to find the right volume. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back