The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Dec 5, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #2,612 of 4,308
Agree. And those look pretty worn out, look at the pads... $200 look like a much better price. They have a coiled cord that will not stretch further than 1,5 meters, if that matters.

Quote:

Those are the newer DT48 model, because of the logo. I've seen them go for around $150-$200. $400 is definitely overpriced.

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #2,613 of 4,308
Me and Kukuk have a nick name for these, the GALLAGHER'S!!! because they can crush water melons. they did sound pretty good, I didn't think they were 400$ good, but pretty good.

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #2,614 of 4,308

Quote:
just looking for a quick reply as I am making holiday gift decisions...

didn't think that would make me a prick, but found it to be the best way to get a response in a forum.

Nonono, I meant I probably sound like a prick. Have you looked at ebay.de? They usually have a pair and if they ship internationally, they're generally way cheaper. Or you can go for that one on ebay right now.

I still really want to try these.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #2,615 of 4,308
Does anyone know a good source in No. America for the replacement pads for the dt48E? I emailed Beyer No.America, but haven't heard back yet. I have one pad that's new and one thats getting pretty flabby. The pads have a big affect on the sound with these as with most other phones. Anyone try any portable amps with the 25ohm model?

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #2,616 of 4,308
Dear Mr Lejaz,
I have not tried the DT48 with a portable amp, but with a portable player: it works wonderfully with the clip+. Must be a perfect impedance match. And yes, it plays loud enough.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #2,617 of 4,308
Mr lejaz? wow...thanks, lol. I'm going to have to give them another try with the Clip. I wasn't crazy about them with the 0404 amp, so I assumed they'd be even worse with the Clip. The biggest change I noticed was when I put a new pad on one of the ear pieces. Now the low end is starting to come alive. Unfortunately I only had one new pad. The pads that were on it when I purchased it second hand were pretty flabby and the new one is probably giving me a better/tighter fit which would increase the low end. they're still a long way from being bass monsters, but the mid bass is coming up to a pretty decent level..Now if Beyer No. America will answer my email perhaps I can order a pad for the other side. The difference with the new pad is really significant, so perhaps they will be real keepers once I find another pad. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #2,618 of 4,308
I just got a pair from Trew Audio if that helps. Best

Quote:
Does anyone know a good source in No. America for the replacement pads for the dt48E? I emailed Beyer No.America, but haven't heard back yet. I have one pad that's new and one thats getting pretty flabby. The pads have a big affect on the sound with these as with most other phones. Anyone try any portable amps with the 25ohm model?

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #2,621 of 4,308

Not yet but I hope soon... I am waiting for the Meier Stepdance that should have arrived a while back but that's another story. From what I gather, it should be a very nice match for the DT48E @ 25 ohms.

Quote:
Anyone try any portable amps with the 25ohm model?

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #2,622 of 4,308

I'm liking the the dt48 a lot more with the new pads....even out of my LD mkV and 0404 amp I'm getting better bass. Was thinking of trying one of the cheaper Meier portables myself...look forward to your impressions of the Stepdance. I just picked up an older Fostex T20 v2. Its been interesting comparing them with the dt48. After modding/damping, the Fostex bass and treble is definitely superior, but those dt48 mids are still the clear winner for clarity, timbre, and detail. I did a very brief comparison between the two here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/532841/just-scored-a-fostex-t20-v-2-wow#post_7191541 before I completely finished modding them. How are you enjoying your T50RP that I see in your signature?
Quote:
Not yet but I hope soon... I am waiting for the Meier Stepdance that should have arrived a while back but that's another story. From what I gather, it should be a very nice match for the DT48E @ 25 ohms.

Quote:
Anyone try any portable amps with the 25ohm model?

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #2,623 of 4,308
The short answer for me is nearly not as much as my DT48A
biggrin.gif

But... I enjoy occasionnally the T50RP very much indeed. I think I agree with most of the comments you made in your T20 v2 impression thread. I did some damping of the cups as well, and they improved a lot. Now soundstage and imaging is more coherent and focused (but still very diffuse compared to DT48). They retain this smooth and delicate sound, while organic and rich. Tonal balance is close to perfection for me, with greater low end extension than the DT48, even though they might not be as accurate. What they really miss to my ears is sheer Realism. They can sound very flat (2 dimensions missing depth) and can't convey the full envelop of sounds. They are also clearly inferior in details. Still great for casual listen and an absolute bargain compared to many other phones IMO.

BTW, I have been experiencing lately with crossfeed (using profesional redline monitor plug-in). Well, I will just say that I will probably never look back. Stuning difference to my ears, and especially with the DT48.

Quote:
How are you enjoying your T50RP that I see in your signature?

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #2,624 of 4,308

Quote:
The short answer for me is nearly not as much as my DT48A
biggrin.gif

But... I enjoy occasionnally the T50RP very much indeed. I think I agree with most of the comments you made in your T20 v2 impression thread. I did some damping of the cups as well, and they improved a lot. Now soundstage and imaging is more coherent and focused (but still very diffuse compared to DT48). They retain this smooth and delicate sound, while organic and rich. Tonal balance is close to perfection for me, with greater low end extension than the DT48, even though they might not be as accurate. What they really miss to my ears is sheer Realism. They can sound very flat (2 dimensions missing depth) and can't convey the full envelop of sounds. They are also clearly inferior in details. Still great for casual listen and an absolute bargain compared to many other phones IMO.

BTW, I have been experiencing lately with crossfeed (using profesional redline monitor plug-in). Well, I will just say that I will probably never look back. Stuning difference to my ears, and especially with the DT48.

Quote:
How are you enjoying your T50RP that I see in your signature?

I'm definitely going to have to try crossfeed with the dt48 one day. "What they(T50's) really miss to my ears is sheer Realism." Ha! you hit the nail right on the head there. That's the dt48 in a nutshell! Stunning realism!!!

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #2,625 of 4,308
DT48E 25 ohms just in...

Set up: CD690 + AU-217 I + DT48

Tracks: Audioslave's "Cochise" and "Show Me How To Live" followed by Massive Attacks "Angel", everything on CD.

Impressions: this is different. My DF comes close, my Pioneer Monitor 10R comes slightly closer but the DT48 leaves them in the dust. Despite the low end lacking in impact - even connected to my amplifier - I cannot deny I like this. Describing what this headphone does, is difficult, but man I am impressed. Would a more powerful pre-amplifier make a difference?

Note: the earpads really have to seal your ears to get the most out of listening with this headphone. 

P.S. More track testing later on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back