The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Jan 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #2,641 of 4,303

I definitely agree with you that the DT48 is crucially source dependant. Can you elaborate a little as to why you think some "hate" the DT48 presentation ? Thanks

Quote:
My DT48E is now king of the hill. I have read posts of people disliking the DT48's presentation, I can understand why now.

I will have to make a new set up for the DT48E since a cleaner and more error free source is better if I want to get more out of the DT48E. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #2,642 of 4,303
If the DT48 acts like a shredder for bad recordings it is not hard to detest its presentation... I like the 'metaphorical' shredder function. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #2,643 of 4,303
A friendly hello from team party pooper.
evil_smiley.gif

I've got a borrowed DT48'25 here right now, and I must say, one of the worst sounding cans I've ever heared, that is even worse than the SA5000. Awfully bright, unmusical, uninvolving, aenemic low end. And it is heavy like an anvil and clamps like a bench vise. Similar to the SA5K technically good, but that doesn't help, it's like flirting with an intelligent girl that smells bad and has a beard... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #2,645 of 4,303
Luscious 420 g, and I've already trained my neck with my vintage ortho...
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2,647 of 4,303

Yes, that sounds familiar to me. What source and amp are you using to power them ?

Quote:
A friendly hello from team party pooper.
evil_smiley.gif

I've got a borrowed DT48'25 here right now, and I must say, one of the worst sounding cans I've ever heared, that is even worse than the SA5000. Awfully bright, unmusical, uninvolving, aenemic low end. And it is heavy like an anvil and clamps like a bench vise. Similar to the SA5K technically good, but that doesn't help, it's like flirting with an intelligent girl that smells bad and has a beard... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #2,648 of 4,303

I can't imagine them being perceived as overly bright. They're so mid-centric ...and they seem rolled off in the highs compared to other phones I've heard. If you want to hear something bright try the k70X. Uncomfortable and rolled off in the lower bass, agreed.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #2,649 of 4,303
I'm afraid that after trying the dt48e 25 ohms (from 2008) I kinda have to agree with Nikchen. They are too bright and in the end too uninvolving for me. I tried them with different sources and amps, but they're not my cup of tea. I really wanted to like them, because I like vintage beyer and the dt48s have a great history behind them. They also sound like no other pair of headphones i've ever heard. But I find myself not listening to them and preferring the vintage dt990, ad2000, k500 or w1000. Time for them to find a more appreciative home I guess...

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #2,650 of 4,303
Quote:

I can't imagine them being perceived as overly bright. They're so mid-centric ...and they seem rolled off in the highs compared to other phones I've heard. If you want to hear something bright try the k70X. Uncomfortable and rolled off in the lower bass, agreed.

Yes I remember that even out of the Sansa Clip they sounded anything but bright to my ears :) I believe that was you who said the Clip drove them decently, right?
I'm still wondering, for those of you who compared the DT48 to other studio headphones, is there something similar (and closed back) but with better deep bass?

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2,652 of 4,303

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I remember that even out of the Sansa Clip they sounded anything but bright to my ears :) I believe that was you who said the Clip drove them decently, right?
I'm still wondering, for those of you who compared the DT48 to other studio headphones, is there something similar (and closed back) but with better deep bass?

If you can find one, that's exactly how I describe my DT480.  It has a similar driver, and so it has that clinical detail that the DT48 has, but it actually has bass as well.  It's the only thing I've heard that's really close in terms of detail, though I have come to prefer my DT250 (which sacrifices a bit of of that detail for low range as well)

I'm not just saying that because I'm trying to sell mine, either.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #2,653 of 4,303
I was hesitant to try them out of the Clip until some other forum member mentioned it, and I was surprised to find it drove them pretty well. Didn't try it with bass centric music though. Definitely don't find them bright, but I DO find them cold. Those who find them bright might like the old Fostex T20 v2 which is similar in that it's neutral/flat, but it's warmer and darker sounding, with better bass. You won't get the stunning detail with those though.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #2,654 of 4,303
I dont find them bright, but thats just me. 1. many modern recordings are bright to begin with, the DT48 shows this 2. Treble with headphones is very dependent on the shape of your ear and distance from driver to ear canal. It changes so much from person to person, and even a centimeter makes all the difference 3. Its been well documented that they roll off at both ends.  

All im saying is that treble is a hit or miss with ANY headphone, and alot of it comes down to the shape of your ear and the fit you achieve, not the driver. If you compare the same headphone on 2 different dummy heads, the bass and mids look similar but the treble peaks will be at different frequencies, different amplitudes.  

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #2,655 of 4,303
Speaking of the Clip, I wonder if anyone has tried them with a decent portable amp. I'm thinking of trying a portable to use with the Clip, but don't know if a cheap one like the fiio will bring much improvement....maybe one of the RSA portables would be a step up.Anyone tried a portable amp with the dt48?

Quote:
I dont find them bright, but thats just me. 1. many modern recordings are bright to begin with, the DT48 shows this 2. Treble with headphones is very dependent on the shape of your ear and distance from driver to ear canal. It changes so much from person to person, and even a centimeter makes all the difference 3. Its been well documented that they roll off at both ends.  

All im saying is that treble is a hit or miss with ANY headphone, and alot of it comes down to the shape of your ear and the fit you achieve, not the driver. If you compare the same headphone on 2 different dummy heads, the bass and mids look similar but the treble peaks will be at different frequencies, different amplitudes.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back