The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Oct 7, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #4,201 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any idea how much the 25 ohm drivers are, from Beyer?

add some custom wood housing and AT headband, they will make killer portable phones...

I'd kill for a R10 enclosure with the 48a drivers.. Or putting the 48a drivers in the K1000. Maybe I should put the 48e drivers in my 480? Hmmmmmmm.

One step closer. @MrTechAgent , i saw you mention your r10 is dead, and you were going to rebuild it, so maybe you can make this dream come true :p

dt48woodie0.jpg
dt48woodie1.jpg
dt48woodie2.jpg
dt48woodie3.jpg

It was mentioned someone wanted to try in k1k shell, This will not work in free floating setup. I tried it, it does not work.

With these fischer bubinga wood cups, you gain the missing bass that these CAN produce. I didn't believe it when ppl mentioned the potential of these drivers, but with modding dt480s, and open back dt48s with screw off port mod, it does awaken in.
Important note, the driver (completely open with no aluminum backplate) has an on ear pad with leather on it to channel the sound (not pictured), and reverbs flow inthrough baffle holes.The only port is near wire, the wood cups are sealed completely as the baffle part was reversed to accommodate driver and seal the wood cups. . As with pads being leather, it seals there as well.

GAINS:
Bass 20-80hz noticeable, more mid bass
Soundstage
Musicality (sounds like a closed sextett with more low extension)

LOSS:
Blackness (more body and fatter tones) Morbidly obese tones
Resolution (not as metallic and sterile)

This was for R&D, and for fun, but it worked out better than i thought
Better results than just the open back, open back with screw port mod, and the dt480 shells. Better in terms of musicality and accessible for more genre listening

I'm not recommending this particular mod, but for anyone else who was curious if a bigger cup would produce more bass/ soundstage, it does. @kman1211 Test tones done, bass is tight and there is more impact (relatively speaking to dt480).

Anyway, enjoy the DT48s!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #4,206 of 4,308
Somewhere in europe... ‘Reverb’
It looks like it’s in good shape, y-split, 1/4 inch stereo plug, 70’s maybe.

I’m kind of a timbre freak, so I’m going to put it up against my nb Lambda, and my hd580 v2

Very nice. I also got the same pair a few weeks back. My third pair now and easily the best sounding. I found the following pads to be much better than the original or the new replacement pads! (in terms of timbre)https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5WVPR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #4,209 of 4,308
The seller mentions only one owner, and also sound tested. He mentioned its clarity. So the S seamed worth jumping on. Looks like a audio collector or something got there hands on it. $130 bucks.

fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #4,213 of 4,308
Differences in sound quite apparent?
Unfortunately the 50s pair came with a really bizarre plug that I chopped off. I still don't have any plugs to re-terminate them. I do however have a one of a kind plastic DT-48 which came from the same era, if not even before. I think they share the same drivers but I can't be sure. Differences between that and the modern are quite a bit. To summarise the earlier one has a more natural sound compared to the more neutral and flat moderns. The modern also had better bass, slightly clearer (I think) and a more refined, smoother sound. The plastics are the one I posted first.

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #4,214 of 4,308
Unfortunately the 50s pair came with a really bizarre plug that I chopped off. I still don't have any plugs to re-terminate them. I do however have a one of a kind plastic DT-48 which came from the same era, if not even before. I think they share the same drivers but I can't be sure. Differences between that and the modern are quite a bit. To summarise the earlier one has a more natural sound compared to the more neutral and flat moderns. The modern also had better bass, slightly clearer (I think) and a more refined, smoother sound. The plastics are the one I posted first.

If you havent glued modern earpads to your modern dt48, try them on that vintage, i have all 3 types of searpads for my 3 pairs of dt48e vintage, 48 nagra and vintage A, and earpads make HUGE difference in sound!

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #4,215 of 4,308
If you havent glued modern earpads to your modern dt48, try them on that vintage, i have all 3 types of searpads for my 3 pairs of dt48e vintage, 48 nagra and vintage A, and earpads make HUGE difference in sound!

Bahahahaha. This insane headphone. I bought one after thinking these vintage fans were smoking something funny. Then i got one and put some various on ear pads, and the psychotic nature showed itself. I knew there is some hidden magic in it. I mean they made this for so long.
Or perhaps I am the psychotic (I do have to take some funny pills). And sometimes enjoy a Gentleman's jack with cola and a red beer or two.
I don't know if its my mental health condition or the funny pills, but its midrange is magical. And my quest to make the BASS more phoenix-esque rising from ashes from its rather sterile essence of that BOOM BOOM BOOM when stock.

I do not tell this problem to my shrink about my quest for more bass in dt48/480 and my DI Y wooden dt48 (am I the first in all of history?) If I am. I am proud of the stupidity of ruining 2 headphones to make a SHAMUUU dt48 :D "1 of 1 prototypes" one (which i am convinced i fattened up the bass and with lambskin pads and wood cups. I can live with it's slightly less than perfect treble extension, which when i need to feel more "air" i just jump onto another open set (dt880) to breathe and also expand the soundstage. But even more soundstage with less precise positioning within that soundstage (cough k701) is also bothersome. Laser precision on dt48 spatial cues.

In conclusion, i agree pad-play and if especially sacrificed lamb, potential for magic. Why the fans have such small army and many enemies? XD But then again I started with cool BASS headphones like Sony XB1000 and end up with weird ones like dt48/480 and Sigma as end game.

The only other headphone i miss is JVC SZ and Biocellulose Fostex and xb1000 which i needed to let go to get the sigma and dt48A masterpieces

I am not a headphone nerd, but have been to a convention to hear "TOTL". Meh. But hell ya I would get them if i could. i meant meh, was like 5% improvement from dt880 which i use 99% of the time. Thank You

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back