The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Nov 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,902 of 4,308
I'm working on a YouTube video, mainly talking about the fascinating history of the DT48.
Dale (Some of you might know him) is the only person I know who has had a long personal experience with DT48, so he's helping me slightly with the history.
If anyone here has something to talk about, let me know, I'll make sure I'll include those things in the video!

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,904 of 4,308
Looking forward to that vid Tech 
popcorn.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #3,907 of 4,308
More of an Engineering question but does anyone know how Beyer pulled of the system, since the Aluminium Diaphragms aren't glued and fused under UV like all BoPET and Cellulose membranes how is the system working, its going to be tricky and only Eugen Beyer could probably answer it but there might be someone here with an answer.

Also, does anyone here know about the efficiency correlation of the Earpads, Supra vs Cirum, the Multi-Layered pads apparently are cutting more air to the space hence loosing high frequency energy and tick pads adding more bass.
Since efficiency depends on the magnetic flux density, I'm wondering how Dale noticed SPL changes because of a pad swap, also any changes were to be present in terms of diaphragm flexing, aluminium's tensile strength could easily intercept those changes but again nothing sheds more light on efficiency changes.

Ignore my first question MDR30 answered that previously.

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #3,908 of 4,308
The diaphragms were air blown from a flat piece onto a backing mould.

The spl changes simply because of the distance, the newer pads are too far to give the ideal sound, only the early vinyls pads and the rubbers could bring the sound to the intended ideal distance. Then only can you hear the intricate sub bass wave patterns.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #3,909 of 4,308
The diaphragms were air blown from a flat piece onto a backing mould.

The spl changes simply because of the distance, the newer pads are too far to give the ideal sound, only the early vinyls pads and the rubbers could bring the sound to the intended ideal distance. Then only can you hear the intricate sub bass wave patterns.

Interesting, from what I know Beyer had a Circum P-leather pad in the early 70s which is similar to what we see today but was without the baffle and the P-Leather was the garbage bag style.
Beyerdynamic apparently designed a Baffle system for the DT48 after '37 but they lost all the documents after the war when they shifted to Western Germany.

I think Beyerdynamic designed their first proper Baffle system in the late 70s after the launch of the DT100 in '68, so rather than tinkering with the DT48 design they implemented the foam baffle in the Earpads of the DT48 in the 70s.

Then the DT480 comes with the DT100 housing, DT48 drivers and similar baffle implementation. Currently the only in-production baffle-less Beyerdynamic is the DT100.

The DT48 wasn't completely Engineered, a proper baffle would have really eliminated the roll-off, other than that, the peculiarities of the system make the DT48 virtually break-up free, they basically are free of excursion limits given that you have perfect damping.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3,911 of 4,308
Very nice video, Mr Tech. I consider it a public service. Kudos to you!

I got a kick out of your tossing the script: The secret, my friends, is aluminium.

KBI has an interesting take on the intentions behind the sound: "The DT-48 sounds unabashedly like a headphone. No tricks to try to take the sound 'out of head' and no reference to far field equalizations to mimic speakers."

FYI http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Kudelski

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #3,913 of 4,308
Very nice video, Mr Tech. I consider it a public service. Kudos to you!

I got a kick out of your tossing the script: The secret, my friends, is aluminium.

KBI has an interesting take on the intentions behind the sound: "The DT-48 sounds unabashedly like a headphone. No tricks to try to take the sound 'out of head' and no reference to far field equalizations to mimic speakers."

FYI http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Kudelski

Thank you, Sir!

I wish KBI was active..
I did make a blunder by calling Stefan Swedish :p.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #3,914 of 4,308
A while ago i did a modification to my DT 48 E.I carefully applied thin layer of bluetack on the grill to reduce/remove reflections.I also poked holes in the blutack increase its reflection absorbtion.In my opinion it works extremely well and it´s clear improvement.Low level details are more audible,imaging is more accurate (+ improved perception of depth) and tighter,controlled bass.At first sound was boring,but after a while i realized that the sound was just clearer and faster that it didn´t wow me at first.Ear fatique was almost non-existent with stock DT 48 but with this mod it´s completely gone.Sound is simply much more natural.Try this mod,you will like the results.

Last thursday i had an chance to test these with ODAC/O2 combo.It´s resolution was excellent,i really could hear short hi-hats and finger snaps texture on Billie Jean.It was wonderfull.Though Galaxy SII doesn´t sound bad either.

E earpads are keeping ears too far away from driver.I have been thinking about making somekind of waveguides on the grill around holes and filling space around it with bluetack so the bluetack part is closer to ear.I try draw an image of this mod idea.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #3,915 of 4,308
Got my hands on a vintage (50s or 60s?) DT48 S recently. Has the old angular "BEYER" logo instead of Beyerdynamic.

Comparing these to a modern headphone is impossible, but they're definitely not "bad" by any metric, comfort being the obvious exception.

This is definitely not a headphone I could see anyone using as an everyday listening headphone; there are a lot of things it does very very wrong. It's more of a special cases thing for me so far, something you'd use for a few particular albums and only said albums. However, the things it does do right, limited as they may be, it manages to do very well. 

Build quality is stupid good, btw. You could crack someone's skull open with these cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back