The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Oct 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,871 of 4,303
If you have a reasonably-priced source of Schiit gear in Mumbai, maybe you should consider getting a Magni for the DT48s. It is said to be similar to the O2 in performance terms (or get a Vali for a little tube flavour combined with a powerful solid-state output stage).

Ah man, HiFi stuff in India is almost impossible to find.
Although I am saving up for a Violectric HPA-V200 as a reference SS.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,872 of 4,303
The O2 is an open-source design. Maybe there is a local manufacturer...

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3,874 of 4,303
Hint Hint they are the original Tesla so let's renumber them T-0.48, so far I've had the best experience from Jan Meier Audio amps, the O2 used to be the porta amp I used it with but now it's the quickstep active balanced and arietta for desktop.

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #3,875 of 4,303
Although I am saving up for a Violectric HPA-V200 as a reference SS.

The Violectric V200 makes the DT48 SING. Both the 200 ohm and 25 ohm DT48E sound amazing on it. Buttery smooth, yet with the DT48 speed and detail.

I do not hear any difference in sound between the two different ohm-versions by the way. I've heard people say that the 25 ohm is slightly more in your face and with more bass slam, but IME they are identical, other than the obvious volume difference. If people hear a difference, it's probably due to slight variation in the way the earpads fit on their head. I find I really need to take some time fiddling with them to position them just right before I get the best sound.

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #3,876 of 4,303

The Violectric V200 makes the DT48 SING. Both the 200 ohm and 25 ohm DT48E sound amazing on it. Buttery smooth, yet with the DT48 speed and detail.

I do not hear any difference in sound between the two different ohm-versions by the way. I've heard people say that the 25 ohm is slightly more in your face and with more bass slam, but IME they are identical, other than the obvious volume difference. If people hear a difference, it's probably due to slight variation in the way the earpads fit on their head. I find I really need to take some time fiddling with them to position them just right before I get the best sound.

Sorry about the OT, but could you also post some quick impressions about the V200 with RS1i and Asgard with DT48?
I'm debating getting either a V220 or a Phonitor and I have a bit of Grado around the house and office... and the Asgard 2 for a bedside rig 
redface.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #3,877 of 4,303

Fantastic.
Good to know !

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #3,878 of 4,303
  Sorry about the OT, but could you also post some quick impressions about the V200 with RS1i and Asgard with DT48?
I'm debating getting either a V220 or a Phonitor and I have a bit of Grado around the house and office... and the Asgard 2 for a bedside rig 
redface.gif

I have sold my Asgard, so I have not been able to try it extensively with the DT48. I did try the combo briefly, but I wasn't that impressed. I mean, it sounded good, but after hearing them on the V200, the Asgard sounded rather thin, not as tight and with more graininess. It did have a slightly larger soundstage than on the V200, though.

The RS1i also sounds fabulous with the V200. They sound airy, but without sounding thin. It's hard to describe, but the sound feels very "grounded", which gives it nice realism. Just like with DT48, the Grados sound very smooth and liquid on the V200.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3,879 of 4,303
Thanks a lot for that. As I can't really audition either Phonitor 2 or V200... I think I already know what I'll be ordering tomorrow 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #3,881 of 4,303
Just placed an order for DT 48E 25 ohm on Ebay.This pair is from some Polish audiogear shop called Music Outlet.Total price is about 187 euros.Sounds reasonable.Well see what happens.I had to order these so i can listen something when HE-500´s have to be sent to warranty repair.I´s very exited to hear what 70 years old transducer technology can do.

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3,882 of 4,303
When it was in production, it would sell for 400€ and well worth the price as I don't think there's another headphone around that sounds like it. Of course, if you're bothered to read this insane thread from the start you'll notice how disappointed some people were when they listened to it. Others fell in love, probably forever.

Uncle Erik recommended these cans, and to my ears he was never "wrong". I miss his posts a lot!

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #3,885 of 4,303
They shouldn't be an acquired taste although that would put some sort of class representation but Scotch acquires several accents from its keg that simply cannot be reproduced in the next batch. So on giving it a Spring water grade somewhat sparkling homogeneous and downright honest.
Salude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back