The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Feb 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2,911 of 4,308
When it comes to comparing bass response, I think it's very important to take amplification into account. Bass reproduction can vary strongly with the DT48 and different amps (and also between different DT48 vintages). In my experience, despite the fact that some people seem to be happy in listening to their DT48s with DAPs, the DT48 is actually not that easy to amp well.

I've compared my 25 ohm DT-48E to the 300 ohm Sennheiser 800 two different ways: One is directly off of the iPod Touch (latest), and two is from the Cute Beyond class A headphone amp, low gain setting, using the iPod Touch and the Apple composite video cable. There is only a tiny difference in the sound of the iPod direct or through the amp, and both headphones compare the same either way. I'd guess if people are hearing a big difference, it's in the cables or something where capacitance or impedance is a big factor.

Edit: With the Apple cable, that's using "line out" from the dock connector.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2,912 of 4,308

Quote:
Do you have any pics. Maybe some DT48 owners can help you out. Sounds like they were terminated mono.. Did you buy them used?

Yes, I did buy them used, they are definitely vintage. i don't know when they're from so I've included a pic of the right cup. The lettering on the left cup has either worn off or was never there to begin with.

You can clearly see that in the Y-split the two wires (which I assume are ground) go to the black wire, and at the plug end, there's no black cable at all. It's actually quite curious. The plug is also mono-terminated. If I had a spare plug I would try reterminating it and seeing if it works, but I don't want to cut this stock cable if I don't have to. It looks like it's a stock cable, and I found another picture of the DT48 with the same kind of silver connector - although stereo (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/385865/fs-ft-beyer-dt-48-e).

For what it's worth, though, they sound SUPER detailed and very very fast. I haven't been able to do a lot of critical listening due to the cable/sound issue but from what I've heard it's quite promising. I'd like to get some new pads too but there seem to be a lot of different types of pads. Maybe I'll just spend some time in this thread.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,913 of 4,308
I just got my DT48e's today and something is wrong - the right side is significantly louder than the left. I'm not really sure what the problem is, but I took a brief look at the cable and it looks like the cans are terminated incorrectly. There's three wires going into the Y-split, yellow black and red (with two wires joining to the black) and yet at the plug, the yellow is wired to the ground and red is wired to the tip (its a mono plug). Is that right? That doesn't seem right.

I don't see anything except black cable - the cord up to the 'Y' split and from there the two halves of the cord, both black, to the earcups (and one of those through the headband). The plug is a gold-plated 1/8 inch miniplug, threaded to screw into the 1/4 inch gold-plated adapter.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2,914 of 4,308
Yes, I did buy them used, they are definitely vintage. i don't know when they're from so I've included a pic of the right cup. The lettering on the left cup has either worn off or was never there to begin with.

I see a problem, not related to the cable or mono issue. See that phillips screw on the outside of the earcup? That looks like a modification, since the cups are supposed to be factory sealed with the special plug or screw that has the two little holes.

Edit: By all rights, this should be a modern set, since the 1970's versions I had did not use the term Beyer Dynamic. They just said Beyer DT-48.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,915 of 4,308

Quote:
Quote:

I see a problem, not related to the cable or mono issue. See that phillips screw on the outside of the earcup? That looks like a modification, since the cups are supposed to be factory sealed with the special plug or screw that has the two little holes.

You're right - I didn't even notice that. I sent my seller a PM asking if they've been modified but I guess they have. Is there any reason the plug would be terminated as it is? I don't know why someone would do that intentionally.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #2,916 of 4,308
Switch the white and metal cable from the one earcup on the small solderboard and the phase problem should be solved. Black is ground and yellow and red respective channel. Can't see if you have a stereo plug, but it may be a good idea to invest in a new one, then you can make sure that left and right is correct as well.

TRS: tip (left), ring (right), sleeve (ground).

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2,917 of 4,308
I have just been recently thinking myself about the role of amplification in bass response with the DT48, and I heartedly agree amplification does influence in a meaningfull way. I have currenlty the Meier Stepdance and Graham Ultra-Linear at home and have been able to A/B them. While the Stepdance offers a lean, accurate and tight bass (actually, almost sharp), the Graham UL does offer a deeper, relaxed, textured, powerfull bass (for a DT48 that is
tongue.gif
 ). Now, I just don't know yet how to explain it, as I tend to think both amps are powerfull enough and techically competent to move the DT48 (the Stepdance is a little beast for a portable amp).

Quote:
When it comes to comparing bass response, I think it's very important to take amplification into account. Bass reproduction can vary strongly with the DT48 and different amps (and also between different DT48 vintages). In my experience, despite the fact that some people seem to be happy in listening to their DT48s with DAPs, the DT48 is actually not that easy to amp well.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #2,918 of 4,308

Quote:
I have just been recently thinking myself about the role of amplification in bass response with the DT48, and I heartedly agree amplification does influence in a meaningfull way. I have currenlty the Meier Stepdance and Graham Ultra-Linear at home and have been able to A/B them. While the Stepdance offers a lean, accurate and tight bass (actually, almost sharp), the Graham UL does offer a deeper, relaxed, textured, powerfull bass (for a DT48 that is
tongue.gif
 ). Now, I just don't know yet how to explain it, as I tend to think both amps are powerfull enough and techically competent to move the DT48 (the Stepdance is a little beast for a portable amp).

Quote:

That's pretty wild, getting much difference in amp sound with the same simple headphone.  Impedance a factor?  What impedance are the 48's?  Are there switches on the amps, for low/high gain, or anything else interesting?  Where in the volume adjustments are you for normal listening with each amp?  Near zero, middle, high?  Even a tube -vs- transistor amp shouldn't make more than a subtle difference.  Do you hear significant differences in the amps with another headphone?

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #2,919 of 4,308
Are you calling the DT48 a "simple" headphone on this very thread
eek.gif
 ... Now if you believe that this was a wild statement, wait untill we talk modulation and power cables
biggrin.gif

Quote:

That's pretty wild, getting much difference in amp sound with the same simple headphone. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2,920 of 4,308
Are you calling the DT48 a "simple" headphone on this very thread
eek.gif
 ... Now if you believe that this was a wild statement, wait untill we talk modulation and power cables
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I keep looking at my Sennheiser 800, all $1400 of it, and I'm thinking "the DT-48 must be simple to be so much cheaper." Or could the 800 be a tad overpriced? I know that's probably heresy in some circles. Sennheiser: hint, hint.

I am curious about these amps, though, since I haven't experienced much difference in amps, unless I assumed there was a mismatch in something and then promptly forgot.

EDIT: I do remember some years back getting way different bass response in speakers with cables that had really high capacitance. That was the FMI-80's, which the UPS store thoroughly trashed. So I don't remember the cable brand, since I dumped them with the speakers.

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #2,921 of 4,308
Just scored a vintage Pioneer Monitor 10 off ebay for a great price. Will be interesting to compare 3 'flat' studio monitor h/p's, the Monitor 10, the 240DF, and the dt48.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #2,922 of 4,308
Just scored a vintage Pioneer Monitor 10 off ebay for a great price. Will be interesting to compare 3 'flat' studio monitor h/p's, the Monitor 10, the 240DF, and the dt48.

Post a picture when you get them. I've seen two different-looking sets on different sites - both of them looked like they were made to withstand heavy abuse.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #2,923 of 4,308

Quote:
Quote:

Post a picture when you get them. I've seen two different-looking sets on different sites - both of them looked like they were made to withstand heavy abuse.

There's photos in this thread...on the first page...maybe other pages too. Mine look the same, if I remember correctly from the ebay photos. But there were several versions, I think. Interesting reading on that thread. They're supposed to be very flat and detailed with good sound stage. Can't wait to hear them.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/335475/just-arrived-pioneer-monitor-10-with-pictures/120

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2,924 of 4,308
There's photos in this thread...on the first page...maybe other pages too. Mine look the same, if I remember correctly from the ebay photos. But there were several versions, I think. Interesting reading on that thread. They're supposed to be very flat and detailed with good sound stage. Can't wait to hear them.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/335475/just-arrived-pioneer-monitor-10-with-pictures/120

Went through the 9 pages. Interesting. The printed response curve was +/- 2 db from 20 to 15 khz, and if it's actually near that, they should sound a little brighter than the DT-48, which lacks a bit in the highs. Judging by the comments, they benefit a lot from break-in. One person commented about too much distortion, which seems like some kind of driver fatigue. Hopefully yours will be in perfect shape.

Edit: There are lots of people in the world who routinely restore equipment for a reasonable price, like for instance replacing cushions when the original mfr. versions aren't available. It would be nice to know if there are any such options. I haven't had any headphones reconditioned, but other obsolete electronic items I have.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #2,925 of 4,308

Went through the 9 pages. Interesting. The printed response curve was +/- 2 db from 20 to 15 khz, and if it's actually near that, they should sound a little brighter than the DT-48, which lacks a bit in the highs. Judging by the comments, they benefit a lot from break-in. One person commented about too much distortion, which seems like some kind of driver fatigue. Hopefully yours will be in perfect shape.

Edit: There are lots of people in the world who routinely restore equipment for a reasonable price, like for instance replacing cushions when the original mfr. versions aren't available. It would be nice to know if there are any such options. I haven't had any headphones reconditioned, but other obsolete electronic items I have.

M10 are brighter than the original DT48 (well, my than my 1983 version ). The bass and treble are a lot more prominent and the mids are consequently not as sweet. They're really nice headphones (very detailed, not fatiguing sound without any obvious deficiencies to me especially for the price), but you need to re-leather the headband to make them comfortable and stick on some new pads. (also maybe somehow loosen the clamping force on them but I doubt that's very feasible)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back