The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Mar 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #1,696 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's actually very easy to make them an open design. The first possibility is to drill holes in the cap. The question is how many to drill and how much air to allow. For this experiment, you would need to order a few caps from Beyer and test it out. I'm working on it.

You could start by removing the back cover just to see what happens, I believe the driver already has a solid back with holes in the rear. This should show you in a broad way what will happen and whether ordering rear caps makes sense.

Kevin

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #1,697 of 4,308
Just bought a pair of 48e 25ohm off ebay for 123$. they still look in good condition but the seller claimed that he'd had them for more than 10 years. is it a good price at the moment?
I will compare them with my beloved k702. Really excited to see which one has more details!

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #1,698 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by tranhieu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought a pair of 48e 25ohm off ebay for 123$. they still look in good condition but the seller claimed that he'd had them for more than 10 years. is it a good price at the moment?
I will compare them with my beloved k702. Really excited to see which one has more details!

Yes, that's a good price. Have fun listening to your new phones!

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #1,699 of 4,308
Quote:

The main thing you will notice is no frequency is over emphasised, and are more neutral, flat, and true to the recording. This is based off the 701.. IMO, the detail on the 701 is good, but not a detail monster compared to the SA5000/DT48. Maybe the 702 is more detailed then the 701. I don't know. I do know that extended highs and treble can give a perception of more detail. I will put the SA5000 in the same category in terms of treble. The DT48 has little if any treble extension and rolled off highs, but still manages to reveil details no other phone I owned could do.. This includes resolution.. And instrument separation is remarkable considering the fact they are closed and lack a big sound stage. Hope you like them. And hope they are the vintage kind. Never heard a 10 yr old model before.

And smearing is a after thought with these things. Go through your entire collection, especially genres with acoustics and heavy vocals.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #1,700 of 4,308
Thanks for the info. Actually my k702 were recabled so I guess it would be an interesting match between the 2. And to me I dont find their treble extended at all, so it's not the high that's responsible for them being detailed I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do know that extended highs and treble can give a perception of more detail. I will put the SA5000 in the same category in terms of treble. The DT48 has little if any treble extension and rolled off highs, but still manages to reveil details no other phone I owned could do..

From what I understand rolled-off treble and extended highs are not the same thing? Are they opposite to each other? I find that part of your post quite confusing. Maybe I'm missing something here, correct me if I'm wrong
redface.gif

I will report back in the upcoming days when I have time for them. I have enough assignments and exams to take care of already.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,701 of 4,308
I have 500+ hours on my SA5K's/ they are just superb. the only time I really have an issue with the bright hi's is if the recording is too bright to begin with.

My 48/200's are settling in so nicely. Out of all my cans, I can say these two and the HD595 / 120's amaze me the most. The SA5K's & 595's are so fricking comfortable!!!

I will say, you must "listen" with these cans, the music will then come to you.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW BTW, I ran in the SA5K for 24 hrs and am listening. So far very good. I will preliminarily call them the "poor man's HD-800".

Kevin

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #1,702 of 4,308
Quote:

Thanks for the info. Actually my k702 were recabled so I guess it would be an interesting match between the 2. And to me I dont find their treble extended at all, so it's not the high that's responsible for them being detailed I think.

From what I understand rolled-off treble and extended highs are not the same thing? Are they opposite to each other? I find that part of your post quite confusing. Maybe I'm missing something here, correct me if I'm wrong
redface.gif

I will report back in the upcoming days when I have time for them. I have enough assignments and exams to take care of already.

All regular headphones that I'm aware of have treble extension to a certain degree. And 99% of the detailed headphones I owned had a treble emphasis, usually the highs. .

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #1,703 of 4,308
If the SA5000 are baby HD800, I need to get one. I'm sure the DT48 would get little head time. My main gripe is the lack of treble. I'm a treble freak. Only if the HD800 were priced like the T1. Still leaning towards the OPPO 83SE with 32bit sabre dacs, two or more in each channel I think, plus other cutting edge tech. I was a videophile long before I was a audiophile. First HDTV in 04.

Kevin, the SA5000 cable will go out on you. It's guaranteed. Give them a yr, maybe two, one channel will lose sound with break up. Just do a search. APS told me they have the worst cable design/implimented out of all the hi end headphones he recabled. Just do a search. I really should have kept my SA5000 to get my treble fix.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #1,708 of 4,308
I suggest you use a sonic exciter with the dt 48 as it's salt and pepper, it will give you better results than just changeing amps , because it needs it's legs and arms and the dt 48 is the body, instead of other headphones the dt 48 needs the sonic exciter the most.

The coil is a self tuneing oscillator when the music picks up you hear the bass...well it works like this the dt 48 was designed to be the ultimate headphone, so instead of cups etc, it will control that in the coil.

To get subwoofer in this headphone well it deals with energy from the vaccum zero point energy extraction because the sound goes through the sub atomic bit and thus is able to beat electrostatics (matched impedance or frictionless in physics), you do it in the opposite direction, "You must learn to think one octave higher. Only then will you learn how implosion energy works.''

http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:O...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

The amp bit should be 1400-1600 ohms..you area of knowledge lacks here but if you want to bring out the best well use a sonic exciter along with the individual timbres etc and instead of cups it uses the 'body' for this and this body is the magic, so if you got a hybrid dt 48 s nagra well i'd use it with a sonic exciter.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #1,710 of 4,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In layman terms.

Or at least in terms that apply to the physics of this universe...
biggrin.gif

From what I read about the Behringer Sonic Exciter, it's basically a more sophisticated (perhaps) version of the old-fashioned 'loudness' switch. I don't think I would really want that in my audio chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back