The Best Ultimate Ears Review EVER
Dec 4, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #32 of 44
You should really rip your music into lossless or WAV, if you love it that much. I can tell the difference between 320 Mp3 and WAV on the earbuds that came with my Sansa Fuze- cheapie earbuds that hardly sound like music at all sometimes. The difference is not immediately obvious, but it is there. There are DAPs available that have hundreds of GB available and sound amazing. The WhipMod or Imod comes to mind, although they need a portable amp. Other DAPs can sound better than those but compromise in other areas like usability or storage capacity. The point is, that is around 6,000 songs or about 400 albums that you can bring long with incredible sound quality, to bring the UE11s or your choice of good headphones very close to their potential. I am just recommending this for maximum fun, because Mp3s don't sound very good most of the time to me unless I have nothing else. WAV or lossless just brings out the magic and sparkle in the music for me. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #33 of 44
Good read, but from the title i was expecting to get a review of their entire line up.

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #34 of 44
I respect JoeSuburb's attitude and review on the matter - I'm different, in that, I do think designations of 'best' and 'worst' can be made, but I would never want to take away from Joe's review - he clearly is meticulous about his choice

Again, I would say the UE11 does everything the UERM tries to do, but can't - I find the 11s have more depth, much more pop, and overall, allow the lows and highs to ascend higher levels - however, the UERM is still very good, but if you're gonna pay $1000 for the UERM, I would just add the couple hundred more to buy the 11s

GeorgeGoodman - I agree - I should go lossless - I really love purchasing music off the iTunes store - it's convenient, syncs up easy and despite the loss in good sound, its a compromise I'm willing to make, based on the efficiency of it all - I think the jump from MP3 to MP4 was a HUGE breakthrough, as I find MP4s to be pretty acceptable

That said - is there an option on iTunes to purchase lossless?

Thank you all!

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #35 of 44
I don't think there is an option for lossless on Itunes. There are other websites that have downloads of lossless music that can go right in Itunes, however. Hdtracks, musicishere, beatport, and others, just look around.

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #36 of 44

Quote:
I respect JoeSuburb's attitude and review on the matter - I'm different, in that, I do think designations of 'best' and 'worst' can be made, but I would never want to take away from Joe's review - he clearly is meticulous about his choice

Again, I would say the UE11 does everything the UERM tries to do, but can't - I find the 11s have more depth, much more pop, and overall, allow the lows and highs to ascend higher levels - however, the UERM is still very good, but if you're gonna pay $1000 for the UERM, I would just add the couple hundred more to buy the 11s

GeorgeGoodman - I agree - I should go lossless - I really love purchasing music off the iTunes store - it's convenient, syncs up easy and despite the loss in good sound, its a compromise I'm willing to make, based on the efficiency of it all - I think the jump from MP3 to MP4 was a HUGE breakthrough, as I find MP4s to be pretty acceptable

That said - is there an option on iTunes to purchase lossless?

Thank you all!

There's no material difference between LAME MP3 and MP4 though I do slightly prefer the AAC codec.

Some are of the opinion that the UE11 does a bit too much and is less neutral. I haven't listened so have no personal view on this. Likewise some prefer the the JH13(me) to the JH16. Others like it enhanced a bit but it's not something I would decide on, in absolutes no less, with less than my best source. That the UE11 rocks your world makes us all happy for you, no joking. I bet it's great and it may be better than anything else in the world for you but not for all. I'm actually not entirely opposed to better/worse scenarios but it would take some mighty fine source kit, files and more than one set of ears to determine same.
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Yo goodvibes - your wife not put enough syrup on the 'pancakes' this morning?

Lighten up, bro...

The syrup on my pancakes is fantastic. It's the 100% real thing and not that artificially flavored, sweetened and colored variety you're pouring.
bigsmile_face.gif
 Never said you couldn't have an opinion and it's welcome but you're defending the wrong stuff.

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #38 of 44
George - THANK YOU!

MH - thank you, as well! According to Apple (just did some research) all of iTunes is now default iTunes Plus as of April of 2009 - so technically, the music off iTunes, while not lossless, is better than before - hopefully I have that straight, unless there's a lossless option I'm missing?

GOODVIBES - you got a good sense of humor, my brother!

I can definitely see how some would argue that the UE 11 does "too much" and could actually 'distort' what the real intention of the music is

To that, I would say -

1. I really do think the UE 11 provides greater depth and fullness than the UERM, which always makes for better listening

2. The UE 11 is VERY responsive to presets - set your presets right and you'll be in a good mood

Lastly - as I've always said - the UE 18 is superior and does provide the MOST crystal clear sound I've ever heard - if lack of distortion is someone's top priority, then skip the UERM and go with the UE 18

Always great to discuss here!

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #39 of 44
Got to agree with this, but not in the way described in the review. Never have I experienced such horrible, useless, god awful, crap service that I got from UE. Worst company I have ever dealt with.
Send them an email & 2 weeks later send the same email & 2 weeks later send the same email & you may get a one line rude uncaring reply! Send in your customs after contacting them about enlarging the right ear piece as its too small & they'll make the left one smaller for you to match it at no cost! Wow! Send them in for repair when 2 of the drivers fail in one side & you'll have them back within 8 weeks with new problems! UE I love loathe you!
Quote:Originally Posted by HasanDaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The customer service at Ultimate Ears is out of this world

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #40 of 44
Well, my experience with UE falls somewhere in between these two.  I have found them to be a bit slow to respond to my e-mail queries -- particularly the sales dept.  That's partly why I ended up going the JH route when I was ready to expand my collection (I already have UE11s).  However, I found the repair dept to be exemplary.  They responded quickly and reliably to all questions and performed the repairs on my UE11s perfectly and promptly -- they ground them down just the way I asked and they are now much more comfortable, in addition they ran a battery of tests and found a couple of bad drivers which they also replaced for me.   I'm surprised that you had such a bad experience with this same group!

Quote:
Send in your customs after contacting them about enlarging the right ear piece as its too small & they'll make the left one smaller for you to match it at no cost! Wow! Send them in for repair when 2 of the drivers fail in one side & you'll have them back within 8 weeks with new problems! UE I love loathe you!

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #42 of 44
NU - I am so sorry to hear about your experience - again, UE was the BEST customer service experience I ever had - I have a contact I can recommend you to email, in terms of filing a complaint, if you'd like? Just drop me a private message if so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back