The Best Ultimate Ears Review EVER
Nov 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #18 of 44
That was fun review, thanks for that hasandaddy.  Too bad I didn't realize a year ago that UE makes the earpieces a bit larger than the mold, I would have had them grind my UE11's down a while ago.  I have had a pair of UE11's for almost 2 years now and have been very happy with them -- they have been a wonderful first pair of custom IEMs -- far better than anything I had ever put on my ears before.  I just sent mine into UE to be cleaned, they replaced a couple of drivers and are grinding them down a bit.  I can't wait to get them back (today hopefully) and try my refreshed UE11s.  I am sure you will get many fine hours of enjoyment from them just as I have!

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #19 of 44
First, thanks for the review. I ordered an UE 10 on Black Friday and it will be coming so I will see how accurate your view is myself later on
Yet I feel like the description can be more detailed. Well...I review headsets like foods, wonder how that works out

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 44
The UE10 Pro is no longer available and has been replaced by the Reference Monitors. The TF10 is not the same as the UE10 Pro. The TF10 is a universal earphone while the latter is a custom.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #21 of 44
I'm in heaven, I finally got my UE11s back today after two weeks of roughing it with cheap IEMs and I'm in heaven!  The replacement of two drivers on the right ear has vastly improved the clarity of the sound and the grinding down has made them much more comfortable and easy to insert and remove.  I immediately hooked them up to my newly acquired Pico Slim combined with the Sony Walkman X and it nearly brought tears to my eyes as I listened to my (recently re-ripped) lossless versions of Dark Side of the Moon -- Absolute heaven!

I'm not really a proper audiophile (more like portaphile), but it seems to me that the Pico Slim fills out that slightly recessed mid area of the UE11 while taming the extended bass making for a fuller sound.

Without the Pico Slim I found that the sound was a little duller sounding, perhaps what is called dark. 

Either way the bass is tremendous as Pink Floyd proved to me today.  The Pico Slim/Walkman X combo does tighten up that bass a little bit which makes it feel more powerful and clean.

My recommendation, if you have custom IEMs that you put a lot of hours on I suggest that you send them in for a tune up periodically.  UE did a wonderful job of putting my UE11s through their paces and determining that two drivers were in need of help.  They charged me $105 for the whole thing -- which seems pretty moderate when you consider that they replaced 2 of the 8 drivers and reshaped practically the entire earpiece on both sides.

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #22 of 44
Alya - thanks for your added notes!

Ultimate Ears have the best sales and support team in the world - Apple Computers is also up there, but UE treats their customers like royalty - glad to be part of such a great club with you, brother (the UE 11 club)!

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #23 of 44
Raw - I'm still pretty positive I tried the UE 10 pro - if not, then it was the next step below the UE 11

Again - if you're mostly on MP3s and MP4s, the UE 11s were built specifically for that

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #25 of 44
HD, thanks for posting your take on the UE experience.  there's a surprising omission that's barely been commented on, and there only indirectly.  since you spent the time over at their headquarters auditioning their products prior to making your choice, why didn't you audition their latest creation, the in ear reference monitors, that are so beloved by joesuburb (who wrote up a very nice take on his UE experience.

btw, have you read all the UE reviews to unequivocally state that yours is the best?
wink.gif
  there are some good ones out there. you might want to check out Jude's report on the ref monitors, for instance.

oh, and welcome to head-fi. sorry about yer wallet.....

[edit: typo corrected & emoticon added]

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #26 of 44
Dave and everyone - my apologies!!!

In reference to my earlier review, I did not listen to the UE 10s, rather they were the in-ear reference monitors that JoeSuburb raves about (the ones done in collaboration with Capitol Records)

So overall, the UE 11s heavily outperformed the in ear references in all ways

Sorry guys - I know product terms is an important note

Dave - I think you're taking my thread title a little too seriously (as a few others are here too)

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #28 of 44
Dec 4, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #29 of 44
Hey Dave,

I do love my reference monitors.  I hope I have properly conveyed that I could completely see people not liking them.  I recently picked up the Triple.Fi 10 deal and had a chance to listen to them before I gave them to my niece.  The Triple.fi 10 had a lot more bass and the bass wasn't sloppy at all.  But, at the same time, the bass wasn't recorded in the recording.  Recordings that actually contain extended bass had a lot of bass on the Reference Monitors as well.  So, while I absolutely picked the correct set of IEMs for me, they might not be for everyone.  

I always say the same thing, but I think it is sound advice.  Always try to demo audio equipment before you buy it.  If YOU prefer the $400 IEM over the $1000 IEM, than that is the best IEM for you.  High end audio is very very very subjective.  Don't be fooled by reviews, the price tag, or what other people prefer.  

To me, the best reviews are the ones that explain why the reviewer preferred something over another.  That way, you can make a choice based on what you prefer.  I also think you should avoid any review that states something is the best, or another product is bad.  Lots of people feel the need to justify their purchase by attacking another product they haven't even touched.

Westone, JH or UE, I don't think you could make a bad choice of the three.  I actually wish I went custom a long time ago.  I think a $400 custom is the smart buy.  But, it took me so long to go custom that I went all out, probably without need.

Quote:
HD, thanks for posting our take on the UE experience.  there's a surprising omission that's barely been commented on, and there only indirectly.  since you spent the time over at their headquarters auditioning their products prior to making your choice, why didn't you audition their latest creation the reference monitors that are so beloved by joesuburb (who wrote up a very nice take on his UE experience.

btw, have you read all the UE reviews to unequivocally state that yours is the best? there are some good ones out there. you might want to check out Jude's report on the ref monitors, for instance.

oh, and welcome to head-fi. sorry about yer wallet.....

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #30 of 44
This is great, I had been hoping for a UE11 vs UERM comparison and finally we have it!  From what I've read and experienced, my new JH16s fall somewhere in between and have the best qualities of both.   Believe me joesuburb, once you have gone custom you never go back :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back