The best surround headphone?
Mar 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Randolph Duke

100+ Head-Fier
For the past 5 years I have been using bulky Pioneer wireless surround headphones. (The older D-2000 system- no longer sold)
They are a bit heavy- but the sound is incredible.
Last night they stopped working. I changed the battery, etc- but nothing helped. They're dead.

The Pioneer transmitter has a headphone out, so I plugged in my Ultrasone pro900's.
The 900's sounded pretty good, but they are closed backed and I'm not sure i was getting the same open theater surround feel that I get from the pioneer headset. Am I correct to assume this? Open back is better for surround? Is it the headphone itself that delivers the surround effect or the transmitter?

That said- I did prefer the comfort of the smaller, lighter Ultrasones.

My ultimate question is:

Should I stick with the Ultrasones?
Go for a decent Open back headphone? (DT880?)

Or just update the Pioneer wireless surround system to latest version....SE-DIR800C...?

Thanks Much

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 16
Yes, open back headphones are better for surround sound. Are you a gamer? 

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 16
If it's for gaming get an AD700, there really is no match. 
smile.gif

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeah- that's what I thought. Thanks.

No- I do not care about games- I have a 50inch Plasma with a Blu ray player.
I have a excellent Rotel + B&W set up-   but I live in a condo and can not crank it up late at night.

So my main concern is getting the best movie listening experience through a set of headphones.

Would the AD700 be a good choice for movies as well?

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
So my main concern is getting the best movie listening experience through a set of headphones.

Would the AD700 be a good choice for movies as well?

They are nice. But also the HD595's are wonderful for movie sessions. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 16
For movie and general viewing I would suggest going with something other than the AD700 because of its distinct lack of bass impact(which is essential for movies).  Now for some suggestions for ya:

AKG K242HD

Beyerdynamic DT 990(32 or 250 Ohm versions)

Sennheiser HD598

Ultrasone HFi-2400, PRO 2900

None of these options lack bass along with exceptional sound quality,

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 16
For movies:

DT990
DT880 (if you want balance but still some bass)
D2000, D5000, D7000 (the higher the number the better, but the more expensive)
DT770 Pro 80
Pro 900

That last 3 are closed but have good soundstage and great bass impact.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 16
I surely haven´t found any better "surround" headphone then the Pro 900. None of the headphones I owned or tried is as good as an allrounder  with movies of different genres. So unless you have some problems with it I would stick with it.

Bass impact is not my primary concern for movies but the 900 surely has enough of that as well as a to me magical mid range and treble the closest I got to open heaphones so far. Not counting ported headphones like the W1000x or markl D5000.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I have a 50inch Plasma with a Blu ray player.
I have a excellent Rotel + B&W set up-   but I live in a condo and can not crank it up late at night.

Keep in mind that open back headphones leak A LOT. People can hear your music from rooms away.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Keep in mind that open back headphones leak A LOT. People can hear your music from rooms away.

Wow, those headphones must be VERY loud to be heard in other rooms.  When going through the burn-in process with my Sennheiser HD515(open air), I played them at listening levels louder than normal and I couldn't even hear them in the next room. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 16
Agree- In the condo i need to use headphones most of the time- but I do not think Open back headphones will be bleed through the walls the way the B&W's do.

I do agree the Ultrasone pro 900 do sound very, good.
But while the pro900 soundstage works excellent for music- I feel it's a bit too closed for movies.

I miss the openness I was getting from the old Pioneer's. It really felt like I was sitting in an open theater.
(I'm surprised no one has recommended the new Pioneer wireless system.)

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Wow, those headphones must be VERY loud to be heard in other rooms.  When going through the burn-in process with my Sennheiser HD515(open air), I played them at listening levels louder than normal and I couldn't even hear them in the next room. 

Not through walls of course, but I can hear my k240's from 30 feet away, and they're only semi-open. I've heard worse from people who have open headphones.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 16
x2 for the Ultrasones being great from movies and gaming. I'm yet to hear anything with as good positioning and separation for those two purposes.
Maybe you aren't amping the Pro 900s properly? They are easily driven, but amping makes a huge difference.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Agree- In the condo i need to use headphones most of the time- but I do not think Open back headphones will be bleed through the walls the way the B&W's do.

I do agree the Ultrasone pro 900 do sound very, good.
But while the pro900 soundstage works excellent for music- I feel it's a bit too closed for movies.

I miss the openness I was getting from the old Pioneer's. It really felt like I was sitting in an open theater.
(I'm surprised no one has recommended the new Pioneer wireless system.)

Pro 2900 then would be the safest choice perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back