The Best Portable Rig For Electronic Music
May 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #16 of 22
You were talking only about amps, amping, and listening to your music amped.. And that's what I based my comment on. While you often find amps and DACs combined into one device, they're quite different. If you A/B a setup using ONLY an amp, not all headphones will improve. Some IEMs and sensitive portable cans, for example.. A DAC brings an entirely new element to the party, and will of course make a difference.

Quote:
I will give you an example..
Have you ever tried listening to your headphones with your pc onboard card and after with a descent sound card?
Same applies to amps/dacs,it is like you have a portable sound card.
If you have done that and you like the sound of your onboard then i rest my case..

May 15, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 22
I feel the concept of "BEST" would entail the addition at indoor headphones worn outside. AH-D 7000s and a portable amp in the backpack.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553984/denon-d7000-review-the-king-of-fun

May 16, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
I feel the concept of "BEST" would entail the addition at indoor headphones worn outside. AH-D 7000s and a portable amp in the backpack.

Why stop there? Why not the AKG K1000 or Stax SR-009 or even Sennheiser HE90 with it's amp and source wheeled around in a huge shopping trolley and powered by a massive array of car-batteries?
The cables alone weigh over 5kg, but hey, no compromises right?

May 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #22 of 22

In the mid 1990s I connected a Zoom portable guitar amp/processor to a Sony Discman along with a set of home headphones. Walking around at the gym it did look a little funny. I had great sound as not many had even thought of using a portable battery operated amp to run home headphones. That was 20 years ago and now it is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back