The Best Noise Cancelling (ANC) Bluetooth Headphones "discussion and comparison" Thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #76 of 110
You may want to buy both and give back the one you like less. With Amazon should be possible even internationally. I did it.
Anyway, as said, for all what include vocals I prefer the Senny a lot more.
And when I say it is soft I do not mean it lacks bass. I just mean its sound is not aggressive, it is like, filed down, rounded, smooth, that was the word, not soft, but smooth. Like you would want with Sade, or with Billy Holiday.
The Parrot can do Heavy Metal better for example.
Personally those genres you mentioned seem to be more a Senny thing to me.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #77 of 110
Finally made a decision.  

Main goal for now is just ANC for long flights.  Ordered Bose QC25.  With the money saved not buying Momentum I will get a FiiO X5II.  For higher fidelity listening while traveling I figured I'd just bring along my Savant and Rockets plus have a decent source.  I originally wanted great ANC, BT, portability, and excellent SQ.  Excellent SQ in a BT ANC headphone is possible, but I'd want to research it more and the technology is getting better every year.  The Bose I can use at work for listening to podcasts and for travel.  

At the very least, I've learned that there are lots of choices out there for ANC headphones these days.   

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #78 of 110
Good choice, if BT is not a must for you, wired is generally cheaper and better. Well, Bose is not the cheapest brand around though.
But if you like their sound, their ANC is said to be top.

And having a dedicated source is always nice, specially with wired, where a good source is more important.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #79 of 110
The ANC is excellent.  Sound is what I would call least offensive.  Not bassy, not sibilant, not too warm, not too forward, not analytical.  I guess they are tradeoffs for best-in-class ANC.  It could never serve as my only headphone, but definitely good enough for flights.  Pretty comfortable.  As for build quality, my main concern is the battery door and how easy it would be to break it.

Eventually I will want a decent BT headphone, but I don't want ANC to be part of the equation.  I have the Noble BTS for BT capability, but it really doesn't have great range and as well-documented, the low end is definitely anemic or tighter.  It is probably a good match for a bassy IEM. 

Quote:
  Good choice, if BT is not a must for you, wired is generally cheaper and better. Well, Bose is not the cheapest brand around though.
But if you like their sound, their ANC is said to be top.

And having a dedicated source is always nice, specially with wired, where a good source is more important.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #80 of 110
I'm testing the def tech symphony 1. The anc is quite effective on the bass frequencies, like the hum of street traffic, of a motor, of a train. Not so much on voices.
The sound, i was told they need burn in so i have to wait.
In this moment they sound dull to me, although well balanced and with very nice soundstage.
I'll write a review in some weeks.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #81 of 110
Hi all,

I am looking to buy new pair of headphones soon. I would like to have Bluetooth and also ANC as I travel in trains and busses a lot and also airplane traveling.

For now I have been looking:
B&O Beoplay H8
Sennheiser Momentum Wireless (around ear)
Denon AH-GC20

What I would like to have is a good ANC which works in different environments (plane vs bus travel etc). A good, pretty natural sound, not too bass heavy (i mostly listen to rock and metal genres).

Of course the fitting and feel when wearing them is also important (and this is a subjective matter) but I have noticed that I don't like headphones which have too hard. I tested the H8 last weekend and they did feel great (not much pressure against ears) for the limited time i had with them. Checking out reviews from youtube it seems the Sennheisers cups are also pretty soft material, but haven't had a chance to test them. And Denons I haven't had a even chance to find here yet. It seems the Denons will leak sound to outside of the cups which is not very good.

How well does the ANC work when walking in gravel etc?

What would you recommend?

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #82 of 110
First time poster, and although I'm not sure how you determine that, I don't think I'd label myself as an audiophile. By abilities, not love for good sound :)

Anyway, I recently got Plantronics Backbeat Pro and thought I'd chime in. Unfortunately I can't describe them in as much technical detail as some of you here, nor do I have that much to compare (they are the best and most expensive headphones I've had so far, although I've listened to a number of them for short periods of time in stores). However, I notice there are a number of newbies like myself here too, who could find it useful. 

In terms of features these are hard to beat, especially at this price point. I'm not going to go into details of what they sport because that can easily be looked up, and I'll try to just provide comments on these where I have something to add.

Noise cancellation 

For me, it works well. This is one thing where I really have very little to compare to, but for muffling out engines it works pretty good. For normal home or office setting and while listening to music, I find passive isolation to work well enough to not even need ANC. But when riding in a bus or train, again with some music on (not loud), they make it sound like you are in a quiet room. It doesn't block sounds that are less constant like sudden noises or loud voices, but from my understanding that's to be expected and doesn't bother me personally at all. Haven't tried the plane yet, but compared to the train and bus I rode on so far, I think they'd be more than adequate, depending on your expectations.

However, this is also where I found the first big problem. With ANC on, my set produces buzzing/crackling sounds. It's not audible while music is playing, but can be heard between the tracks and I find it really annoying. It's not the light white noise that's normal for ANC, but more like some kind of interference, sounds almost like an old modem connecting.

Controls

Back/forward can be controlled using a wheel on the left headphone, and volume using a wheel on the right headphone. The included audio cable also has buttons for volume and works like the one you get with iPhone headsets. The cable works both when the headphones are on and off, while the earcup controls only work when the headphones are on.

Additionally, there is a play/pause button on the left earcup, and a "phone" button on the right. For me, the play/pause doesn't work in wired mode, even when the headphones are turned on. Works fine through bluetooth.

The one on the right is used for a few things. One, you use it to pair the headphones, by pressing and holding. This doesn't always work if I'm wearing them, but works normally every time I take them off. It also invokes Siri when you press and hold, lets you dial the last number, answer or decline a call.

Next, there is the "open mic" feature. On the right earcup there is a small (but easy to find) button which mutes and unmutes you during a call. More interestingly though, if you press it while not on a call, it activates its microphones and allows you to hear the outside world without taking the headphones off. I find this feature convenient and really cool, if far from essential. It helps you hear the outside sounds louder than you would normally, but it's a weird sensation because it tends to pick up some sounds more than others. I find it works better for sounds that are closer (even if they are quieter), and if you scratch your beard next to the left earcup where the microphone is... :)

All in all, I haven't found a missing control, and they all work well for me. Haven't tried with PCs or Android phones though, so I don't know what compatibility is like there.

Sensors

Another cool (and again, not really essential) feature is the headphones' ability to pause the music when you take them off and then resume when you put them back on. It's not a big deal to just pause the damn music using a button on your phones/computer/phone, but it's still pretty cool. Unfortunately, on my set it doesn't work that well. It pauses music without errors, but sometimes when I put them down on the desk they resume playing, and when that happens the play/pause button on the earcup doesn't work either. Since my set seems faulty in more than one way, it's hard to say if this is a general problem or just with this set.

Bluetooth

They can pair with up to two devices, and will switch between them automatically when you play something on one or the other. This all works pretty well, and I've had no problems pairing them (iPhone 6 and Mbpr). One thing I don't like is they assign "phone 1" to whatever is the first device it connect to when you turn them on, and regardless of the original pairing order. It's just a minor nuisance but worth mentioning. 

Plugging in the audio cable turns bluetooth off automatically, and that works well too. 

Unfortunately, this is another problem I have with my set. While it works perfectly with the iPhone, I'm having problem with the Macbook. It connects fine and works fine the first time, but then when something happens - either the headphones going to sleep, or Macbook going to sleep, or both or something else, I can't say for sure, the sound starts stuttering. It plays for a few seconds, then breaks for a few seconds, etc. I've found it sometimes help if I reset my computer, but not always. I've also found that keeping them turned off, then switching to internal speakers on the laptop for 15s, then switching back to the headphones works sometimes, but again not always.

Plantronics support was completely useless, and told me they can't support internal bluetooth adapters in PCs because there are too many, but only on phones and tablets (of which obviously there are only a few), and that I should buy their BT600 adapter if I want to have it working on the PC (which, btw, is $60). I'm not ruling out completely that the issue actually is with the laptop, but it's worked fine with a couple other (cheaper) bluetooth headsets.

Sound

This is their high point for me, although again not without problems. As I said, it's hard for me to describe this technically, but I find they reproduce the sound pretty faithfully, without much emphasis on any frequency range. I listen to metal and rock and for that, they work really well. I find vocals clear and guitars gritty, just as they should be. The bass is pretty good on these, but I don't find it's overpowering (with an exception, below) or at the expense of anything else. It simply makes you feel it, possibly because of the sheer size of the headphones. 

With ANC on, the sound changes slightly, I would say with the bass widening a little bit at the bottom end and sounding a bit clearer. But I listen to them without ANC most of the time and have no complaints.

Personally, I can't hear the difference between bluetooth and wired, but just for reference, I also can't hear the difference between a FLAC and 320kbit MP3 that's properly encoded.

However, when they are turned off and connected with the cable, the sound becomes a lot more muffled and (undefined) bass takes over. It just drops to much much lower quality. I don't know why, but I suppose it's because the internal amplifier or processor gets turned off.

Ergonomics

One of their main downsides overall is the size. They are bulky and relatively heavy, and they don't fold (only turn backwards). To me however, they are pretty comfortable. Not as light as say Bose, but very soft and fit nicely. I have medium-sized ears, but I imagine most people won't have trouble covering their ears. The headband is also soft and comfortable, although that is one part where you can feel the weight after a while. Still, it's less uncomfortable than some lighter headphones I wore, probably just because it's nicely padded and has good shape. 

Battery

I haven't measured, but mostly because it just lasts so long. I think their battery life rating is at least accurate, if not a bit conservative.

Problems

I've already listed a few: bluetooth connectivity issues, poor sound when turned off, play/pause doesn't work in wired mode and ANC buzzing. Another one is that, when both audio cable and usb are plugged in, there is even louder noise than with ANC. Additionally, when the usb cable is plugged in, they stop working in wired mode when turned off (but still work when turned on, with annoying buzzing).

Because of the problems, I'm returning them. I'd ask for a replacement, but I fear it's a general problem they all have, and because I'm moving in a couple of weeks I won't be able to return them again. 

So right now, I'm considering:

1. Risking and just getting a replacement pair (I really like them and can't seem to find anything comparable for the price).
2. Getting Sony ZX770BN, which are slightly cheaper and with fewer features, but with both BT and NC. I'd take them if I knew the sound was as good as these and that I wouldn't have similar problems, the missing features are just nice to haves.
3. Denon AH-GC20. These are much more expensive, but I found a deal where I can get them for $280 (I paid $180 for Backbeats). It's still $100, but I'd go with it if it was worth it. The problem is, I found a number of complaints about them too, and I'm not entirely convinced they would be better at all than these.

Happy to hear suggestions and opinions :)

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #84 of 110
Unfortunately, for some reason Amazon stopped shipping BackBeats to Croatia (from both Germany and UK) in the period from my first order and requesting a replacement. Now my only option is to return them back.

In the meantime, I did a bit more research and decided on Denons (AH-GC20), and they should be arriving in the next couple of days. I'll post a review and comparison to BackBeats when they do.

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #85 of 110
Alright, so here's my comparison and review of Denon AH-GC20. 

They arrived a week after Backbeats, and I've had a couple of days to test them side-by-side. 

First, the general impression. Denon headphones give off an impression of more traditional elegance, in comparison with Backbeat Pro, which look more futuristic. Unfortunately, Denons' "premium" impression gets broken by imperfect finish of the aluminum cup holders, where you can see mold and cut marks. Too bad, because otherwise they look really really nice. The "satin" plastic finish of the earcups attracts fingerprints, but I don't find that to be a big problem.

Packaging is tight and looks professional, and the included hard case is great. They also come with an airplane adapter - they are "globe cruiser" model after all.

Functions

Unfortunately, as much as they look elegant, I find the functions aren't as nice or as well thought out as with Backbeat Pro. First is the arrangement and functions of buttons. With Backbeat, you have rotating wheels for next/prev and volume, two large buttons (whole area of the cup on each side) for play/pause and answering calls, and on both there are switches for noise cancellation.

However, Denon seems to have crammed too much functionality into too few buttons. It's not a big deal and a couple of days later I've gotten used to it, but it's certainly less intuitive than Backbeat Pro. For example, you use the same button to play/pause, power on/off and pair the headphones. Additionally, the same button also slides for prev/next functionality. A bit too much for a 2mm piece of plastic if you ask me.

Volume control is a separate button on the right headphone, as is the call/answer button on the left headphone. ANC is a small switch. All the controls are pretty small and feel a bit flimsy.

One thing to note is that Denons have independent Bluetooth and ANC switches. This means you can turn ANC on without turning on the bluetooth, and of course the other way around. With Backbeat Pro, there is an on/off switch, and when they are turned off the ANC switch does nothing. So if you want to use ANC, you have to turn them on which will automatically connect to any bluetooth devices. In this regard, Denons are a bit more flexible, if less intuitive (since there's no on/off switch, you need to remember to turn off both ANC and Bluetooth when you're done listening to them).

This area definitely goes to Backbeat Pro.

Noise cancellation

Can't say I notice much difference between the two. I'd say the Backbeat Pro has better passive noise isolation, but in terms of noise cancellation, I can't hear much difference.

I'd say they come out equal in this regard, at least to me.

Sound

When I first gave Denons a try, they sounded harsh and a bit hollow to me, compared to rich, full sound of the Backbeats. However, after listening to them for a while (and alternating between them and Backbeats), I grew to like their sound much better. What I thought was harsh and hollow I now find clearer, tighter and more neutral. By comparison, Backbeat Pro now sounds a bit muddy, although I'd never have said that before comparing them to Denons. The bass has more punch and is tighter, without taking over and muffling the other frequencies. Overall, I much prefer Denons now, but had I listened to them in the store, I'd have definitely picked Backbeats.

A couple more things to note here. The first is, you don't want to listen to these headphones with ANC off. The sound becomes horrible and sounds like you're listening inside of a barrel. While the sound does change with ANC on/off on Backbeat Pro too, the change is much subtler. This is a significant downside for the Denon because it means when the battery is dead, the headphones are almost useless (at least for listening to music). However, Backbeat Pro (at least my set) also sounded horrible when they were turned off (remember, they have a separate switch for that), so it comes down to the same thing. Still, I'd really love it if you could listen to them wired with no battery power and having them sound as good as when powered on.

I found them impossible to equalize. No matter what I do, I end up with a big mess in my EQ with 6-7 notches and the sound still isn't even. It seems like the peaks are asymmetrical (is that even possible?) and very close to each other, and I just can't get it right. For comparison, I just needed a single notch for Backbeat Pro and 2 for in-ear Logitech UE. This could be due to the sort of "vacuum" they create between your ears and earcups or something else, but it's a bit frustrating :)

Another really important thing to note here is sound leakage. They really leak! My wife almost got me to return them, she says she can't sit next to me without listening to the same music as I do. They really do leak, and I find that particularly ironic considering they are labeled as "globe cruiser". I can only expect people sitting next to me on the plane to complain. Adding a bit of tape to the vents on top of the phones helps a lot, but it also changes the sound slightly (less than turning off ANC though). I'm willing to live with that as a last resort if needed :)

Finally, Denons seem to require listening at a higher volume before opening up. When you listen to them at low volume, they seem much less clear. I don't find that to be the case with Backbeat, which sound great at all volumes.

Denons win here for me - I really love the sound - although sound leakage can be a problem.

Ergonomics

Both of these headphones are really comfortable. However, Backbeats are noticeably heavier and the top of my head hurts after a few hours of listening so I have to keep moving the headband (might not be the case for everyone - I removed all my hair). However, the earcups are more comfortable - they are super soft and don't press on the side of my head at all. So far, they are the only headphones that don't hurt on the side even after several hours when wearing glasses. 

Denons on the other hand are much lighter. I don't find them uncomfortable at the top of my head even after very long use, but they do press my glasses on the side and hurt after a while. I've found that to be a problem with all headphones though (aside from Backbeats), and when not wearing glasses it's not an issue at all. 

Some people report the noise cancellation speaker touching their ears. It really does stick out quite a bit, but I didn't find that to be a problem (I have small-medium sized ears, and not very protruding).

Denons fold inwards and rotate forward which I find a bit stupid, but better than nothing. 

In terms of comfort, I'd give a slight advantage to Denons because they are so much lighter, but Backbeats aren't uncomfortable either.

Sensors

Denons don't have any of the high-tech sensors Backbeats do. No automatic pausing, no talk-through, no deep sleep. 

This area definitely goes to Backbeat Pro.

Bluetooth

Just like Backbeats, they sport low-latency aptx. Officially, Backbeats boast a much higher range, but for me Denons work better here. When listening from Macbook Pro, I was able to walk around the apartment (5-10m with several walls in between), and although they'd break up every now and then, they were much better than Backbeats to which I couldn't listen to in another room. Listening from iPhone, they both worked all over the apartment without issues. I'm not sure if the difference comes from a weaker Bluetooth adapter in the Mac or the fact that they connect to Mac using aptx (which isn't available on iPhone), but either way Denons worked better for me.

More importantly, I didn't experience any of the stuttering and playback failures on the Mac with Denons, and which made listening wireless with Backbeats almost impossible.

Sound-wise, I can't hear the difference between wired and bluetooth (on both headphones). If I could witch between the two without pause, maybe. But it takes a couple of seconds, and by then I can't notice any change.

Denons win hands-down here.

Battery

I haven't had either of them long enough to really test out the battery properly. It also doesn't help that they both have really long battery life, so figuring out how long exactly they lasted isn't that easy. However, I've been listening to Denons for two days now (with a combination of wired and wireless, and with ANC always on), and they are at 80% of battery. So far they seem to be doing even better than Backbeat Pro which already have great battery life, but I can't make a definite conclusion.
I'm curious how long the Denons will last with just ANC (but not Bluetooth) on, because that's how I'll mostly listen to them in the office.

Problems

This is the main difference between the two. Namely, I haven't really experienced any problems with Denons (well, aside from sound leakage). They do have fewer features and some things work a bit differently, but everything they do, they do properly. The same can't be said for Backbeat Pro (at least my pair) which had more problems than features.

Conclusion

I loved both of these headphones. Had they not stopped shipping them, I'd have ordered a replacement Backbeat Pro set and, assuming the worst problems / bugs went away, I'd have been happy with them. But after getting the Denons, I fell in love with them and definitely prefer them. Since these are both bluetooth and ANC headphones, I view them as much as electronic devices as I view them as headphones, and in that regard Backbeat Pro is a much more modern, but buggy product - like a prototype or alpha version. Denons are more conservative, but better done.

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #86 of 110
Very good comparison!
Nice.
I also had a bad first impression of the Denon.
I will give them more tests in these days.

Are you not considering the Parrot? Or do you absolutely need lot of battery (well, you could buy an extra one on the Zik) and Low Latency?
Do you need the ANC to be able to be turned on and off?
You may check the JBL Everest Elite 700 and the Definitive Technology Symphony 1.
The first being a more engaging headphone, the latter being more fine, higher quality, best soundstage of any BT headphone.
On both you can turn ANC on and off.
The Symphony are also Low Latency.

Otherwise the Senny M2AEBT are very very good. But ANC is always on.

The Zik you can change lot of things. They are cool.
But by being SBC the audio-video delay may be noticeable.

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #87 of 110
  CREATIVE OUTLIER

Which source did you use?

I have problems with them because they are made for gaming too, apparently, and support the Faststream codec which allows to listen and speak at same time but is horrible for music.
Two of my adapters automatically connect them in Faststream mode.
Only with the Creative BT-W2 I can have the normal BT Codec (SBC I believe, as I don't remember them supporting Aptx).
Anyway, are they ANC???

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #88 of 110
Off my samsung note 1......:)

For a min , i didnt know what outlier u were talkg about,
Tucked it out of sight n out of mind..lol

Chargggging it now...not ANC ..didnt see any button to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back