The Best High End IEM For Me!
Aug 26, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #31 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Friskyseal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FMT, we have the exact same tastes in music, and i thought the e500s were horrible. the roll-off in highs results in non-existent treble. the "sparkle" of electronic sounds is entirely absent. secondly, the e500's bass is too boomy, so think of house music where the entire song has a bass line...it's just....BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM...maybe you like that, but for me it was distracting and took out all the enjoyment of the song.

the triple.fi's are different but i didn't find them worth their price at all. they definitely have treble compared to the shures, but i found them to have a little bit too much. felt too sharp, too "metallic."

can't really make a suggestion because i never found what i thought was a great IEM...personally, i wouldn't waste any more time on them unless i could afford a pair of UE-10s or 11s.

good luck, let me know if you find a pair you love.

eek.gif
the e500 are very very far from boomy lol nothing this high end is boomy,the bass is more punchy and yes maybe lacks as much definition as lets say the triple fi's but its very far from boomy,this is such a newbs comment another thing to note is shures earphones usually have a house sound signature,but bear in mind with earphones this expensive it is controlled and clean there really isnt much boom boom boom,the mids are known to stand out more than the bass anyway,im sure that will be confirmed from many

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #32 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrmm,

It seems that the Shure E500/SE530 is getting alot of votes despite it's issue with 'rolling highs'. I feel that that may impact my listening, since while I like bass, I'm not a total basshead.

As stated in my first post my main genre is trance/dance/techoish, so I don't want any of the quality to be lost as a result of the earphone.

I'm still looking around, what are people's opinions on the ones that haven't been voted for: Shure E5C and Westone etc?

kthx
smily_headphones1.gif

the shure e500 highs are not as rolled off as people make out,i find it perfect but that my opinion,the e5c are good but i think the reason they have a lack of votes is because for the price you can get the e500 which is just an improvement in every way,the um2,e5c,ue extra bass and 5 pro's all have boomy bass compared with e500 and triple fi and whats the similarities...there all dual driver,the extra driver of triple driver phones generally gives increased clarity and definition to bass,ofcourse you pay a bit more (except in the e5c case) than the dual drivers but the extra driver usually does a great job of managing the bass and lower mids but i gotta say the livewires are a nice prospect even for me who favours the e500,the livewires have generally a flat response,check out www.cnet.com they usually give a decent review on earphones with a good opinion on all things technology,they have a good review of the livewires and shures

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #33 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
the e500 are very very far from boomy lol nothing this high end is boomy,the bass is more punchy and yes maybe lacks as much definition as lets say the triple fi's but its very far from boomy,this is such a newbs comment another thing to note is shures earphones usually have a house sound signature,but bear in mind with earphones this expensive it is controlled and clean there really isnt much boom boom boom,the mids are known to stand out more than the bass anyway,im sure that will be confirmed from many

Not to be critical but I am going to be, lol. Is it really necessary to attempt to discredit someone else's view by calling them a newb simply on the basis they don't agree with you about the E500? The poster may be new to the board, or choose not to comment often but that does not speak to their knowledge or ablity to judge a product. As said plenty of times before in many other posts everyone hears differently and what is most palatible to one will vary greatly from person to person.

To the OP,
My experience is the UE's are great for dance, techno, they are my phone of choice for when I listen to that genre of music (typically at the gym). They are a little less comfortable than the Shures. The Shures I find better for rock and Blues, they do vocals very well for IEM's and are more discreet and comfortable when worn.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #34 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael415 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be critical but I am going to be, lol. Is it really necessary to attempt to discredit someone else's view by calling them a newb simply on the basis they don't agree with you about the E500? The poster may be new to the board, or choose not to comment often but that does not speak to their knowledge or ablity to judge a product. As said plenty of times before in many other posts everyone hears differently and what is most palatible to one will vary greatly from person to person.

To the OP,
My experience is the UE's are great for dance, techno, they are my phone of choice for when I listen to that genre of music (typically at the gym). They are a little less comfortable than the Shures. The Shures I find better for rock and Blues, they do vocals very well for IEM's and are more discreet and comfortable when worn.

i wasnt discreditin nobody i just dont understand some peoples interpretation of boomy bass,i did not mean any disrespect to that poster i was just stating that maybe he does not understand nearly as clearly as others the values of bass and so on,and that is why i stated he should try those dual driver earphones to see true boomy bass then the difference would be obvious,sorry guys no disrespect intended

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #35 of 90
I would avoid the EB's, since you are going to have a dark amp in the PA2V2. You would have A TON of bass.. If that's possible with the EB's.

And jinx, it's likely that the E500's bass seemed boomy to Friskyseal because of the absent highs, making them sound dark and unbalanced. Again, there are two schools of thought with Shures: People who enjoy the rolled-off highs like yourself, and those who don't, like me. Some people prefer the house sound, and some that don't. Everything's an opinion and should be treated as such, since we all have different dispositions and ears.

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #36 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

I have to admit, while I don't like the sound of the E500, I have to agree here with Jinx, they are certainly not boomy. The bass and midrange is pretty tight and very detailed. Those highs just don't do it for me.

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #38 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone give me an example of what they mean by 'rolled off' highs?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a tad bit confused now with all these speak of the problem with highs!

lack of highs means the production of sound places a greater emphasis on the other part of the spectrum (mids, bass) then it does on the highs. The roled of part means theres a slope in the Frequency response that starts to descend when it hits the high frequency section.

If you want to hear an exaggerated example of rolled off highs stand in front of a stereo and gently cover your ears. That's what the E500s sound like to me.

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #41 of 90
yeah i understand that, but at least it will giv me an idea.

i am finding out if i can get ear impressions to get custom iem's, so since the only ones i can afford are the livewires, how are they for sound?

http://www.livewiresforyou.com/index.php?ID=08 <<
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #42 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by saboteur1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would avoid the EB's, since you are going to have a dark amp in the PA2V2. You would have A TON of bass.. If that's possible with the EB's.

And jinx, it's likely that the E500's bass seemed boomy to Friskyseal because of the absent highs, making them sound dark and unbalanced. Again, there are two schools of thought with Shures: People who enjoy the rolled-off highs like yourself, and those who don't, like me. Some people prefer the house sound, and some that don't. Everything's an opinion and should be treated as such, since we all have different dispositions and ears.

i understand and fully agree,but what im trying to get across is that the original poster said he likes house and the shures would give the perfect house sound.basically rolled off highs can usually mean that no matter how high u play your music the very highest of the highs wont get any louder because they are rolled,therfor this is what causes the smooth sound and highs,because they dont get any louder or clearer,they usually stay the same volume,thats what rolled would sound like

i apologise that this may be a difficult way to understand it hopefully someone can agree and explain a little clearer

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #44 of 90
I was thinking along the lines of a good universal IEM as my next purchase, but I'm kind of wondering if by the time I save enough money for one of the better universals if the Westone 3 will be out (it'd be nice to compare/contrast the UE, Shure, Westones for an informed decision). I'm thinking I'll actually have enough to splurge guilt-and-credit-free by Thanksgiving or possibly Christmas (I'm a teacher, thus, poor).

Basically, my plan is to upgrade one thing at a time until I hit a wall of how much enjoyment I'm getting out of my new toys. Once my ears are no longer perceiving differences, I'm done.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #45 of 90
hrmm

another update, im seriosuly considering customs now, well actually the Livewire customs cuz they are the only customs i can afford and people seem to like them.

They are much cheaper than the E500/TripleFi10's that has a lot of votes.

Has anyone used both custom and universal IEMs, what do you reckon is the benefit of custom over universal?

I'm prob gon get ear impressions next week or so, so will see how this thread pans out
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back