The Best High End IEM For Me!
Aug 26, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 90
FMT, we have the exact same tastes in music, and i thought the e500s were horrible. the roll-off in highs results in non-existent treble. the "sparkle" of electronic sounds is entirely absent. secondly, the e500's bass is too boomy, so think of house music where the entire song has a bass line...it's just....BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM...maybe you like that, but for me it was distracting and took out all the enjoyment of the song.

the triple.fi's are different but i didn't find them worth their price at all. they definitely have treble compared to the shures, but i found them to have a little bit too much. felt too sharp, too "metallic."

can't really make a suggestion because i never found what i thought was a great IEM...personally, i wouldn't waste any more time on them unless i could afford a pair of UE-10s or 11s.

good luck, let me know if you find a pair you love.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #17 of 90
hmm thanks FriskySeal, I really wish i could afford a pair of custom UE10's or 11's, if there were dealers/audiologists in my area I would consider, but $1000 is extremely pricey for earphones.

I still think $600 (what teh E500 retails in AU for) is very pricey, at the moment I am watching a pair of TripFi's on eBay at around $130AU, so if I win them, that will be good, although they have half as many votes as the E500.

I do like my Bass, but I dnt want it to be too boomy and overpower the rest of the track. And all this problem with the 'highs' that E500 has is worrying me, since I do enjoi non bassy music as well.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok,

The ER4's also seem to be a good choice, but they need to be well amped. I am getting the PA2V2, is that good enough as an amp, or would something abit more high end go?

On the contrary, ER-4 + PA2V2 is a very good match actually because PA2V2 is a healthy amp with good supply of bass and ER4 will supply you finesse in highs. It's a known fact that ER-4 will shine paired with warm/tubey sounding amp.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #19 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEMaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted for the Triple.fi 10 Pro. Personally, I like them better than the E500. I listened to the Shure's at Atlanta Airport like 5 Times. They do sound good, but Im not a fan of roll-off in the highs. I like the treble to nice and smooth, with incredible detail and extension which is what the Triple.fi's have. However, everyone can't be wrong, just because I don't like them doesn't mean that you won't, so Im recommending either one, the Triple.fi or the E500.
icon10.gif

I wish all recommendations were as explanatory and even-handed as this one. Very nice.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 90
I voted for the triple fi's. For a universal fit monitor they have the best sound. That said, if you're really serious about high end monitors the answer for you is UE10s........that's a no brainer for me. While there is over a 500 dollar difference between the Triple fi's and the UE10s, I feel the price difference is definitely justified. I have not heard the UE11s but I imagine the UE10s are a bit more high end in terms of neutrality. In the words of other head-fiers......the UE11s are more "fun"

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 90
Hrmm,

It seems that the Shure E500/SE530 is getting alot of votes despite it's issue with 'rolling highs'. I feel that that may impact my listening, since while I like bass, I'm not a total basshead.

As stated in my first post my main genre is trance/dance/techoish, so I don't want any of the quality to be lost as a result of the earphone.

I'm still looking around, what are people's opinions on the ones that haven't been voted for: Shure E5C and Westone etc?

kthx
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #23 of 90
Hey... If you really like that kind of music the best possible experience will be with Ultimate ears EBs. I have them and I love them a lot. You just need to burn in them for about 2 days to get that bass you want. They are the best in the bass line. The triple .fi are also superb. I did not heard them jet...
I do not recomand you Shures or Ety's... to bright for that kind of music...

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #25 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by die kassette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey... If you really like that kind of music the best possible experience will be with Ultimate ears EBs. I have them and I love them a lot. You just need to burn in them for about 2 days to get that bass you want. They are the best in the bass line. The triple .fi are also superb. I did not heard them jet...
I do not recomand you Shures or Ety's... to bright for that kind of music...

hmm just to clarify, burn in is when i leave an album on it playing for 2 days straight non-stop?

btw you are recommending the Super Fi 5 Extended Bass not the Pros right?

What about the Triple FI?

Also keep in mind they will be amped by a PA2v2 and I might be getting a Little Dot Micro+ as well.

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #26 of 90
I agree with EFN that the PA2v2 will match well with ER4P for good bass. I'm wondering if you're having Gary set the PA2v2 gain at low. Using the line out from iPod into PA2v2 with high gain is bad news for low impedance. You would have almost no volume range and possible channel imbalance. These issues were observed from my experience with a PA2v2 that I once owned.

I love my ER4P (P to S) for everything!
etysmile.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #27 of 90
hrmm, what is this gain thing?

i didnt specify anything with gary, just getting a plain ol pa2v2, i hope that i dont hav issues since ive been waiting around 2 weeks for the amp, and still havent got it yet :S

CANT EDIT POLL - So would also like to add the Westone UM3 to the list!! thx

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #28 of 90
Hey... Yes... That is burn in, and yes I recommending you the Super Fi 5 Extended Bass.
With pros. you will get the bass with 0 distortion but not as you want, you will get super kick with Eb's ( 13.5 mm bass driver, close to your ear drum, that is BIG ) . The other high end IEMs are sounding too bright for me, Eb's sound bright to me, but, well... Bummm shakalakalaka bass is there.
Triple Fi going deeper, they don't have that EB's kick, but I think they are warmer in bass, they go under 20Hz, but it is impossible to hear that for human ear, you can feel that freq. with the speakers in your body but not with phones.
Eb's are not expensive as triple fi, you really get what you pay for.
I don't have an amp, but with amp they are really basshead heaven as everybody here say for them...

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #29 of 90
hmmm nice, im quite liking the sound of the EB's.

What are peoples views on the Westone UM3 that is pending release, I am slowly going through the thread and there is a lot of hype goin on!

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #30 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hrmm, what is this gain thing?

i didnt specify anything with gary, just getting a plain ol pa2v2

It will probably be set at high(default). You might want to contact Gary asap and ask him to give you a low gain. I think he'll also change it for you if you send it back (for free??).

The only down side to having low gain if if you wanted to drive full size cans that aren't very efficient.

I used my PA2v2 (high gain) initially with a minidisc player using the headphone out so I had the option of lowering the volume on the player which fixed my gain problem. I later paired the PA2v2 with a Zen Vision:M using line out and realized the problem with high gain & IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back