The Best High End IEM For Me!
Sep 6, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im not a big fan of the touch, but my music collection just topped 103gb. and since joining here, ive begun reripping all my music into flac, and alac to listen to. so i still have lot more cd's to get thru and feel that im gonna need that 160gb.

nice yeh most of my 80gb ipod is being taken up by lossless,i pick lossless for the obvious reason,i get the best from my music but im thinking maybe i should drop down to 320AAC or something to make the most of the memory,thats why i got the highest gb ipod at the time anyway,i dont personally think i want yet another ipod,the 80gb has not been out too long,and now with the touch and its measly 16gb max seems all gimmick,who is going to sacrifice even a 30gb to go down to 16,seems strange

Sep 6, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #77 of 90
This is getting way OT, so I'll contribute to the downfall
redface.gif

I don't need to carry ALL my music with me, I sync what I'm in the mood for that day. 80gb is enough, even though my iTunes library uses 220gb.

I have a 2gb nano with sleeping music, 8gb nano with a wider mix for running around on errands, and 80gb for longer trips or to entertain the kids waiting for dinner at a restaurant, etc... However, my favorites only use up 13gb on my iRiver, so I opted for the 16gb touch which will also replace my Nokia 770 web tablet and sync my music videos without cutting out some favorite songs. ATT service sucks where I live, so iPhone was NEVER an option - even at the same $399 I'm not going to downgrade to 8gb just for GSM/EDGE and a $59/mo service plan.

Now, back to our usual programming. I've decided I like my E500PTH so much that I stopped considering customs like Livewires or UE10/11, instead will do custom tips for only $110. I'll keep my Denon C700 (for goofing off around town when I need less isolation, and Shure E4c for sleeping with, but I will likely sell off the Bose IE, and Shure E2c and SE310 soon (The ER6i too but my 14 year old daughter/guitar player wants those). Those are all nice IEM, but enough is enough, 7 sets!?!?

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting evaluation, may I ask roughly how old you are? < 30?

Thanks!

In my case, I am 45yr old and the treble of the E500PTH is just right. And I'm a child of the 70's and 80's rock that I would play louder and louder from Koss headphones till my eardrums tickled
eek.gif

(Kiss, Aerosmith, Stones, Kansas, Queen, Led Zeppelin, etc)

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #79 of 90
amen to that i find the highs on the shure se530 perfect,wether they are rolled or too sharp or woteva they are simply perfect for me,they do a special job for me,i ave the ue10 and still pick up the shures,an the reason is it is slightly warmer and i listen to a lot of nice clean bassy music i.e reggae/rap/hip hop so on they are really good,seriously

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amen to that i find the highs on the shure se530 perfect,wether they are rolled or too sharp or woteva they are simply perfect for me,they do a special job for me,i ave the ue10 and still pick up the shures,an the reason is it is slightly warmer and i listen to a lot of nice clean bassy music i.e reggae/rap/hip hop so on they are really good,seriously

It sounds like the UE11 are a good mix of the E500/SE530 and the UE10, but $1150 - Yikes!
eek.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #81 of 90
Future Sonics Atrio, all the way. They sound so much better than any Shure, UE, Ety, etc., I have owned or tried. Not for everyone, sure - but for me I have yet to find an IEM that gets everything right like the Atrio (bass, mids, treble, clarity, no sibilance, no listening fatigue, little cable microphonics, great isolation, ...)

For my tastes, this single dynamic driver beats any multi-armature IEM any time.

For the OP's musical preferences (techno/hiphop/rock/...) they seem to be a good match, too.

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #82 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my tastes, this single dynamic driver beats any multi-armature IEM any time.

now this is just funny
k1000smile.gif
crazy dude man,slip some se530 or triple fi in your head and see how you feel then

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #85 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would highly advize trying the E500s before you buy them as I thought they were unlistenable for a lot of music. There is a difference between warm and muddy and the E500s are 100% mud.

In my case, that isn't the case. I have yet to find material that they don't sound great to me with E500's, especially vs the Super.fi 5 pro... Talk about muddy. Although the Super.fi 5 pro might be my choice over anything under the "3" series of Shure or UE, or Even the ER6i (but sf 5 pro don't fit me as well as the others).

On simple string bass jazz trio the S.f 5 pro are great, but get into a complicated piece of Rock music, or even the Lord of the Rings Return of the King classical music soundtrack, and the E500 win clearly. To my ears at least.

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now this is just funny
k1000smile.gif
crazy dude man,slip some se530 or triple fi in your head and see how you feel then

It really isn't that funny. I understand what dfkt is saying. One reason good full-size headphones excel where speakers do not is because they don't need a crossover. When you have multiple drivers, you have overlapping of the frequencies. This can give a bloated sound at those crossover points. The higher-end your floor standing speaker is, the less you will notice those crossover points. The best IEM would be one that is fully capable of reproducing all the frequencies evenly with one superb driver. Unfortunately, they have yet to figure out the solution to that in an IEM so you end up with multiple armatures, or one decent dynamic driver. In the case of Etymotic, they probably have the most neutral sound for a single armature IEM but there is a definite lack of bass there.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #87 of 90
The Shure would be your safest bet, I owned lots of headphones, my long time and current reference is my Sony R-10, I can assure you that the Shure won't limit you in any case, that is all if you have a good source (minimum Imod) and a good amp/buffer (no gain).
The shure are indeed round but it doesn't miss any details, just presents them in a more relaxed and imho more suitable way for something that seats inside your ear for many hours.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #88 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard all Shure IEMs from the E2c upwards, and I honestly prefer the Atrio to any of them. As I said, that's my taste - you certainly seem to prefer the E500, considering your signature... Out of curiosity - did you try the Atrio?

I have to agree with dfkt. I've tried the Shure E500's, and I find the overlapping of the high, mid, and low frequencies to be more exhausting and less natural-sounding to the ear. The Atrios does what I thought never possible from a single-dynamic driver IEM - having great highs and mids, in addition to well-endowed bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back