The best headphones for metal/hardcore music?
Jul 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Matrixerx

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I am an entry level audiophile type and I really need a headphone that is durable, going to handle metal and hardcore music very well and also be portable. I usually listen to my headphones at home, in the car, bus and sometimes in school; for these reason they need to be closed. Also, my last pair of headphones were Koss ProDj100s and they handled my music fairly well. I would also like the headphones to be accurate and true to the original recording sound. I've been looking at headphones and have come up with a short list below:

• Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (250, 80 or 32 ohms)
  • V-moda crossfade lp
  • Ultrasone PRO 750's

Short list of bands that I like:
  • Bring Me The Horizon
  • Of Mice & Men
  • blessthefall
  • Memphis May Fire
  • Suicide Silence

Please leave any suggestions or opinions on the above headphones; especially the difference between the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (250, 80 or 32 ohms) for metal and hardcore music (especially from the bands above).

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 8
For your price range, Ultrasone PRO 750's are perfect. However, it wouldn't hurt to look in your area to see if there are any stores that demo Grado headphones. They have a very aggressive soundstage, so they aren't for everyone, (myself included) but many love them for heavy distorted rock music. 

also, not to be an *******, but those sorts of bands aren't hardcore punk. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 8
^ while that is the perfect choice for the Genre, did say that they would be used on the bus, and my 325 couldnt leak more sound if i had the earpieces facing outward. If it has to be closed, Look away from the LP1 and look towards the M-80 or the M-100.

and hardcore punk would be early Iron Maiden or Cro Mags

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 8
I hear the clamping force on Ultrasones can be quite fatiguing.  I hear great things about the Sony MDR-1R and you can find it for $200.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Sennheiser 25 I II might be down your alley as a sealed, portable solution. Sounds great with plenty of heavy music due to a forward and aggressive nature. Not sure if it is in the price range you agree looking at but for metal I certainly prefer it over the ultrasones and dt770.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I hear the clamping force on Ultrasones can be quite fatiguing.  I hear great things about the Sony MDR-1R and you can find it for $200.

Not true. 
Some have problems with the headband, but that's something you can fix. There's a mod for that. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Sennheiser 25 I II might be down your alley as a sealed, portable solution. Sounds great with plenty of heavy music due to a forward and aggressive nature. Not sure if it is in the price range you agree looking at but for metal I certainly prefer it over the ultrasones and dt770.

x2

Also, you can split the headband, they stay tight while headbangin'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back