The Best? DX100 vs AK100 vs Altmann Tera
Jan 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

En_R

100+ Head-Fier
So far I've looked at the iBasso DX100, The iRiver AK100, and the Altmann Tera.

Anyone have experience with 2 or more of these units want to chime in? I'm set on buying one.

I have a RX MK3-b amp and a Larocco Diablo I intend to use with them, unless the internal amp is actually better (I doubt it).

If there are currently other DAPs that can match these 3 in SQ let me know. Also I wish to know if there are any small form factor usb DAC's that can compete with these, such as the dragonfly/hrt series.

Edit: I intend to use these with whatever IEM is best (UERM? JH audio?) but that is for later. I also intend to use them with my collection of cans. This will be an "office rig" so to speak.

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 41
There is a simple comparison of it on headfonia , in mikes review of the ak 100 he compared it with the tera player , and the dx 100/hm 801 (i forgot which)
The review is for the original ak 100 and not the rwa version

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 41
I have a feeling it he questions here are too "generic" as there is no universal "best". Also, when you say best, do you mean solely SQ? Members here who have compare between the Tera Player & the DX100 prefer the Tera Player SQ over the DX100...but at the same time, converting their tracks to WAV, & working with a player with no display has been painful.

Similarly DX100 owners who have compared to the RWAK100 feel the bass of the DX100 is more fulfilling (for me, I found the both to be the same, & I'm selling my DX100). But aside from SQ, my RWAK100 battery has lasted 3x of my DX100. The RWAK100 seems to have a faster UI for my use. But I also use low impedance IEMs so the RWAK100 is fine for those purposes.

Note using the above as DAPs (no external amps), the AK100 doesn't even come into the picture. If you use an external amp, then the DX100, RWAK100, & AK100 are more on "equal grounds".

So you probably need to clarify your requirements a little better.

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 41
I have a feeling it he questions here are too "generic" as there is no universal "best". Also, when you say best, do you mean solely SQ? Members here who have compare between the Tera Player & the DX100 prefer the Tera Player SQ over the DX100...but at the same time, converting their tracks to WAV, & working with a player with no display has been painful.

Similarly DX100 owners who have compared to the RWAK100 feel the bass of the DX100 is more fulfilling (for me, I found the both to be the same, & I'm selling my DX100). But aside from SQ, my RWAK100 battery has lasted 3x of my DX100. The RWAK100 seems to have a faster UI for my use. But I also use low impedance IEMs so the RWAK100 is fine for those purposes.

Note using the above as DAPs (no external amps), the AK100 doesn't even come into the picture. If you use an external amp, then the DX100, RWAK100, & AK100 are more on "equal grounds".

So you probably need to clarify your requirements a little better.

I intend to use it with an external amp. The RX MK3 and the Larocco Diablo.

I am looking for SQ only.

I want to know how these DAP's stack up against portable dacs (ODAC/Dragonfly/HRT).

Can the Tera be used with an external amp? Does it even have an internal amp? It's tiny.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:
Can the Tera be used with an external amp? Does it even have an internal amp? It's tiny.

The Tera has an internal amp like all the others, but no connections other than (2) output 1/8" jacks. 

The 'thing' about the Tera is supposed to be its amazing SQ. I have never heard it but those that have rave about it.

I am very curious, just like you, about which one would be the best SQ wise.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 41
The Tera has an internal amp like all the others, but no connections other than (2) output 1/8" jacks. 

The 'thing' about the Tera is supposed to be its amazing SQ. I have never heard it but those that have rave about it.

I am very curious, just like you, about which one would be the best SQ wise.

So it doesn't have a line-out?

I mean I can get why its a good DAC, it has a very short signal route, but how can the amp be anywhere near decent for such a small size?

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 41
So it doesn't have a line-out?

I mean I can get why its a good DAC, it has a very short signal route, but how can the amp be anywhere near decent for such a small size?

Despite not having a dedicated line-out, I often use my Tera-Player as a source for my Mapletree tube amp when driving challenging headphones. IMO, the headphone outputs have better sound than most line-outs that I have used in the past. Of course that is only my opinion and as always, YMMV!

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 41
I have read much about these DAPs, and I am also in the market, so I am also very curious to hear from those who have heard two or more of these.

I'm afraid I would have to exclude the Tera player out of hand though.  It may very well have the best SQ, those who have heard it certainly think so.  But only being able to play wav files, and not having a UI makes it completely unacceptable for my uses.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 41
@nelamvr6

How ironic that you already own the Altmann recommended headphones for the Tera:  Koss Portapro's   
rolleyes.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 41
And it would still be a preference. I think his response seems to be clear enough to understand that he either did compare or didn't need to for his satisfaction. I think there's great validity in opinions derived from living with something as a compare as long as they're not too far apart. The Altmann is a bit too functionally limited for my personal needs or I'd give it a try as well.

I'm not arguing with you and think your process is a fine one. However, his doing so is not the same as you doing so, so I think that opinion valid enough either way. Let us know what you think when you try.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back