The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment
Dec 15, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #406 of 482
Arn't audiophile quality recordings just well recorded that they generally sound good? Anyway, this recording I've heard some differences in details between two of my iems, and it's quite excellent. The textures in trumpet and drums and impact can vary depending on the headphones I think. My Andromeda is perfect for Dave Brubeck for some reason. Horn sounds well articulated, and bass impact is done enough to be foward, and just seems that sound forwardness level of various instruments are at the right level. This is out of my Opus #2 which contributes to the output to the Andromeda. It just sounds so darn good I repeatedly listen to this album without it getting old.

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #407 of 482
320x320.jpg
best soundstage I have yet experienced... some friends actually turn their head from side to side looking for the source of some sounds...

Highly recommend the TIDAL version I've been listening to.

Best,

TonyAAA
Wow, this album is just a great recording.

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #410 of 482
Not a track or album, more a question about a record label.

ECM has a reputation for a clean, almost clinical, sound. I’ve never found it easy to listen to ECM albums and put it down to a preference for a less clinical experience. But after spending a while listening to an ECM Hi-Res playlist on Qobuz, I’m coming to the conclusion that my difficulty with ECM is more to do with spatial positioning.
The ECM tracks have me right in the middle of the group, and rather than being cosy and involved it feels intrusive and claustrophobic. I can’t relax because some drummer’s kit is right on top of me, some horn player is parked under my left earlobe and I have to move so the pianist can reach some of the notes.
I can turn the volume down, but they are still pressed up against me.
Eavesdropping can be fun, but a bit of personal space is necessary.

Is this just me?

As an aside; it is lovely to hear the background "scratching" of the acoustic oud (?) on the opening section of Bom Dia Rio from Anouar Brahem's Blue Maqams, but too many of the instruments are right on top of the listener.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #411 of 482
My favorite reference albums:
1) Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
2) Holly Cole - Temptation
3) Yes - Fragile (Steve Hoffman vinyl pressing)
4) Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (Analogue Productions vinyl pressing)

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #412 of 482
I prefer

1. Beethoven - No 5 symphony from Berliner with Herbert von Karajan.
2. Ito Yuna - Trust you
3. JJ Lin - By Your Side
4. Beyonce - Halo
5. Josh Groban - Stage

3 ,5 have 94/24bits Hi Res sources and 3 use binural recording.
2 and 4 is for female vocalist.
1 is classical music and sound stage.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #414 of 482

I was listening to Muddy's classic "Folk Singer" yesterday whilst walking the dog; 24/192 FLAC->FiiO X7->balanced out to->Shure SE846.

I had a sudden "Oh yeah, this is what all the expense is about!" moment :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #415 of 482
I took an audio engineering class and the instructor used Steely Dan's Aja as an example of a well engineered and produced record. Of course that was before iTools and digital everything. Before motorized faders and before music started to sound sterile. My favorite records are Dark Side of the Moon and almost everything Roger Waters did with Pink Floyd with the exception of The Final Cut which should have been his first solo record.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #416 of 482

I also have that muddy waters album, and it is absolutely fantastic.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #417 of 482
I prefer

1. Beethoven - No 5 symphony from Berliner with Herbert von Karajan.
2. Ito Yuna - Trust you
3. JJ Lin - By Your Side
4. Beyonce - Halo
5. Josh Groban - Stage

3 ,5 have 94/24bits Hi Res sources and 3 use binural recording.
2 and 4 is for female vocalist.
1 is classical music and sound stage.

I really like Karajan's Beethoven symphonies too. I would also suggest his Beethoven symphony no. 9 last movement. Great for soundstage, control, dynamics, instrument separation etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back