The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment
Mar 11, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #376 of 482
Deep Purple, Limitless, 2017 - First sign of madness

Hard rock, LOTS  of instruments, decent stage width  -> attractive and complicated cacophony.
DAC, Amp, cans - you need everything top notch to hear dynamic and details.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #379 of 482
  Deep Purple, Limitless, 2017 - First sign of madness

Hard rock, LOTS  of instruments, decent stage width  -> attractive and complicated cacophony.
DAC, Amp, cans - you need everything top notch to hear dynamic and details.

Haven't heard this track yet but I like that you can test with hard rock. Totally underrated in the audiophile circuit, I think.  Loud volume, guitar distortion, lots of cymbals, growling bass -- these are things that many other musical styles don't include.

I find rock electric bass to be a great tell - if you can hear fingers on strings and frets buzzing you are in high resolution and/or have a really good rig!

I picked up Machine Head in 24bit and even smoke on the water sounded fresh again. Lazy and Space Truckin!?  Wow. Deep Purple has always been one of my favorites. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #380 of 482
Napoleon - Different Skin
If you can make your system reproduce this track at least tolerably (not to mention enjoyably) it can chew on virtually anything. Best example of crazy-ass metal madness.

Mylene Farmer - C'est pas moi
All about sibilance

Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz - Get Low
All about subbass

Momocashew - Oliver Pumpkin Spice Dummy
All about highs

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #386 of 482

Track is so simple, that it has zero usability.

Any better suggestions are welcome 
biggrin.gif

Edit: Ah, just saw your prior post...

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #388 of 482
To stop fight about Donald Fagen.

If you want older - check tracks by Toto. For example "Till the End"
Want more recent - many tracks of Thorbjørn Risager. Dunno, "Make it Real" or "Roll'em Pete" for example.

But beware, some makers like Sennheiser produce most of their cans (even costly ones) with veiled sound, so you would perceive only half of complexity of mentioned tracks.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #389 of 482
BTW, for those who insist in latest electronic music w/o measuring it's dynamic range and w/o understanding that compressed sound kills almost everything.
Take Eddu Grant's "Electric Avenue", especially from "Walking On Sunshine (The Very Best Of Eddy Grant)" and try to estimate it's range by ear w/o running a DR plugin and looking at number afterwards.
And confess here later which hp's in your collections you threw to garbage. If you can't hear the difference, do the same with your amp. Or just visit a doctor.

He..he..he... Be honest and believe me, I am not trolling or assaulting anyone.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #390 of 482
  To stop fight about Donald Fagen.

If you want older - check tracks by Toto. For example "Till the End"
Want more recent - many tracks of Thorbjørn Risager. Dunno, "Make it Real" or "Roll'em Pete" for example.

But beware, some makers like Sennheiser produce most of their cans (even costly ones) with veiled sound, so you would perceive only half of complexity of mentioned tracks.

deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back