The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment
Aug 29, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #481 of 482
Bringing this one back.

For the purity of the instruments and vocals, and natural soundstage and room ambience, the OneMic Series of recordings on YouTube are excellent. Most of them are original songs by independent artists (not mainstream popular music) and have been recorded relatively recently (within the last 6 years or so).

All of the recordings are captured with a Single Stereo Microphone in a Blumlein configuration, which presents a natural soundfield with absolutely no phase issues. The musicians "mix" their performance in terms of their individual levels and placement in the soundstage by their individual distance to the mic and their individual placement around the stereo microphone.

The Blumlein stereo microphone has two ribbon elements that are 90 degrees oppossed to each other and each ribbon picks up sound in a "figure-of-eight" polar pattern or "8", so there is a "front" and "back" stereo pickup pattern, and the musicians can be placed in the front or back side of the mic to effectively place them all in the FRONT Left to Right of the soundstage. To the sides of each ribbon element (at 90 degrees to each side) there is a complete cancellation null.

blumleinpairdiagram.gif

The only difference to the diagram above is that instead of using two individual mono figure-of-8 polar pattern microphones as shown above, BOTH of the separate 90° oppossed ribbon elements are contained within a single housing in the AEA R88 stereo ribbon microphone that is used for the first two recordings below.

No multitrack "mixing" can be done with these recordings. The levels and soundstage placement of each musician and vocalist are "burned into" the recording once it is captured and cannot be changed after the fact. So these minimalist 2-track recordings are then only Mastered with minimal EQ and dynamic processing where necessary.

You might want to wear headphones or IEMs/earbuds for your first listen. Here are just a few examples...

OneMic Series - The David Grisman Quintet - Bells Of Camoglia

OneMic Series - Ismay - The Lonely Stallion

OneMic Series - Elizabeth Mar - The Current

Check out all of the OneMic series for other gems you may like.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #482 of 482
Neat thread. I got a bunch of good tracks to test my audiophile headphones with from this thread. I figured I could contribute back, so I made an account.

I see a lot of different genres, but what about a vocal group!

I was listening to the Swingle Singers and my jaw wanted to hit the floor. The separation, the resolution in the vocals, the harmonies, etc. Perfect to test your audio equipment.

I recommend their songs Poor Wayfaring Stranger and The Diva Aria (the song from the movie "The Fifth Element"). I could recommend more of their tracks but that's a good introduction! Getting FLAC versions of those tracks might be tougher. I did find 320kbps MP3s, which sound better than free spotify. Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back