The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment
Sep 20, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #466 of 482
Chrome Sparks - Marijuana
-Really great electronic song to test the lower end

Nick Hakim - I Don't Know
-Impeccably recorded blues, to test the lower end. On the LCD series, the song feels lush and deep. On the HD800s it feels galactically open.

The Singers Unlimited - Killing Me Softly
-Each singer is individually mic'ed; just a lovely song. A great test of soundstage

Submotion Orchestra - Amira
-Instrumental uptempo electronic song. Not that well-recorded a track but it gets really busy at the end with so many layers that on most headphones it sounds muddy. This song is how I confirmed the HD-800s was a special kind of headphone, because everything was more separated than I was used to hearing.

Bayonne - Gift
-A good test of instrument separation. Sort of the same as the submotion song above. Bayonne is famous for one-man performances using looping systems. This one gradually adds more and more layers.

Bassment Jaxx & Metropele Orkest - Samba Magic
-Metropele Orkest need no introduction. This song tests stereo imaging, I imagine from the perspective of the center front row. The applause sounds behind and to side. It also happens to groove so hard.

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #467 of 482
Can your headphones play this hidden and continuous subbass rumble between the the bass hits?

Count On You C-thru remix : Autoerotique

Jun 3, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #468 of 482
Anybody have recommendations for female vocals in the same quality as Agnes Obel, Eva Cassidy?? Doesn’t necessarily need to be the same genre but just that airy quality to go with their amazing voice.

try Karrin Allyson - Outono(stay) lossless FLAC

also

Esperanza Spalding - Little Fly
Esperanza Spalding - Knowledge of Good & Evil

You can find 24bit versions of Esperanza Spalding
both tracks from her album "Chamber Music Society"

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #469 of 482
Hi
Decided to put some life into this old thread. My playlist is quite long, so look at it directly in my blog. Do not afraid of russian header, playlist is a playlist. There are only a couple of native musicians, but all these tracks serve the same purpose - HiFi testing. The only warning goes to heavy traffic, since ALL performers come with their photos/posters.
If you will have some relevant comments which are not suited to this thread, write them there. I speak russian, english, spanish so feel free to share your opinion :beerchug:

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #470 of 482
Hi
Decided to put some life into this old thread. My playlist is quite long, so look at it directly in my blog. Do not afraid of russian header, playlist is a playlist. There are only a couple of native musicians, but all these tracks serve the same purpose - HiFi testing. The only warning goes to heavy traffic, since ALL performers come with their photos/posters.
If you will have some relevant comments which are not suited to this thread, write them there. I speak russian, english, spanish so feel free to share your opinion :beerchug:
I like it 👍 nice tracks in there, would love a spotify or Tidal, link 🔗 would be super dooper.
And please 😂😂😂

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #471 of 482
My test tracks:

1. Stan's Blues (Live at Carnegie Hall) - Joao Gilberto, Stan Getz (One of the best live recordings ever. With a pair of good headphones, you should feel like you were right there at the Carnegie Hall)

2. I Will Remember - Toto (Drum in stereo)

3. Restless - Stavros Lantsias (The entire Diary of Dreams LP by this Greek composer/musician is incredible!)

4. Your Eyes - Tsai Ching (Female vocal)

5. Mammagamma - The Alan Parson Project (Bass)

6. Santo Domingo - Rodrigo y Gabriela (Fast attack)

7. Within - Daft Punk (Treble)

8. Alla gente a Dio diletta - Jakub Józef Orliński (Male vocal)

9. Poisson Rouge - Saint Privat (Instruments separation)

10. Rock It - Ofenbach (Electronic)

11. Chan Chan - Buena Vista Social Club (Soundstage)

12. Carrousel - Ottmar Liebert (Binaural Recording)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #473 of 482
I like to share with you some interesting songs - Nina Simone - I put a spell on you (vocal is perfectly centered , sax solo), Sarah Mclachlan - Angel (very clear vocal), Nickel Creek - Reasons why ( acoustic guitar, mandoline), Jennifer Warnes - Bird on a wire (drums, vocal, sax), Yello - Takla makan (interesting instruments and sounds), Johny Cash - Hurt (soundstage, guitars, piano), Natalie Merchant - Carnival (vocal), James Brown - Living in America (vocal, guitars and horns are perfectly mixed, clarity, multiple layers), Diana Krall - Girl in the other room(vocal, guitar, drums, piano), Peel me a grape (vocal, good mastering),Bob Marley - Turn your lights down low (space, soundstage)

May 1, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #475 of 482
I'm definitely also in the corner of Pink Floyd, John Coltraine, Stan Getz, Ike Quebec, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, and and and.

But I wanted to add something to the mix here that is a little more recent and where the artistry of the producers blew me away albeit it not being the music I usually listen to. The Soundstage and vocal tuning is outstanding on this one: Sam Smith - Love Goes: Live at Abbey Road Studios

Also on my more recently recorded test tracks: London Grammar - Californian Soil, Wayne Snow - Figurine and Jacob Collier - Djesse Vol. 2.

May 2, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #476 of 482
I'm definitely also in the corner of Pink Floyd, John Coltraine, Stan Getz, Ike Quebec, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, and and and.

But I wanted to add something to the mix here that is a little more recent and where the artistry of the producers blew me away albeit it not being the music I usually listen to. The Soundstage and vocal tuning is outstanding on this one: Sam Smith - Love Goes: Live at Abbey Road Studios

Also on my more recently recorded test tracks: London Grammar - Californian Soil, Wayne Snow - Figurine and Jacob Collier - Djesse Vol. 2.
Love those 3 artists you mentioned at the bottom there. I do wish Jacob Collier's song Hajanga was recorded/mastered with a little less laidback flavor

May 2, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #477 of 482
Love those 3 artists you mentioned at the bottom there. I do wish Jacob Collier's song Hajanga was recorded/mastered with a little less laidback flavor
Agreed, but his ears are amazing. And I mean not only his writing and sense for harmonies and perfect pitch... I believe he also mixes and produces his own stuff. Unbelievable. How about the Sam Smith Album, have you given that one a try?

May 2, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #478 of 482
thank you all for inspirational songs.

i would like to add:

Marian Herzog: No Sanctuary Here feat. Chris Jones.
640x640.jpg

Tidal link.

The punch and details are amazing on boh open and closed-back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back