The best Audiophile MP3 Player?
Nov 2, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #17 of 223
True. I guess I like the sound quality so much I am willing to overlook a major design flaw. However, I really have gotten used to the UI, and navigating around the player is now instinctual. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 223

Quote:
Is there an LOD for the Sflo2, If so where do i get one. Thanks in advance

You just use a mini cable.  No adapter needed.  Start comparing $$ between iMod and Sflo2 and its quite a stark contrast.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 223

Quote:
So I'm assuming theres 2 output sections ie. HPO & LO on the player 

Correct to above.  Also the Teclast models should have firmware 2.3 loaded on them.  Not sure if the Nationite models are up to 2.3 yet otherwise you need to manually install.  The Nationite player goes to 16gb thought, Teclast max is 8gb.  FW upgrading is iffy w/ some Macs apparently, not all.  Using the LO w/ an amp and setting HPO volume to min saves battery.  You can also manipulate the user EQ to adjust gain for the LO as a sort of volume control if you wish to go ampless.  

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 223
I have been leaning towards a whipmod, I'm so close to buying one but i still wanna do some reasearch before i spend the cheese. I have spent a ton in the last 3 weeks on Sm3, Pico Slim, Stepdance thats on the way and my Earsonics Em3 pro customs that are on thier way also. So I'm looking to get a great sounding player and if spending the money on an imod or whipmod is worth it than thats the route i will take but if the Sflo2 sounds just as good , well i will save a few bucks, well a lot of bucks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #25 of 223
The only person the i recall liking their DIYmod better than the Sflo2 was AverageJoe.  His was a more substantial and intensive mod though.  Not typical.  If you are a Mac user and Apple lover I prob would steer you to the iPod mods.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #26 of 223

I,m really good friends with Joe, i was gonna send him a 5.5g to do and still might go that route. Hes a busy person these days with his work schedule i feel like I'm bothering him even though he wouldnt mind at all. I'ts hard to find those 5.5g's , even eBay barely has any. I purchased a few cables from joe a while ago, and the quality is top notch. I spoke with him a few days ago about it and he told me to send him one but couldnt tell me the turn around time which i told him it doesnt matter how long it would take. I know his off time from work is very valuable being able to spend it with his kids and i feel somewhat like i'm infringeing on that time. Thats why i have been doing some research, but in the end i know that what i'm getting from him will be exactly what i'm looking for" SQ at its finest".
Quote:
The only person the i recall liking their DIYmod better than the Sflo2 was AverageJoe.  His was a more substantial and intensive mod though.  Not typical.  If you are a Mac user and Apple lover I prob would steer you to the iPod mods.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #27 of 223

Quote:
I,m really good friends with Joe, i was gonna send him a 5.5g to do and still might go that route. Hes a busy person these days with his work schedule i feel like I'm bothering him even though he wouldnt mind at all. I'ts hard to find those 5.5g's , even eBay barely has any. I purchased a few cables from joe a while ago, and the quality is top notch. I spoke with him a few days ago about it and he told me to send him one but couldnt tell me the turn around time which i told him it doesnt matter how long it would take. I know his off time from work is very valuable being able to spend it with his kids and i feel somewhat like i'm infringeing on that time. Thats why i have been doing some research, but in the end i know that what i'm getting from him will be exactly what i'm looking for" SQ at its finest".

I think you would be in good hands going that route.  I'd be hard pressed to turn down that offer.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 223
Is the User Interface (UI) on the S:flow2 that bad? If so, is it even worth considering?
What about sound quality; does it really meet the needs of a picky Audiophile?
Where do you place it on your list of MP3's, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. and why? 
Thanks, A1811

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 223
You know, it really depends on what you mean by 'picky' and what you mean by 'audiophile'. I find a lot of 'picky' people tend to let go the finer details of the listening experience and that many 'audiophiles' are just groupies who yearn for a new clique. 

The S:Flo is a GOOD player.

On the +++ side:
Low - moderate amount of hiss
Good output when driving low or high Ω earphones
Spacious sound
Great Line out

On the --- side:
No gapless support. (That is a big step back from OLD technology like CD and MD and newer tech like iPods.)
Low pass filter that dulls the high frequencies a bit (enough that I immediately commented on it with my DT880 and CK10).
If you have sensitive earphones, you can hear clicking noises when playing music at low volumes no matter the screen is off and has been off for a long time. 

The other stuff: bubbling sound when the screen is on are just annoying. GUI is a step back because it flaunts the screen, but there is no real reason to have a touchscreen input for this player, nor such a large screen. Teclast just played to the lowest common denominator by including a huge screen and touch input. It is a clumsy way to navigate this player no matter the firmware.
Quote:
Is the User Interface (UI) on the S:flow2 that bad? If so, is it even worth considering?
What about sound quality; does it really meet the needs of a picky Audiophile?
Where do you place it on your list of MP3's, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. and why? 
Thanks, A1811

Users who are viewing this thread

Back