The Basshead Club
Dec 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #8,446 of 11,286
M-Audio Q40 will give you what you are craving.

Yeah, ive heard a lot about the Q40's and have had them recommended, but are they really worth it or the best? I ask because according to the numbers, the Sony X10's should be better in terms of frequency range and a couple other things. Just google "sony mdr x10 vs m audio q40" and click on the first link to versus(dot)com, the Sony's have 29000 Hz     vs 20000 Hz, and 3 Hz vs 10 Hz, and more. No offense to your knowledge or recommendation, but i just want to make sure to get the best for my needs. I want deep and heavy bass that i can feel.
 ​

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #8,447 of 11,286
Yeah, ive heard a lot about the Q40's and have had them recommended, but are they really worth it or the best? I ask because according to the numbers, the Sony X10's should be better in terms of frequency range and a couple other things. Just google "sony mdr x10 vs m audio q40" and click on the first link to versus(dot)com, the Sony's have 29000 Hz     vs 20000 Hz, and 3 Hz vs 10 Hz, and more. No offense to your knowledge or recommendation, but i just want to make sure to get the best for my needs. I want deep and heavy bass that i can feel.
 ​

I haven't tried either, but i know that the q40's are very highly regarded and that i dont hear much about the x10's.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #8,448 of 11,286
I haven't tried either, but i know that the q40's are very highly regarded and that i dont hear much about the x10's.

I feel that might be because the X10's have been out for a little, like only months i think, while the Q40's have been out for like years and idk why, but i feel that audiophiles dont pay much attention to Sony, but thats probably wrong on my part.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #8,449 of 11,286
 ​

Don't read too much into specs.
The Q40s are excellent and with replacement pads such as the Beyers they can be very comfortable.
Almost no human can hear above 18000Hz (varies with age), so it doesn't matter if a headphone can produce sound up to 40000Hz in theory, you wont be able to "hear" it! The same with the low end. Sub-bass and bass tones are probably felt from 15Hz on which most of the basshead headphones do flawlessly. So don't read into specs, read user impressions, professional reviews and you'll probably do better. Once you get your feet wet with one of these quality offerings then you could probably buy more, make your own decisions and even compare your tastes with other head-fi'ers here so that you know which recommendations to follow.

I would personally suggest Monster N-Pulse over the M-Audio Q40 but both I regard as excellent purchases for the money!

Enjoy and welcome to head-fi!

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #8,450 of 11,286

Don't read too much into specs.
The Q40s are excellent and with replacement pads such as the Beyers they can be very comfortable.
Almost no human can hear above 18000Hz (varies with age), so it doesn't matter if a headphone can produce sound up to 40000Hz in theory, you wont be able to "hear" it! The same with the low end. Sub-bass and bass tones are probably felt from 15Hz on which most of the basshead headphones do flawlessly. So don't read into specs, read user impressions, professional reviews and you'll probably do better. Once you get your feet wet with one of these quality offerings then you could probably buy more, make your own decisions and even compare your tastes with other head-fi'ers here so that you know which recommendations to follow.

I would personally suggest Monster N-Pulse over the M-Audio Q40 but both I regard as excellent purchases for the money!

Enjoy and welcome to head-fi!

Thanks, sorry, but im like stuck in a specs mentality. I hope i can become more experienced and get deeper into this stuff and possibly call myself a true audiophile eventually 
beyersmile.png
 Guess i just have to dive into it and try all these flavors for myself. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on what develops with this whole thing. Probably try the Sony X10's in a day or two since i can try them at my local Best Buy and try them at home for a couple days and possibly return them if i dont like them.

Thanks.

EDIT: I also looked into those Monster N Pulse's and read your review, they seem to fit my needs and for a great price. Ill also see if i can try those out, and will forsure if i return the Sony X10's.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #8,451 of 11,286
Go for it! 
Audition as much headphones as you can and make some notes either written or mental.
There's nothing better than being the judge and trusting your ears. Not everyone likes the same signatures and/or intangibles each different headphone offers. :wink:

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #8,452 of 11,286
I've tried the Sony XB800/900 which should be pretty much the same as X10 minus extra accessories and no detachable cable and honestly they sound not that great, they have very strong bass though but nothing on this headphone is sounding very refined, it's somewhat muffled sounding. The Q40 sounds miles better to me. The biggest difference is in the mids, on Q40 they are nice, pretty thick up-front and clear. On the Sony's they are recessed and somewhat muffled. The highs also had an unnatural sound to it, sounded very digital somehow, on the Q40 they are more natural, somewhat on the soft side in stock unmodded form. I greatly prefer the modded stockpads for Q40 in order to lift up the highs just a tiny amount for further improved clarity.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #8,453 of 11,286
  I've tried the Sony XB800/900 which should be pretty much the same as X10 minus extra accessories and no detachable cable and honestly they sound not that great, they have very strong bass though but nothing on this headphone is sounding very refined, it's somewhat muffled sounding. The Q40 sounds miles better to me. The biggest difference is in the mids, on Q40 they are nice, pretty thick up-front and clear. On the Sony's they are recessed and somewhat muffled. The highs also had an unnatural sound to it, sounded very digital somehow, on the Q40 they are more natural, somewhat on the soft side in stock unmodded form. I greatly prefer the modded stockpads for Q40 in order to lift up the highs just a tiny amount for further improved clarity.

Oh my god, the muffled sound is exactly what i was trying to avoid, well ill just try them and return them if i dont like them, then try the Q40's next.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #8,454 of 11,286
Thanks, sorry, but im like stuck in a specs mentality. I hope i can become more experienced and get deeper into this stuff and possibly call myself a true audiophile eventually :beyersmile:  Guess i just have to dive into it and try all these flavors for myself. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on what develops with this whole thing. Probably try the Sony X10's in a day or two since i can try them at my local Best Buy and try them at home for a couple days and possibly return them if i dont like them.

Thanks.

EDIT: I also looked into those Monster N Pulse's and read your review, they seem to fit my needs and for a great price. Ill also see if i can try those out, and will forsure if i return the Sony X10's.

The specs on the site mean little to nothing, believe me. Go off of reviews... Head fi being the best place to get reviews. In personal experience, of course.

Edit: and when i say go off of reviews, go off of experienced reviews.

If the only headphone someone has to compare it to is a 30$ skullcandy then you simply cant trust the review... Dont go off of I LOVE IT OMG SO AWESOME BEST THERE IS, and dont go off of I HATED IT IT BROKE IN TWO DAYS AND I HAVE ANOTHER HEADPHONE THAT IS BETTER either.... Listen to reviews that sound as objective as possible.

And i know once u see a headphone that just seems 'perfect' it will be all you think about and in reviews you will discredit everything bad said about them.... Been there done that lol. (Xb500's... Fun but they didnt satisfy me at all... Went off of omg these are awesome reviews lol)

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #8,455 of 11,286
Go for it! 
Audition as much headphones as you can and make some notes either written or mental.
There's nothing better than being the judge and trusting your ears. Not everyone likes the same signatures and/or intangibles each different headphone offers. :wink:

THIS! +10

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #8,456 of 11,286
  I have been looking for maybe a week or two and this is driving me crazy. I desperately want a pair of headphones with awesome,deep bass, but clarity and no muffled sound in the mids and highs, just overall clarity and no muffled sound. I already tried the Sony MDR ZX300 and they were terrible, they had almost no bass, they hurt my ears badly, and the worst of all, they sounded horribly muffled like they had a dark veil over the sound, i hate that sound so much there is no way i could keep them, my Apple Earpods are literally much better in my opinion. 

So i want to see what you guys recommend i get for deep bass and great clarity among the entire sound spectrum, i am a basshead so deep, hard bass is a must, but clarity and no muffled sound/feeling is also just as important to me. I am going to get the Sony MDR X10's and hopefully they fulfill my needs, if i really hate them or not worth $100, ill return them, but then i dont know what else there is to get after that so i come here for help on that. I can only spend around $100, but i can spend a little more (~$150 tops) if thats the price range i have to be in to get such headphones i described. FYI, i listen to dubstep, so bass and sub bass is always used and mids, highs are used a lot too, thus i need deep bass and clear audio overall.

So any help, recommendations, and feedback is very greatly appreciated. Im new here and an entry audiophile, long time basshead. Thanks!
(Sorry for block of text)

TL;DR: Need headphones with great and deep bass (i am a basshead :p) but with clarity in mids and highs, no muffled sound, for dubstep with deep bass and sub bass and clear audio overall. Budget is $100, can go a little more. Thinking about trying Sony MDR X10 ($100). Recommendations, feedback?

Choices are limited for what you seek for $100, but you may want to audition the Monster N-Tune which is in your price range and may meet your needs.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #8,457 of 11,286
  Choices are limited for what you seek for $100, but you may want to audition the Monster N-Tune which is in your price range and may meet your needs.

I didn't like the N-Tune's as much as the N-Pulse but they are bassy as well.
For the $100 to $150 (new or used!!!) budget I would definitely seek (in that order):

Monster N-Pulse
M-Audio Q40s
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro80
Skullcandy Mix Master Mike (a bit uncomfortable)
Spider PowerForce (on ears)

P.S. I'm just listing headphones I have personally tried/bought, I'm sure there must be others like the Creative CALs (the originals cause there's a new version as well but I think it's more expensive), Denon HP700s which I've heard great things about but a bit uncomfy as well according to reviews, etc.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #8,459 of 11,286
  May have to give the N-Pulse a try. Can you compare it to Q40 in different aspects? :)

Overall signature for the Q40s is brighter (i.e. brighter upper-end and mids), the attack on the M-Audio's is also faster (probably perception due to the added air up-top). Mids are a bit more recessed on the N-Pulse's but I felt the bass to be bigger (mid-bass especially but sub-bass was tastefully present as well). I feel the N-Pulse's to be a bit more "ear-friendly" as sometimes the highs on the Q40s can be a bit much on some tracks to me. So basically the Monster's are a bit more laid-back due to their bit of warmness across the whole spectrum. Soundstage is actually quite on par but just like the Q40s on busy passages (especially when listening to metalcore or similar genres) it feels more closed in than usual. Comfort can go either way. I feel the Q40s clamped too much even when "stretching" the headband for a bit but with updated pads it felt better. The Monster's on the other hand don't clamp as much and earpads feel quite good.

So for the price I got both (let's say $120 for the Q40s with Beyer pads and $95 for the N-Pulse) they are a steal for any basshead looking for very good bass, slam and overall sound. I've seen the N-Pulse's go even lower used on eBay (and I don't think there are any fakes yet since these were released not too long ago and I don't think they are as famous as the Beats) and you can even get them cheaper on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009IKCKMY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I'd pick the Monsters just because I've been liking "warmer" signatures and find them comfortable and pleasant enough. Being cheaper "used" doesn't hurt either. :wink:

P.S. Impressions based on memory. I no longer have both on hand.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #8,460 of 11,286
OK, then I think the Monsters may get too warm sounding for me as my amp, the ZO2.1 is on the warm side of neutral smoothening out the highs of Q40 a bit, I actually make the Q40 slightly bit brighter with the padmod due to that. Also worries me on the Monsters a comment on amazon of a slight lower-mid range dip, that's a crucial part for me and basically why I didn't test M100 yet because I expect it to not be "thick" and up-front enough sounding in the mids due to the slight lower-mid range dip.

My preferred sound signature is non-laid back sound, maybe slightly aggressive side, more in-your-face but don't mistake this for bright sound, I just like up-front mids but not overemphasized treble range. Reasonably thick and up-front mids to go with a significantly boosted bass that has good balance between mid and subbass and roughly neutral highs balance. I feel Q40 do this best so far.

What I especially dislike with headphones is those who have a distant sound to it, I want to feel like I'm on the stage with the band and jamming, not that I'm listening to a concert in a relaxed position, it just doesn't engage me with music if so, I feel bored. I want the headphones to SCREAM at me, get me into dancemood and just get into the groove! xD The music I've grown to love is all about that, to bring out the dance mood. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back