The Basshead Club
Dec 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #8,431 of 11,286
Dec 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #8,433 of 11,286
Guys, help me out. How good is the shure srh1540 in terms of bass?
Forget Shure if you seek bass, you will be disappointed. Neutral, analytic for sure! But bassy? I fear not.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #8,434 of 11,286
Forget Shure if you seek bass, you will be disappointed. Neutral, analytic for sure! But bassy? I fear not.

Well the 1540 is said to be bassiest of the bunch, how bassy that makes it I don't know but for an audiophile it probably is quite bassy but for a basshead probably slightly below the wanted level. Dunno, Jude just said it's noticeable bass emphasis but it's of very good quality and "tastefully" done, whatever that means.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #8,435 of 11,286
  Guys, help me out. How good is the shure srh1540 in terms of bass?

They are "borderline" bass-head headphones to me.
Even though they TRIED to thrive for neutral sound the bass on these are definitely bumped, especially mid-bass (it does have good sub-bass though, but again, not basshead to me when compared to others). I enjoy them. If you are looking for V-shaped though, don't look at these. Although the bass is bumped, treble is not as "hot" as our usual basshead cans. It's a pleasant, non-offensive sounding headphone with increased bass. Think SRH840 but better built, better comfort and refined sound with a touch more sub-bass and tightness.

Which Shure's have you tried?

Well the 1540 is said to be bassiest of the bunch, how bassy that makes it I don't know but for an audiophile it probably is quite bassy but for a basshead probably slightly below the wanted level. Dunno, Jude just said it's noticeable bass emphasis but it's of very good quality and "tastefully" done, whatever that means.

And I definitely agree with his assessment. I think it was mentioned that it was a "safe" sound signature since upper-mids and highs are not "bumped" so it's not as "fun" as lets say, Q40s, Denon D5000s, Yamaha Pro 500s, N-Pulse, etc. but it fares better when these others don't... (clean articulated warm mids).

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #8,436 of 11,286

Well I'm leaning toward bass, so I might be more basshead than audiophile. Maybe that's why I did find that the cans I tried were cold and neutral. But it's true that you definitely hear the bass, and it can go low. You just don't "feel" it. Trying to put them in a category I'd say that they are in the bright area, so mids and highs are good. 

They are "borderline" bass-head headphones to me.
Even though they TRIED to thrive for neutral sound the bass on these are definitely bumped, especially mid-bass (it does have good sub-bass though, but again, not basshead to me when compared to others). I enjoy them. If you are looking for V-shaped though, don't look at these. Although the bass is bumped, treble is not as "hot" as our usual basshead cans. It's a pleasant, non-offensive sounding headphone with increased bass. Think SRH840 but better built, better comfort and refined sound with a touch more sub-bass and tightness.

Which Shure's have you tried?

And I definitely agree with his assessment. I think it was mentioned that it was a "safe" sound signature since upper-mids and highs are not "bumped" so it's not as "fun" as lets say, Q40s, Denon D5000s, Yamaha Pro 500s, N-Pulse, etc. but it fares better when these others don't... (clean articulated warm mids).

I might agree with you, you hear mid bass the most. Sub bass goes low. But you don't feel it, it is not like it will make even a little "Thump" in your senses. 

As I said I like bass so to me what I did test felt neutral. Even cold, you could say analytic with an underlined bass. But that's all I felt, and I wanted more. 

I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact references of the cans (you would ask me if I already tried a pair of 840 for example, I could answer "Yes"... but I have 840 pads on my Fostex actually, and not one of the Shure I could test had those pads, so I would be wrong in telling you "Yes").

But it is true, it is a kind of "safe" sound signature.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #8,437 of 11,286

But it is true, it is a kind of "safe" sound signature.

Indeed, the W1000x is voiced simmillary... but well wood. And I modded a good bit of that hump out of it, 
that said the W1000x like the 1540 are not bass head worthy headphones 

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #8,438 of 11,286
Indeed, the W1000x is voiced simmillary... but well wood. And I modded a good bit of that hump out of it, 
that said the W1000x like the 1540 are not bass head worthy headphones 
Wood for the win! :wink:

Ah, a bit off-topic (maybe not?), Yesterday I saw a sweet pair of Denon C301 IEM. Reviews and feedbacks here were so positive that I had to give it a try. I should receive them by Christmas I think.

How do you think it compares to Sony's XB600? Can I think of it as an upgrade or just a different sound signature?

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #8,439 of 11,286
Wood for the win!
wink.gif

Ah, a bit off-topic (maybe not?), Yesterday I saw a sweet pair of Denon C301 IEM. Reviews and feedbacks here were so positive that I had to give it a try. I should receive them by Christmas I think.

How do you think it compares to Sony's XB600? Can I think of it as an upgrade or just a different sound signature?

I think the C301s are the "updated" version of the C300. I don't think the C301s were released here? Where they?
Anyway, the C300 do provide BIG BIG bass and are definitely very fun. Usually use them when gaming on my Vita or when I want a change of pace from my Shure SE215s. Have never tried the XB600s, so can't say anything about those. But let us know when you get them! :p

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #8,440 of 11,286

I think the C301s are the "updated" version of the C300. I don't think the C301s were released here? Where they?
Anyway, the C300 do provide BIG BIG bass and are definitely very fun. Usually use them when gaming on my Vita or when I want a change of pace from my Shure SE215s. Have never tried the XB600s, so can't say anything about those. But let us know when you get them! :p

Ok, with pleasure :wink: 

I need them to come quickly! haha

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #8,442 of 11,286
I have been looking for maybe a week or two and this is driving me crazy. I desperately want a pair of headphones with awesome,deep bass, but clarity and no muffled sound in the mids and highs, just overall clarity and no muffled sound. I already tried the Sony MDR ZX300 and they were terrible, they had almost no bass, they hurt my ears badly, and the worst of all, they sounded horribly muffled like they had a dark veil over the sound, i hate that sound so much there is no way i could keep them, my Apple Earpods are literally much better in my opinion. 

So i want to see what you guys recommend i get for deep bass and great clarity among the entire sound spectrum, i am a basshead so deep, hard bass is a must, but clarity and no muffled sound/feeling is also just as important to me. I am going to get the Sony MDR X10's and hopefully they fulfill my needs, if i really hate them or not worth $100, ill return them, but then i dont know what else there is to get after that so i come here for help on that. I can only spend around $100, but i can spend a little more (~$150 tops) if thats the price range i have to be in to get such headphones i described. FYI, i listen to dubstep, so bass and sub bass is always used and mids, highs are used a lot too, thus i need deep bass and clear audio overall.

So any help, recommendations, and feedback is very greatly appreciated. Im new here and an entry audiophile, long time basshead. Thanks!
(Sorry for block of text)

TL;DR: Need headphones with great and deep bass (i am a basshead :p) but with clarity in mids and highs, no muffled sound, for dubstep with deep bass and sub bass and clear audio overall. Budget is $100, can go a little more. Thinking about trying Sony MDR X10 ($100). Recommendations, feedback?

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #8,443 of 11,286
I have been looking for maybe a week or two and this is driving me crazy. I desperately want a pair of headphones with awesome,deep bass, but clarity and no muffled sound in the mids and highs, just overall clarity and no muffled sound. I already tried the Sony MDR ZX300 and they were terrible, they had almost no bass, they hurt my ears badly, and the worst of all, they sounded horribly muffled like they had a dark veil over the sound, i hate that sound so much there is no way i could keep them, my Apple Earpods are literally much better in my opinion. 

So i want to see what you guys recommend i get for deep bass and great clarity among the entire sound spectrum, i am a basshead so deep, hard bass is a must, but clarity and no muffled sound/feeling is also just as important to me. I am going to get the Sony MDR X10's and hopefully they fulfill my needs, if i really hate them or not worth $100, ill return them, but then i dont know what else there is to get after that so i come here for help on that. I can only spend around $100, but i can spend a little more (~$150 tops) if thats the price range i have to be in to get such headphones i described. FYI, i listen to dubstep, so bass and sub bass is always used and mids, highs are used a lot too, thus i need deep bass and clear audio overall.

So any help, recommendations, and feedback is very greatly appreciated. Im new here and an entry audiophile, long time basshead. Thanks!

TL;DR: Need headphones with great and deep bass (i am a basshead :p) but with clarity in mids and highs, no muffled sound, for dubstep with deep bass and sub bass and clear audio overall. Budget is $100, can go a little more. Thinking about trying Sony MDR X10 ($100). Recommendations, feedback?

ATH PRO 700 MK2 without hesitation. Hard to find at a good price now, though.

You can also spend less money and look for UE4000, can be bought for 25$ (special retail). Excellent dynamic drivers for Dubstep and electro. Not a lot of bass quantity, but a punch quality :wink:

Just search for a Digizoid ZO if you don't have one, bassy headphones are hungry for this little amp!

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #8,444 of 11,286

M-Audio Q40 will give you what you are craving.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #8,445 of 11,286
Thanks, the 700 MK2 Pro's i can find a couple for like $130 on ebay from japan, which would be weird if theyre not made in Japan because they are all listed on ebay from Japan, have the same stock pictures and are around $180 mostly. Anyways, why would you recommend those exactly? The UE4000's have reviews with okay bass, but i want bass that i can feel, deep bass, what do you mean by punch quality? Lastly, the amp is way out of the question for me, its like $500, but its a nice looking little amp. Sorry for my noobiness
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back