The Basshead Club
Dec 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #961 of 11,286

Quote:
I've never tried them but I've read some good reviews.  I think the Monster series that include the turbines, coppers, golds and Miles series are suppose to be pretty good.  I hope you like them.  I think this hobby is more than half impulse buys.  

Yeah, I mean I know they're not going to be the best IEM ever with crystal clear reproduction and unparalleled high end sparkle AND have booming bass etc etc... but for a decent, relatively cheap second set of earphones, which will be used for Hip-Hop, Reggae, Electronica/downtempo/ambient music... these may well provide what I'm looking for.

And yes I think that sometimes you're just gonna have to buy stuff and see for yourself, obviously people can help when it comes to whether a set of headphones is good/bad, bassy/bass light, good quality cable, good fit and other such issues, but for actual subtle things, nuances and so on... ultimately, It's going to be down to you and your own ears as to whether you like them or not.

Like most, I think I'm going to regret signing up to this site and my wallet is going to suffer over the years.

But hey, I love music man.... It really is a big part of me so having great sounding music is obviously paramount.

Thanks again.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #962 of 11,286

Quote:
XB500 for metal sound right, but Electronic (DubStep is Electronic, lol) is better suited by the XB700, IMO. 

If you want a lot of impact in your EDM just get a Pro 900. Best impact headphone I've heard. 

My list would be...XB500 - Metal, XB700 - Electronic, DubStep, Hip Hop. Only reason being the 700 can feel a bit slow for metal. The best choice for metal would be something like the ProDJ100 (in the general price range. If stepping up the HD 25-1 II).

I meant to to say genre's like trance/dance/drum & bass. Those all have a lot of midbass and usually not a whole lot of subbass.

Since most of the electronic genres are midbass heavy, I generalized most of them to sound better with the xb500 due to its impact and having more midbass like you said. 

Dubstep is primarily subbass so thats the only electronic genre I could think that would have sounded better suited on the xb700's based on your description.

Does xb700's have any sibilance issues in the high end? Some rumored that it did. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #963 of 11,286

Quote:
Calling other peoples bands garbage is frowned upon

i will have to agree :/

I demand a remaster of the hybrid theory album :D
Quote:
Used to love Linkin Park until I got my Sennheiser HD595...  The mastering on all the albums is garbage.

i will still love that band regardless of poor mastering. I could listen to the old hybrid theory album on a tin can and still love every second. 

As for their new stuff...I'm not going to start a debate, but let's just say i probably wouldn't even enjoy it on the LCD-2's :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #964 of 11,286
DnB is all about Sub-bass. The kicks aren't, but all the basslines are loooooooooooow.

And I heard absolutely none with any of the XB series.
Quote:
I meant to to say genre's like trance/dance/drum & bass. Those all have a lot of midbass and usually not a whole lot of subbass.

Since most of the electronic genres are midbass heavy, I generalized most of them to sound better with the xb500 due to its impact and having more midbass like you said. 

Dubstep is primarily subbass so thats the only electronic genre I could think that would have sounded better suited on the xb700's based on your description.

Does xb700's have any sibilance issues in the high end? Some rumored that it did. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #965 of 11,286

Quote:
DnB is all about Sub-bass. The kicks aren't, but all the basslines are loooooooooooow.

And I heard absolutely none with any of the XB series.

I guess you think that since you listen to mostly mainstream dnb

i listen to a lot of amen breakage and classic dnb like LTJ bukem and goldie, and sub-bass is not hugely prominent in anything from the golden era

but yea, todays dnb definately has more sub-bass, but i would never venture to say its all about the sub-bass.

dnb has and always will be about the breaks and the melodies imho, the sub-bass is just a nice extra touch of warmth

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #967 of 11,286
I don't know about Golden Era. While a lot of EDM has been downhill for awhile, DnB just keeps getting excellent releases (mostly). Camo & Krooked, Netsky, Logistics, DJ Fresh, Noisia, Spor, etc.

Netsky's remixes get a little stale, but his original work is top notch. As for the rest...great stuff.

While they're different styles I don't think we can call one particular era 'the golden age'.

Listening to some Breakage now...

Quote:
I guess you think that since you listen to mostly mainstream dnb

i listen to a lot of amen breakage and classic dnb like LTJ bukem and goldie, and sub-bass is not hugely prominent in anything from the golden era

but yea, todays dnb definately has more sub-bass, but i would never venture to say its all about the sub-bass.

dnb has and always will be about the breaks and the melodies imho, the sub-bass is just a nice extra touch of warmth

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #968 of 11,286

Quote:
I don't know about Golden Era. While a lot of EDM has been downhill for awhile, DnB just keeps getting excellent releases (mostly). Camo & Krooked, Netsky, Logistics, DJ Fresh, Noisia, Spor, etc.

Netsky's remixes get a little stale, but his original work is top notch. As for the rest...great stuff.

While they're different styles I don't think we can call one particular era 'the golden age'.

hehe well thats all subjective, just like sound signature is

ive noticed though that most people who were listeners from that era think of it as its own genre really, since liquid and neurofunk dnb are so much different

the more common name for older stuff was "jungle" or just "breaks" whereas newer stuff is usually generalized as dnb, with hostpital records bringing limelight to liquid or "happy hardcore" dnb and uprising records bringing attention to darker dnb or "neurofunk"

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #969 of 11,286
I do miss that good ol' Jungle sound sometimes...

Shy FX comes to mind when I hear Jungle, but they've never been a particular favorite.

Quote:
hehe well thats all subjective, just like sound signature is

ive noticed though that most people who were listeners from that era think of it as its own genre really, since liquid and neurofunk dnb are so much different

the more common name for older stuff was "jungle" or just "breaks" whereas newer stuff is usually generalized as dnb, with hostpital records bringing limelight to liquid or "happy hardcore" dnb and uprising records bringing attention to darker dnb or "neurofunk"

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #970 of 11,286

Quote:

Quote:
I do miss that good ol' Jungle sound sometimes...

Shy FX comes to mind when I hear Jungle, but they've never been a particular favorite.

dj crystl, bukem, old school blame, bungle, nookie, bad company, havoc, PFM come to mind

i like mostly atmospheric dnb so that kind biases my music list

i was never really into reggae influenced dnb which is why i was never a fan of shy fx

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #971 of 11,286

Quote:

I demand a remaster of the hybrid theory album :D

i will still love that band regardless of poor mastering. I could listen to the old hybrid theory album on a tin can and still love every second. 

As for their new stuff...I'm not going to start a debate, but let's just say i probably wouldn't even enjoy it on the LCD-2's :frowning2:

Yeah me too :) it just sounds soo far away. thin like :frowning2: it just doesn't play well on my equpment. and yeah,i still love it to heck :) Minutes to Midnight...I have hte Vinyl version(stupid uploader) all that hissing and pops....just makes it even worse on my equipment(plus i can;t play it on my ipod or else it starts clipping;my E5 broke) 

...a thousand suns...yeah.. other than catalyst and waiting for the end..and maybe iridescent......yeah....i heard it was just a concept albumb though

other specific songs that needy of re mastering
The last night by Skillet. the beginning is really low quality and has a lot of noise
Lies of the Beautiful People by Sixx AM....no need to explain why i included this one....,

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #972 of 11,286
Speaking of Goldie... Metalheadz releases were mostly sub bass heavy. And I'm a fan of much earlier stuff, but even the famed Origin Unknown - Valley of the Shadows from '93 has a lot of sub bass. As for pioneers I am not that well versed but stuff from the late 90's and on with Dylan, Loxy, B-key, Tech Itch, Alaska/Paradox, Digital... and the list goes on... pretty much shaped the sound of dnb, prior to that I would consider "jungle" all were very sub bassy. As for now a days, I can't listen to most of the stuff, ever since Limewax took it up a notch and surprised everyone with his talent at such a young age, I feel like others have been trying to "out do" him, and basically it just turns to noise at that point. I feel the same about dubstep, with acts like Skrillex, who basically mimic what others such as Skream, Distance, Mala or even Goth Trad have accomplished in shaping the sound of today's dubstep. The reason I mention Skrillex is because his name sticks out like a sore thumb, and gets mentioned every time when dubstep arises as a topic, and I don't think I have heard a worse producer yet.
Of course all my opinion and feel free to disagree
:rolleyes:

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #973 of 11,286

Quote:
Speaking of Goldie... Metalheadz releases were mostly sub bass heavy. And I'm a fan of much earlier stuff, but even the famed Origin Unknown - Valley of the Shadows from '93 has a lot of sub bass. As for pioneers I am not that well versed but stuff from the late 90's and on with Dylan, Loxy, B-key, Tech Itch, Alaska/Paradox, Digital... and the list goes on... pretty much shaped the sound of dnb, prior to that I would consider "jungle" all were very sub bassy. As for now a days, I can't listen to most of the stuff, ever since Limewax took it up a notch and surprised everyone with his talent at such a young age, I feel like others have been trying to "out do" him, and basically it just turns to noise at that point. I feel the same about dubstep, with acts like Skrillex, who basically mimic what others such as Skream, Distance, Mala or even Goth Trad have accomplished in shaping the sound of today's dubstep. The reason I mention Skrillex is because his name sticks out like a sore thumb, and gets mentioned every time when dubstep arises as a topic, and I don't think I have heard a worse producer yet.
Of course all my opinion and feel free to disagree
rolleyes.gif

well dnb has always incorporated mid and sub-bass together which is whats so nice about it, but like i said, ive always been into atmospheric stuff and not the dirty rollers or rinse outs (aside from concord dawn, because damn they were good :) ) and atmospheric stuff generally has a lot less sub-bass, but not always

I've always paid more attention to the melodies and the breakage in dnb (being a percussionist) which is why I have a harder time noticing the sub-bass, albiet knowing that its present in some songs

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #974 of 11,286
Makes sense. But back to the original argument/conversation: does the XB series really fail to portray what sub bass/mid bass oriented music has to offer?
I am curious as I was interested in picking up the XB1000, partially because the sheer size of them is ridiculous, and mainly want to experience what a 70mm driver can do.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #975 of 11,286

Quote:
Makes sense. But back to the original argument/conversation: does the XB series really fail to portray what sub bass/mid bass oriented music has to offer?
I am curious as I was interested in picking up the XB1000, partially because the sheer size of them is ridiculous, and mainly want to experience what a 70mm driver can do.

I can't remember what it was that lead me off of the XB1000's, since I myself was curious what the top of the line XB would be like, but I've heard mixed things.

I do know that the bass was toned down a bit, which could be a con to bass-heads, but I think I would definately like something more like that, but thats just me. 

Considering its an XB, im sure theres still gonna be more bass than you even know what to do with anyway.

I heard that the highs were also improved and the dynamics and spaciousness were improved over the XB700, however ive never heard the xb700's so i wouldn't be able to see how well they were actually improved. 

I already know for a fact that the XB 500 does not disappoint in the bass area, but it was where it was improved in terms of comparison to the XB700 for certain types of music is what I originally asked. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back