The Basshead Club
Sep 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #7,486 of 11,286

SOLD. Done deal. 

Did you find them to be sibilant? I love the mid/highs on my D5000. I've heard people complain about painful sibilance with the HE400, and others say that there is none..

The biggest issue is that varies from person to person, I have heard that the shape of your ear cannals has a BIG impact on hour treble sounds to you, as some ppls ears creat a resonnace with high treble that results in discomfort and un pleasureable lsitening

I apperently don't have that issue [as I'm a happy BRIGHT CAN owner... I mean seriously ALL of my cans are bright :O the HE 400 sounds like it shall fit in!

Now the issue here White Lotus is we are both in the market for an HE 400 -.- there is one buyer selling one Oh wait U can buy one new for $320... I still want to buy a pair used with J$Money Pads [which I found a seller for] Still my Seller is slighty undecided atm... hopefully tommorow I can grab em >.> 

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #7,488 of 11,286

Where?

Check the He 400 thread some one found a Deal at with a Promo Code RazorDOg? Still check the HE 400 thread and I'd hurry if I was u :3 

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #7,489 of 11,286

SOLD. Done deal. 

Did you find them to be sibilant? I love the mid/highs on my D5000. I've heard people complain about painful sibilance with the HE400, and others say that there is none..

I'd say there is a touch of sibilance, especially on poorer recordings, but nothing major. Less sibilant than my DT990. There is a spike around 9KHz that I EQ down by 3 Db, and I don't find them painful at all after EQing. I can easily watch movies all the way through with no fatigue (this is in VLC where I don't EQ, but also don't use as much volume as for music). I also think that they portray the attack, the leading edge, of notes very distinctly, which could maybe be mistaken for sibilance. 

Every headphone I've ever heard has sibilance to at least some degree, and I think a lot of it comes down to personal hearing differences, as well as equipment. I'm using a tube amp (Little Dot Mk3), and I can definitely make them more sibilant by rolling some bright tubes. I can also put in some smooth and warm tubes like my Mullards and then there is barely any sibilance. 

The midrange is very nice IMO. It is a tiny bit recessed because the HE-400 have a (fairly refined) V signature, but it has a lot of weight and texture. It blends smoothly with the midbass and gives a very satisfying sense of crunch on guitars and synths. The transition from midrange to treble isn't quite as smooth, but good enough for me since I listen to electronic music mainly. 

Also, something else that I dig about the HE-400 is the imaging. The soundstage is large enough, nothing spectacular, but the imaging is top notch. Sounds are layered very clearly and images are focused and sharp. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #7,490 of 11,286

I'd say there is a touch of sibilance, especially on poorer recordings, but nothing major. Less sibilant than my DT990. There is a spike around 9KHz that I EQ down by 3 Db, and I don't find them painful at all after EQing. I can easily watch movies all the way through with no fatigue (this is in VLC where I don't EQ, but also don't use as much volume as for music). I also think that they portray the attack, the leading edge, of notes very distinctly, which could maybe be mistaken for sibilance. 

Every headphone I've ever heard has sibilance to at least some degree, and I think a lot of it comes down to personal hearing differences, as well as equipment. I'm using a tube amp (Little Dot Mk3), and I can definitely make them more sibilant by rolling some bright tubes. I can also put in some smooth and warm tubes like my Mullards and then there is barely any sibilance. 

The midrange is very nice IMO. It is a tiny bit recessed because the HE-400 have a (fairly refined) V signature, but it has a lot of weight and texture. It blends smoothly with the midbass and gives a very satisfying sense of crunch on guitars and synths. The transition from midrange to treble isn't quite as smooth, but good enough for me since I listen to electronic music mainly. 

Also, something else that I dig about the HE-400 is the imaging. The soundstage is large enough, nothing spectacular, but the imaging is top notch. Sounds are layered very clearly and images are focused and sharp. 

You know what I really wonder is how the HE 400 does with classical... the DT 990 is still my favorite for classical! It's SO wide and the treble is imo wonderful! Now the Mid Bass hump... is nice, while the dt 880 does not lack bass it lacks sound stage width and instrument seperation, it's not congested by any means, but the FULLY open back DT 990 is a little airy and I enjoy that. In addition the ATH AD900x has that air, but it's bass is a little... too lean so... again I wonder how an HE 400 will do with classical, as I do like my Dt 990 with classical very much! I would think that IF it can have a crunch to guitars [something the DT 880 does but the 990 does not] it SHOULD be ok... but we will see 

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #7,491 of 11,286
  You know what I really wonder is how the HE 400 does with classical... the DT 990 is still my favorite for classical! It's SO wide and the treble is imo wonderful! Now the Mid Bass hump... is nice, while the dt 880 does not lack bass it lacks sound stage width and instrument seperation, it's not congested by any means, but the FULLY open back DT 990 is a little airy and I enjoy that. In addition the ATH AD900x has that air, but it's bass is a little... too lean so... again I wonder how an HE 400 will do with classical, as I do like my Dt 990 with classical very much! I would think that IF it can have a crunch to guitars [something the DT 880 does but the 990 does not] it SHOULD be ok... but we will see 

I'm not a big classical guy, but after listening to some of the tracks on Chesky's binaural sampler, I can make a few observations. The soundstage isn't as large as the best. It doesn't have quite the grand, airy feeling of my Q701. However, the precise imaging really shines with this kind of music. There is a good sense of how the different instruments are located relative to each other. Hearing the different sections of choir in relation to each other is very nice. Pipe organ bass is reproduced excellently, with force and a sense of pressure. Strings have a very rich texture. All in all, the soundstage is adequate for classical, not as big as I would like, but the precise imaging creates a satisfying sense of space. The sense of air is not as good as it could be, but the textures of different instruments, especially ones that include the lower frequency ranges, are rich and palpable. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #7,492 of 11,286

I'm not a big classical guy, but after listening to some of the tracks on Chesky's binaural sampler, I can make a few observations. The soundstage isn't as large as the best. It doesn't have quite the grand, airy feeling of my Q701. However, the precise imaging really shines with this kind of music. There is a good sense of how the different instruments are located relative to each other. Hearing the different sections of choir in relation to each other is very nice. Pipe organ bass is reproduced excellently, with force and a sense of pressure. Strings have a very rich texture. All in all, the soundstage is adequate for classical, not as big as I would like, but the precise imaging creates a satisfying sense of space. The sense of air is not as good as it could be, but the textures of different instruments, especially ones that include the lower frequency ranges, are rich and palpable. 

Good to hear, chances are I will balance the HE 400 to improve the sound stage and maybe add some air... I might enjoy the DT 880 more for classical once I hear it out of my Audio GD 10ES2 [my dt 880 is balanced] so it might not b an issue 

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #7,494 of 11,286
Sep 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #7,495 of 11,286
SOLD. Done deal. 

They are not bass head cans as far as quantity, but the quality is amazing. They do sub bass dead flat down to about 30hz, again the quantity isn't bass head but you'll never miss a note. There's zero bleed into the mid region and there's something "tactile" about the bass presentation which is stunning

I'm one of those that finds no sibilance at all. The mids are slightly recessed but the overall detail throughout the FR is awesome.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #7,496 of 11,286
They are not bass head cans as far as quantity, but the quality is amazing. They do sub bass dead flat down to about 30hz, again the quantity isn't bass head but you'll never miss a note. There's zero bleed into the mid region and there's something "tactile" about the bass presentation which is stunning

I'm one of those that finds no sibilance at all. The mids are slightly recessed but the overall detail throughout the FR is awesome.

I found the K550 to have some killer bass, and honestly my DT 990 MID bass hump get's old after a while. It lacks the tactility of SUB bass, I think a linear bass at around +5 or so will be EPIC [hence is why I got the HE 400] 

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #7,497 of 11,286
Bought these today just for hearing protection. They are cheap as chips, so I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised by them. I'm electing that they be a member of the basshead club.

The Shure SE215.

Anyone else have thoughts on these?

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #7,498 of 11,286
Isn
Bought these today just for hearing protection. They are cheap as chips, so I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised by them. I'm electing that they be a member of the basshead club.

The Shure SE215.

Anyone else have thoughts on these?

Aren't they already on the list? I'm not sure about the 215s but I got their bigger brothers the 846s and paired with the Alo National, oh boy do they thump (but the rumble is somewhat restrained though)-- with the treble filter so bass will increase with a filter change.

I have tried the 535s briefly and it isn't exactly a basshead 'phone. R u sure they r cheap as chips? Cost SGD199 here (~US160). I think chips should not cost dat much!

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #7,499 of 11,286
Isn
Aren't they already on the list? I'm not sure about the 215s but I got their bigger brothers the 846s and paired with the Alo National, oh boy do they thump (but the rumble is somewhat restrained though)-- with the treble filter so bass will increase with a filter change.

I have tried the 535s briefly and it isn't exactly a basshead 'phone. R u sure they r cheap as chips? Cost SGD199 here (~US160). I think chips should not cost dat much!

Speaking of Shure, can anyone rate the SE846 as basshead IEMs?

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #7,500 of 11,286
I don't particularly find the SE215 super bassy compared to the Denon C300s, but they are alright I guess (and cheap), but for bass bass bass, the Denon's at similar prices ($130 or less) kick Shure's butt in the bass department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back