The Basshead Club
Sep 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #7,471 of 11,286

I would like to know that too :D

... me to :O

that said i really want a d7k and I want it SOOON, because its gonna get EXPENSIVE soon >.>

also going with a HE 400 for my new EDM can

The Fostex TH-600s are another option and being the OEM for Denon, chances are Fostex would do a better job now than they did for Denon. Makes sense doesn't it?

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #7,472 of 11,286
The Fostex TH-600s are another option and being the OEM for Denon, chances are Fostex would do a better job now than they did for Denon. Makes sense doesn't it?

Oh it does, and I knew that about Dennons, still the D7k seems like a smart choice assuming part of thier appeal is the wood closed back, is the TH 600 wooden as well? If not it won't have quite the mids tone or natrual ness in the bass that a wooden back has 

STILL with wood comes a tendancy to have a tad to much decay which can loose a touch of tightness

that and wow... Watching In good Company... great movie, real;y enjoying it, and imo it had the best sex scene ever! intimate romantic and uhh completly without vulgarity or nudeity it was... like WOODEN BASS just tactful, intimate and nice clarity but not vulgar or overly forward

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #7,474 of 11,286

Oh it does, and I knew that about Dennons, still the D7k seems like a smart choice assuming part of thier appeal is the wood closed back, is the TH 600 wooden as well? If not it won't have quite the mids tone or natrual ness in the bass that a wooden back has 

Well, no, it's not. At least, based on this:
 No, the TH600 doesn't have the stunning urushi lacquer over birch wood earcups. It does, however, have more understated matte black die-cast magnesium earcups that are still gorgeous, and might actually be preferred by those who are partial to a more subdued aesthetic. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #7,475 of 11,286

STILL with wood comes a tendancy to have a tad to much decay which can loose a touch of tightness

that and wow... Watching In good Company... great movie, real;y enjoying it, and imo it had the best sex scene ever! intimate romantic and uhh completly without vulgarity or nudeity it was... like WOODEN BASS just tactful, intimate and nice clarity but not vulgar or overly forward

The TH600 cup is not wood. However, side by side with my D7000's, sound was almost like a clone. I don't have the elusive golden ears either so the wood may sound better to some, I am getting COCOBOLO wood cups put on my D2000's as I write this so will have an opinion vs plastic cups soon.

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #7,479 of 11,286
  I'm a little unsure. Even if they are very similar (I have no idea) I would personally be drawn to the "more uncommon" unit with mahogany cups. But of course, that's personal preference. 

EDIT: started a thread about it. http://www.head-fi.org/t/681979/denon-dxxxx-price-going-up-or-down

Dang it don't stir the pot you KNOW it's going to go up, it's a WOODIE but I read over the thread, and depending on the cirumstance [ie how many D7 or d5ks where on the market] I would sell mine for more than what I paid, it's supply and demand. I'm not going to gauge some one that's just mean but seeing as I don't really need a D7k [going with HE 400 for SUB BASS at home] I'd like to have one as a Just in case can, something to retain montary value in case in teh future I need some emergancy funds! Or as a trade peice you know, it has value beside cash and I feel it would be worth while to have for it's value and potential to sell fast [in case my car breaks down OR I find a can I HAVE to try xD] 

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #7,482 of 11,286
Hmm. Your comments may have just avoided me pulling the trigger.

Are they fairly flat across the sub and mid bass? I feel that a lot of "bass" headphones just put a hump in the midbass - I hate this. I love sub-bass.

EDIT: How would one compare them to Beyer DT770 or the Denon D5000?  Both are great cans, and have a great sound signature, but (IMHO) have stronger mid-bass than sub-bass.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #7,483 of 11,286
  Hmm. Your comments may have just avoided me pulling the trigger.

Are they fairly flat across the sub and mid bass? I feel that a lot of "bass" headphones just put a hump in the midbass - I hate this. I love sub-bass.

EDIT: How would one compare them to Beyer DT770 or the Denon D5000?  Both are great cans, and have a great sound signature, but (IMHO) have stronger mid-bass than sub-bass.

I haven't heard DT770, but I've owned DT990. FWIW, HE-400 has less midbass hump than DT990, and its midbass is tighter and faster with better impact on the leading edge and more control. The HE-400 definitely has more subbass than the DT990, and it responds to EQ very well with no distortion so you can pretty much add as much subbass as you want. I'd say midbass and subbass are more or less balanced in the HE-400. Maybe a little bit more midbass, but it really depends on what you're listening to. The quality of the HE-400s bass that I enjoy the most is its speed and control. It is very textured, it can hit hard and deep, and it is tight. Almost like what I would expect the bass on my Q701 to be like if it could do serious impact. 

That said, in absolute basshead terms, by $20 Nuforce IEMS "overwhelm" me with bass more than the HE-400. But it's ****ty bloated bass that doesn't go as deep. 

I don't know if tight bass can be true basshead bass... I guess it's a matter of preference. I'd call the HE-400 "audiophile basshead" maybe. If that sounds like an oxymoron, maybe they aren't for you. IDK what your preferences are. I'm happy with them though. One interesting thing is that they've separated my music collection into "actually has good bass" vs "doesn't have enough bass" in terms of recording quality more than the DT990 did. There are songs that I thought had good bass that now sound like they don't extend low enough, and there are songs that have better bass than I realized before. 

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #7,484 of 11,286
  That said, in absolute basshead terms, by $20 Nuforce IEMS "overwhelm" me with bass more than the HE-400. But it's ****ty bloated bass that doesn't go as deep. 

I don't know if tight bass can be true basshead bass... I guess it's a matter of preference. I'd call the HE-400 "audiophile basshead" maybe. If that sounds like an oxymoron, maybe they aren't for you. IDK what your preferences are. I'm happy with them though. One interesting thing is that they've separated my music collection into "actually has good bass" vs "doesn't have enough bass" in terms of recording quality more than the DT990 did. There are songs that I thought had good bass that now sound like they don't extend low enough, and there are songs that have better bass than I realized before. 

Actually I'm selling my DT 990 and getting an HE 400 for that reason, it's got about LInear +4/5 db of bass from 30hrz to like 300+ or so, either way I prefer LInear bass to a hump any day as it's tighter always and hits harder and faster 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back