The Basshead Club
Sep 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #7,444 of 11,286
A pair of r2.2 just sold on eBay (au) for $750, with 1 bid. You can get them used at reasonable prices these days, and they won't depreciate much further if you decide they are not for you.

Not sure if they garner cred here in basshead club, as I haven't participated here until recently. They are not generally considered 'basshead' phones, but I'm sure most bassheads would appreciate what they offer. The bass is phenomenal, as are the mids, and the treble is nice and smooth. Oh, and the smell:)

LCD-2 has redefined my understanding of bass. Deep and warm, clean but textured, fast and controlled bass, that is nicely balanced within the spectrum.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #7,447 of 11,286
  How do you guys feel about the HE 400 for bass. I hear it's got an EPIC sub bass. Which I really want! 

I can't compare to Audeze, but the bass on the HE-400 simply demolished both the Q701 and DT990 that I've had experience with. It's better in every way, more extended, more body, more impact, faster, cleaner, etc. The subbass is very solid. I can EQ 20Hz up as far as it goes in Foobar with no noticeable distortion, at reasonable volumes anyway. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #7,448 of 11,286

I can't compare to Audeze, but the bass on the HE-400 simply demolished both the Q701 and DT990 that I've had experience with. It's better in every way, more extended, more body, more impact, faster, cleaner, etc. The subbass is very solid. I can EQ 20Hz up as far as it goes in Foobar with no noticeable distortion.  

I own the Dt 990 and I agree it's got some SICK bass, but it lacks in Sub Bass... I could eq some in but who the hell eq's 20 bass -.- are you damned mad with that much bass your going to lose the mids... heck the +6 db boost of the c5 was to much bass for me! 

Still I might not get em... need to save money any how [money to use to buy ANOTHER C5 >.>] 

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #7,449 of 11,286

I own the Dt 990 and I agree it's got some SICK bass, but it lacks in Sub Bass... I could eq some in but who the hell eq's 20 bass -.- are you damned mad with that much bass your going to lose the mids... heck the +6 db boost of the c5 was to much bass for me! 

Still I might not get em... need to save money any how [money to use to buy ANOTHER C5 >.>] 

Oh, I would never EQ 20Hz up all the way for regular listening. That would be madness
basshead.gif
. It sounds terrible, since matching that level with preamp makes everything else super quiet. I just tried it a few times to see what would happen. For regular listening I usually have 20Hz at +2 Db. 

If you like DT-990 though, you'd probably like the HE-400. It's kind of like an improved 990 -- slight v shaped response, similar soundstage. The imaging is much more precise though. The bass is similar in that the mid bass on the HE-400 is very powerful, but it's faster and more resolved and just objectively better. The HE-400 definitely have more sub bass than the 990. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #7,450 of 11,286
So just to sum up, correct me if I'm wrong guys, here's the current champions for basshead cans (based on views I have read over the past 8 months).

Super Budget Champ: Koss Porta Pros
Budget Champ: M-Audio Q40s
Mid-Range Champ (Portable): V-Moda M100
Mid-Range Champ (Home): Denon D2ks
Upper Mid-Range Champ (Home):
Denon D5ks

Summit-Fi Champ (Portable):
Ultrasone Signature DJ

Summit-Fi Champ (Home):
Fostex TH-600/900 or Audeze LCD-2/3
(Depends on Preferences)

Anybody who wish to chime in, I will edit the list.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #7,451 of 11,286

Oh, I would never EQ 20Hz up all the way for regular listening. That would be madness
basshead.gif
. It sounds terrible, since matching that level with preamp makes everything else super quiet. I just tried it a few times to see what would happen. For regular listening I usually have 20Hz at +2 Db. 

If you like DT-990 though, you'd probably like the HE-400. It's kind of like an improved 990 -- slight v shaped response, similar soundstage. The imaging is much more precise though. The bass is similar in that the mid bass on the HE-400 is very powerful, but it's faster and more resolved and just objectively better. The HE-400 definitely have more sub bass than the 990. 

I read your first statement wrong.

Anyways will do, and yea I got the feeling it was an upgrade! Now to get some money to buy one >.> 

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #7,452 of 11,286
EQ'ing 20Hz all the way up wouldn't mask the mids and highs through. It's low enough not to get in the way. It's when you boost anything above 160Hz that it sounds terrible. I prefer any bass emphasis to stay below 80Hz. I can't stand boominess or thick mids.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #7,453 of 11,286
EQ'ing 20Hz all the way up wouldn't mask the mids and highs through. It's low enough not to get in the way. It's when you boost anything above 160Hz that it sounds terrible. I prefer any bass emphasis to stay below 80Hz. I can't stand boominess or thick mids.

It doesn't "mask" the mids and highs, but if I put +12 db at 20 Hz and then adjust the preamp to -12 Db to prevent clipping, the mids and highs become very quiet. Turning up the volume enough to bring the mids and highs to a normal level makes that boosted bass too loud. Which is why I don't do this for regular listening, just to see if I could. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #7,454 of 11,286

It doesn't "mask" the mids and highs, but if I put +12 db at 20 Hz and then adjust the preamp to -12 Db to prevent clipping, the mids and highs become very quiet. Turning up the volume enough to bring the mids and highs to a normal level makes that boosted bass too loud. Which is why I don't do this for regular listening, just to see if I could. 

Yeap, and while I don't mind using eq for EDM I prefer to use as little as needed. still I'm not an eq fan. a +3 80 hrz bump with +2 +1 curve in stock foo bar [and the ofc the EQ dwn ] is more than enough for me 

also I may have 2 sellers for the He 400 :D so the question for the most Dt 990 quality, what pads to use :O [screw pleather that stuff feels yuky] I got a jMoney Seller, or I can grab some Azuede leathers [I hear some mixed feed back on the Alpha pads] 

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #7,455 of 11,286
So just to sum up, correct me if I'm wrong guys, here's the current champions for basshead cans (based on views I have read over the past 8 months).

Super Budget Champ: Koss Porta Pros
Budget Champ: M-Audio Q40s
Mid-Range Champ (Portable): V-Moda M100
Mid-Range Champ (Home): Denon D2ks
Upper Mid-Range Champ (Home):
Denon D5ks

Summit-Fi Champ (Portable):
Ultrasone Signature DJ

Summit-Fi Champ (Home):
Fostex TH-600/900 or Audeze LCD-2/3
(Depends on Preferences)

Anybody who wish to chime in, I will edit the list.

Your list is ok, but I have no problem using the Signature DJ at home too.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back