The Basshead Club
Sep 13, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7,426 of 11,286
I also went from using my e11 on eq 1 with the xb500 to using the the e11 with the eq on 0 with my M-100. When it comes to headphones quality is always better than quantity IMO. Bass quantity is a lot more fun when it's hitting your whole body and not just your ears.

exactly 

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #7,427 of 11,286
What? Another dicussion on bass quantity vs quality?
biggrin.gif

For me, I really love loads of bass. It's been like this for quite a while now. Still, there are times when you appreciate having less bass and more clarity, less mid-range bleed, less "thump thump woof woof". I think in the end, unless you have found that one dream headphone of yours, it is nice to maintain a collection of various types of cans. Some of my basshead cans have loads of bass, but others really border on the "basshead" definition.

For example, a headphone like the XB500 and Crossfade LP are really good for days when you want just BASS. Amp it with EQ or an E11 for a great head massage experience. For other time, a can like the PRO700MK2 or HFI 580 would suffice - ample bass quantity without forgetting about the rest of the sound spectrum.

I like choice, so I usually pick a headphone based on my sound preference for the day/time. My bag has at least 3 headphones/IEMs at any one time.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #7,428 of 11,286
Same here, Infected Mushroom just doesn't quite sound the same out of the Little Dot MK IV into the DT880 Pro's... But plug the HFI-780's or the EFi-82 MT's into the E17 with Bass +4 and the thump is there with some authority. One of these days I am going to have to pick up a used pair of XB700's to get some eye ball rattle happening. :D

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #7,432 of 11,286
I find a lot of headphones (Both IEMs and full size) often can deliver plenty of mid bass, but not as much sub bass. The D5000 is a little guilty of this, as is the Westone 3.

Is Planar Magnetic the answer to equal bass response in both respects? If not, what is?

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #7,434 of 11,286
Shameless plug. Trying to move a little double amped basshead goodness that I will give you guys a deal on. I got a JDS C421 and digizoid Z02. Ill knock $15 of the combined price for anyone in this thread!

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #7,436 of 11,286
I find a lot of headphones (Both IEMs and full size) often can deliver plenty of mid bass, but not as much sub bass. The D5000 is a little guilty of this, as is the Westone 3.

Is Planar Magnetic the answer to equal bass response in both respects? If not, what is?

I was disappointed with my HE-500's bass response at first. It wasn't until I added a big EQ bump in sub bass and a speaker amp that I was able to get that pounding bass I enjoy out of them.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #7,439 of 11,286

LCD-2 rock for flat bass.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #7,440 of 11,286
I am surprised to see beats as a recommendation even though this is a basshead club. I never thought beats would appear here as most people on head fi hate them

The Beats Pro and Beats Mixr are actually pretty good basshead cans. If you halve the price, they'll be solid/good recommendations. If you halve the price, and change the brand, they'll be top-notch choices.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back