The Basshead Club
Mar 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,531 of 11,286

Quote:

Jag är född i seinäjoki, gjorde lumpen i dragsvik och bor i Sverige numera. Är du från österbotten?

OK taking it in english then so Totally Dubbed is happy. ;D What a coincidence to find ppl so close to you. Yea I'm from there, Jakobstad and also did the army service in Dragsvik, continent II/07.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,532 of 11,286

Quote:
OK taking it in english then so Totally Dubbed is happy. ;D What a coincidence to find ppl so close to you. Yea I'm from there, Jakobstad and also did the army service in Dragsvik, continent II/07.

Ah, great. Yeah, I was born in Seinäjoki, and lived for a while in Kurikka. I speak finnish fluently but it's because I moved to Sweden before the army services that they wanted me at dragsvik. I was a coastal jaeger there. A lot of crawling in the mud and walking in the woods. I was II/99 I think.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #1,534 of 11,286

Quote:
I want Over-Ear so that it doesn't hurt the ears after a while. So the LP2's are a tad better than the LP's? I thought it was cool that the LP's were customizable for the same amount of money. 

I have the LP's and they are not going anywhere.  Love them.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,535 of 11,286
You bass heads that can't afford or don't want to wait for Thunderpants should pick up a pair of Philips Fidelio L1s. Thunderpants Jr. I call them.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #1,537 of 11,286
Thunderpants ($600ish) have the best bass for bassheads in the business regardless of price. It is thick, meaty, extremely well textured and has incredible impact. The Fidelio L1s are a cheaper ($300) option that sacrifices some highs and mids to get bass that is pretty close to Thunderpants level.

Both of these extend better than my SR-007 and UERM and have better impact, though texture is better on the 007 and UERM.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #1,539 of 11,286
I didn't even think Thunderpants would satisfy bassheads in terms of quantity. ^^ Isn't it pretty linear with the mids. For me it needs at least 5dB boost in bass over mids/highs for it to classify as basshead stuff. :p

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDSmeggyThunderpantsontherivet.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioL1.pdf

So you say the L1 have quite good impact? That's one of my fears with L1 seeing how the Tyll's measurement shows it peaking around 50Hz while from my experience the best impact is achieved when it has a "hill sized" basscurve peaking around 80~100Hz and rolling off gently in the deep subbass frequencies such as Ultrasone PRO900, HFI-580, M-Audio Q40 etc.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,540 of 11,286
I heard the Thunderpants last weekend at the Austin meet. The owner was using a Fiio E17 and was using bass boost, quite a lot of it, but the headphone was capable of pounding it out and it sounded great. IMO, the L1 will need less boost to get to similar levels and even sounds pretty bassy at no boost.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,541 of 11,286
Thinking about getting the Aurisonics AS-1b CIEM's and wondering what a good combo for portable source would be. I have a ZO2.3 now and a Clip Zip and iPod Classic 7G. I was looking into the Cowon J3 or even the S9. Any advice? 

Also, Just wanted to make mention of the fact that the D2K's I have that were recabled by Chris_himself with 6N Gold plated copper wires have been absolutely killer. Got my friend some sub-$50 earbuds that have a bit of bass to them for her birthday and then she asked to try my headphones. It was hard getting those things off her head.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #1,542 of 11,286

Quote:
Thinking about getting the Aurisonics AS-1b CIEM's and wondering what a good combo for portable source would be. I have a ZO2.3 now and a Clip Zip and iPod Classic 7G. I was looking into the Cowon J3 or even the S9. Any advice? 

Also, Just wanted to make mention of the fact that the D2K's I have that were recabled by Chris_himself with 6N Gold plated copper wires have been absolutely killer. Got my friend some sub-$50 earbuds that have a bit of bass to them for her birthday and then she asked to try my headphones. It was hard getting those things off her head.

To be quite honest, if you want *bass* my experience is that my Sony DAP paired with a portable amp is better than the J3 with a portable amp. I don't know why, and in theory the J3 shouldn't be worse - but there's just something about the Sony with an external amp.

The Sony I have is the A828. I don't know if the newer ones are better or worse in that regard, but in terms of bass output and making your head vibrate out of bass - I have yet to find something that will beat the Sony with a FiiO. That said, I haven't tried the ZO, so take what you will from it but my basshead cravings are better satisfied through my Sony than through my J3.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,543 of 11,286
Yes, I understand it may be lacking, but I was wondering in terms of audio quality in general. As I said, I already have a digiZoid ZO2, which would help that difference out a bit. 

I guess what you're saying though is that without a portable amp with a bass boost, the J3 lacks the bass I may be looking for, as I would want something that I did not always have to use a portable amp with, as thats what my current setups are.

Quote:
To be quite honest, if you want *bass* my experience is that my Sony DAP paired with a portable amp is better than the J3 with a portable amp. I don't know why, and in theory the J3 shouldn't be worse - but there's just something about the Sony with an external amp.

The Sony I have is the A828. I don't know if the newer ones are better or worse in that regard, but in terms of bass output and making your head vibrate out of bass - I have yet to find something that will beat the Sony with a FiiO. That said, I haven't tried the ZO, so take what you will from it but my basshead cravings are better satisfied through my Sony than through my J3.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,544 of 11,286
I will be honest and say that I was pretty underwhelmed by their stock bass. I was expecting more as I've heard legendary things about them...but when that bass boost kicked in...holy crap. 

They could take it all with no trouble. 

Long story short, they're super fun and respond really well to EQ...Oh and they're gorgeous.

Quote:
I heard the Thunderpants last weekend at the Austin meet. The owner was using a Fiio E17 and was using bass boost, quite a lot of it, but the headphone was capable of pounding it out and it sounded great. IMO, the L1 will need less boost to get to similar levels and even sounds pretty bassy at no boost.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,545 of 11,286
I can't get over how small this ZO is and how much of a punch it packs. Pretty damn cool. It makes my Triple-Fi 10 amazing. Giving it a more rumbling bass that I thought was lacking. However, using high gain mode with my Atrio is bit too much, so I'm messing around looking for a good medium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back