The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Nov 9, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,141 of 1,853

They definitely have the X-factor - the mids. Yeah, their bass is maybe not the strongest part, but since we are not on the extreme basshead thread... :wink:
To me they are a sweet spot of having everything done right, without going into open cans (LCD-2). Definitely better to my ears than everything I have checked lately (Denon D600 & D7100, DT700, Shure SRH1540, Sennheiser HD8, Ultrasones Pro/DJ and more)

How would you compare them to the DT770?

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #1,142 of 1,853
I am tempted to sell a bunch of my cans to get the Fostex TH900.

Worth it? Anything similar to my Denon D5000?

I did just that..........and my experience was that it wasn't worth it, having a Lawton modded D7000 at the time it was just so close that the Denon stayed and the Fostex was sold not long after.

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,143 of 1,853
I did just that..........and my experience was that it wasn't worth it, having a Lawton modded D7000 at the time it was just so close that the Denon stayed and the Fostex was sold not long after.

Though Frank how does a Lawton Modded TH 900 sound :/ 

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,144 of 1,853

They definitely have the X-factor - the mids. Yeah, their bass is maybe not the strongest part, but since we are not on the extreme basshead thread... :wink:
To me they are a sweet spot of having everything done right, without going into open cans (LCD-2). Definitely better to my ears than everything I have checked lately (Denon D600 & D7100, DT700, Shure SRH1540, Sennheiser HD8, Ultrasones Pro/DJ and more)

Another thing with the Vibro's is the variations that there seem to be out there... the ones I tried I WOULD NOT have chosen them over the Ultrasone Signature Pros, nor the DJs, nor the Shure SRH1540, nor a lot others including my Alpha Dogs and Enigmas based on audio quality alone. Yeah they can be fun but they are just like the LCD-XCs to me... they lack some character that make me enjoy music fully...

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,145 of 1,853

How would you compare them to the DT770?

DT770 are definitely more bright and after longer period of time they become a bit fatiguing. The mids are recessed and somewhat dry sounding - Vibros have more juice and that engaging factor. The Vibros hit harder in the lows and are not that one noted, although DT770 goes a tad lower extension-wise. Soundstage is bigger on the Beyers and comfort is also better (hard to beat that for any headphone).

Another thing with the Vibro's is the variations that there seem to be out there... the ones I tried I WOULD NOT have chosen them over the Ultrasone Signature Pros, nor the DJs, nor the Shure SRH1540, nor a lot others including my Alpha Dogs and Enigmas based on audio quality alone. Yeah they can be fun but they are just like the LCD-XCs to me... they lack some character that make me enjoy music fully...

Yes, the Vibros are highly customizable - now even another Blackwood mode is on the way :wink:
I didn't like the XC either - too sharp in the highs and as you described lacking character (and I really wanted to like them, after I fell in love with the LCD-2).

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,146 of 1,853
  Though Frank how does a Lawton Modded TH 900 sound :/ 

Very good..............but not a lot better than my D7000 if at all.  I spent a weekend before I decided to sell the TH900 going back and forth with what were basically two Lawton modded units with the same exact Q French Silk cable.    And drove myself crazy trying to split hairs.   Only difference was the stock TH900 pads vs Lawton angles on the D7000.  The difference just wasn't that great to my 52 year old ears. 

I self admit I'm not a golden ears by any stretch and am glad I'm not. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,147 of 1,853

I self admit I'm not a golden ears by any stretch and am glad I'm not. 

But I definitely trust your opinion, I've noticed that we tend to share similar opinions on certain sound signatures.

I wonder how this new Fostex can will shape up on the Basshead scale? 

FOSTEX - TH500RP

Fostex have long since used RP (Regular Phase) diaphragm technology in their acclaimed professional studio headphones such as the T20RPmk2 and the recent T-series models. 

The new TH500RP model now combines this RP technology with the design philosophy and flair of the TH900, resulting in a set premium headphones which deliver a simply stunning high resolution sound, with sparkling highs, rich mid tones and high quality lows

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,148 of 1,853

But I definitely trust your opinion, I've noticed that we tend to share similar opinions on certain sound signatures.

I wonder how this new Fostex can will shape up on the Basshead scale? 

FOSTEX - TH500RP

I've been wondering the same thing. I have the cash to buy one (Razordog Audio has 3 for sale on their eBay site), but it's a choice between these and some pre-fazor LCD 2's for me.. I think I'm going with the LCD 2 and waiting for more info on these.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,152 of 1,853
Sweet! I've been in contact with Sennheiser, we are going to work together to do an Australian Head-Fi tour of the Urbanite headphones.

Australians, keep your eyes peeled! If you are interested in reviewing these headphones, I'll keep you in the loop.

Tour thread to come tonight. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #1,153 of 1,853
Sweet! I've been in contact with Sennheiser, we are going to work together to do an Australian Head-Fi tour of the Urbanite headphones.

Australians, keep your eyes peeled! If you are interested in reviewing these headphones, I'll keep you in the loop.

Tour thread to come tonight. 

I,m in.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,154 of 1,853
Reviewers wanted, for the Official Sennheiser URBANITE Australian review tour!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742100/official-sennheiser-urbanite-australian-review-tour-reviewers-wanted-apply-within

Users who are viewing this thread

Back