the Audiologists impressions thread (pun most definitely intended ;) )
Aug 17, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 296

daveDerek

Headphoneus Supremus
there's a huge buzz about custom iems these days. with such a high level of interest it's inevitable that folks need to know where to go to get their ear impressions made. given that, i'm starting a thread for people to list recommendations of audiologists that they've worked with or may know of (please include contact info). if this is developed properly it should be a valuable (and perhaps stickiable) reference. to enhance the utility of this thread i'd recommend that folks title their posts with a geographic reference, and spell it out so that it can be searched (i'll do this below as i'm titling the thread).

New York / northern New Jersey & Los Angeles recommendations:
i'll kick it off with the following: i've bitten the bullet and am going the custom route. my impressions were taken recently by Dr. Beth Orliss ((201) 960-3714), located in Oradell, NJ. Jerry Harvey (founder of both Ultimate Ears and Jerry Harvey Audio (JHA)) considers her one of the two best people in the country at doing this, the other one being Frances Miranda in L.A. ((310) 237-1031) so if you're in either region you have a highly recommended audiologist to go see. their client lists read like a who's who of the music world, no doubt. Dr. Orliss was both personable and professional. her rates, while not as low as some, seemed reasonable. as a further convenience she will travel to you, but there is an additional charge for this service. i cannot yet speak to the fit as i've not received my customs, but i'm not worried
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 296
Maybe this is the perfect thread for "are my impressions acceptable?"

I'll start with mine. I just got them today from an audiologist behind the hospital here in Lynchburg, VA for $25 and I'm not impressed. Particularly with the part of the impression that extends into the canal. Do these have to be 100% or do the people who make the customs fix the imperfections and fine tune the surface? I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for them to fill in the cracks, etc. Am I just worrying or are they gonna send these back to me?

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

Again, will they fix those imperfections before making the shell or did I get ripped?

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 296
If you're in the area, I highly recommend Lori. She's been really great. Very reasonable price, too.

The Hearing Clinic
2300 Genoa Business Park # 130, Brighton, MI‎
(810) 225-2205‎

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 296
Anyone have a recommendation for the Seattle area?

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 296
@daveDerek,
Perhaps best to avoid initials (NY, LA) as these often throw no results when doing a search, so probably best to write New York & Los Angeles.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 296
Hey daveDerek, is it possible to contact Dr Beth through e-mail? I am thinking of heading down to New York at the end of the year and get some ear impressions then. Mind sharing the price? Thanks!

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@daveDerek,
Perhaps best to avoid initials (NY, LA) as these often throw no results when doing a search, so probably best to write New York & Los Angeles.

fixed, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey daveDerek, is it possible to contact Dr Beth through e-mail? I am thinking of heading down to New York at the end of the year and get some ear impressions then. Mind sharing the price? Thanks!

it might be possible to contact her that way but i don't currently have an email addy for her. perhaps when i get a chance i'll give her a call, or you could. when i went there she charged me $75. if she comes to wherever you are she charges more. (i didn't originally post the price as these things are subject to change.) it'd probably get expensive for her to come to your abode in Singapore
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 296
$75... Ouch. I heard that doing it with Frances Miranda is free, provided that you order the JH13s through her. Does Dr Beth offer this? But then again probably not, as you would have done so.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, will they fix those imperfections before making the shell or did I get ripped?

I doubt that the IEMs you will get will be an exact copy of the impressions (with all the bumps and crevices). More than likely the imperfections is the exact copy of what's in your ears. if you're that worried, then have them do a new one and compare. Did you clean your ears beforehand?

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt that the IEMs you will get will be an exact copy of the impressions (with all the bumps and crevices). More than likely the imperfections is the exact copy of what's in your ears. if you're that worried, then have them do a new one and compare. Did you clean your ears beforehand?

Can you elaborate on that? I was under the impression (ha ha) that the seal had more to do with the portion of the 'phone that started at the opening of the canal and down to the sound tube opening. I'm no expert; this is just what my logic was telling me.

Edit: Oh and as for the impressions, I bought my ES3x's through Professional Hearing Services, in Springfield VA. The impressions were taken by Kim Johnson, and she seemed to know what she was doing. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the ES3x's, so I can't yet say that I recommend her... but of course I'll report back to base when I know what's what.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frances Miranda in L.A. ((310) 237-1031) so if you're in either region you have a highly recommended audiologist to go see.

I also, highly recommend Frances Miranda. Her website is Rockstarears.com -- Molded to your Music. Her office is located in Beverly Hills in Los Angeles.

I got impressions done by her for my JH13's. One thing she has that others do not, is sample fit cutoms. You can actually try before you buy. She has nearly all different types of Custom IEM's, and will certainly have JH Audio ones as well to listen to, if she doesn't already have them.

-Ed

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 296
Sonus Lansing - Did a good job, very friendly staff $50.
She wants me to let me know what I think of them. When I told her that my jh13's I'm getting are better than UE (she knew of UE and had done several b4 for them), her interest piqued.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 296
pushed? No I didn't know that actually. I just stated that they are regarded as better. Though I conceded to most people probably both are awesome and the differing percentage of awesomeness is probably +/- 5%

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 296
Forgot the name of my audiologist in Edmonton but I have their website and it'll cost $30 for impressions of both ears. www [dot] hearinedmonton [dot] com
There are two locations and I went to the southside one. I thought the service was great and friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back