The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Mar 3, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #811 of 1,529
th900 blows me away every time but it's fatiguing. the w3000anv is easier on the ears.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #812 of 1,529
I herd the th900 and was not so impressed but it was not an optimal conditions or setup.
I have the th600 and keep it in the family because it is sonically impressive but it is not my favorite signature as that U shaped sig tires me.

I was convinced the esw11 was the end game portable with its excellent supple mids and sweet non sibilant highs.
That was until I Got my ultrasone edition 8 and they simply never stop blowing me away with their life like detailed presentation.

Makes me think of trying getting the signature line as I don't know of any other closed that can come close to the w3000 musicality.

I herd the hd800 a lot and to me their strengths lie in upper mids to treble clarity,
But for some reason I remember the LCD3 being more satisfying and rich to my ears.. Over the hd800 & he500..

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #813 of 1,529
That's a tough choice.  LCD2 & W3000anv are both good phones with their respective strength and weaknesses.  LCD2 is a good all rounder with a slightly warm bassy thicker sound, nice sub bass extension, and strong mids.  W3000 has a glossy sound with a thinner, more delicate articulation, prominent smooth treble, mid bass bump, and mids that makes vocals sometime sound "wet or emotional" compared to the LCD2.  W3000 is more intimate/rich/full/forgiving of source and fun in presentation, while LCD2 is more balanced, natural/organic, and transparent.

I agree with this description completely. The LCDs are great all rounders and I think many can live with them as their "one and only" headphones. I don't think I would go that direction however as I feel it kind of holds a middle ground so to speak.... I love the w3000anvs smoothness and flavor, I love the Senns for their wide open soundstage.

Bottom line is, it comes down to preferences, but I find the coloration of the w3000anvs very musical to my ears.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #814 of 1,529
Bottom line is, it comes down to preferences, but I find the coloration of the w3000anvs very musical to my ears.

This should be the main takeaway from head-fi in general though.  It always comes down to personal preferences, and no one is wrong when it comes to audio.  People who can't understand this and deride other people's choices in audio are just being mean spirited.  We're all just looking for that happy audio nirvana to enjoy our music with.  

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #815 of 1,529
Wanting to buy a mcintosh intigrated for my speakers. Has anyone tried using a w3000 with one using a resistor?

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #816 of 1,529
For your musical taste i would recommend the HD800 for its superior resolution, broader and richer midrange presentation. Vocals also sound more natural. Violins have the right timbre and sound real. Airy soundstage, great separation of instruments.

I prefer the W3000ANV for acoustical recordings. It is also quite smooth and grain free in comparison to HD800. Trade offs definitely apply.

Personally i think the HE-500 is better than both, feels more grounded, more dense, more body, rich, fluid, coherent, no frequencies are emphasized over others, better linearity.

They are all very good and a matter of personal preference.

The W3000ANV/HD800 has been an end game setup for me. If you look at the end game thread, you'll see that many people have decided the HD800 is their end game headphone as well. It will be excellent for jazz and classical. Classical especially. It will need a great amplifier to match. It doesn't sound good straight through my D1 Dac which had been a decent amplifier for ATH headphones.

Thanks for comments. So, I will try to find W3000ANV from Japan or buy it from UK online shop. Actually, I really enjoy my W5000, my ESW11LTD is really good but W5000 is in another level.

Since many Headfiers said that W3000ANV is even better than W5000, so I want it in my woodies collection

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #817 of 1,529
I agree with this description completely. The LCDs are great all rounders and I think many can live with them as their "one and only" headphones. I don't think I would go that direction however as I feel it kind of holds a middle ground so to speak.... I love the w3000anvs smoothness and flavor, I love the Senns for their wide open soundstage.

like 3rdear's post too. the other thing I hear with the w3000anv is that the leading edge of notes sound softened.

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #818 of 1,529
have an intensively audit LCD 2.2 last week. Very good cans, but I prefer my W5000 for female vocal. I also surprise with Alpha Dog, very good for my taste. I will get it next after W3000ANV

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #819 of 1,529
To me the Alpha was very dependant on source to sound its best.
It scaled high but needed help.

The w3000anv needs no help to show off its majic..

I now own a woo wa7 and will take my w3000anv out of its box to test tonight..
:)

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #820 of 1,529
smily_headphones1.gif

We are Woooooooo
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #821 of 1,529
We are Woooooooo :beerchug:

Lol nice pic I prob can do same lol.
I am also thinking about the audeze LCD XC closed can as the only real upgrade but its certainly heavier..

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #822 of 1,529
To me the Alpha was very dependant on source to sound its best.
It scaled high but needed help.

The w3000anv needs no help to show off its majic..

smily_headphones1.gif

How does the Alpha Dog sound like? Similar to the W3000ANV? Easier to amp? The W3000ANV is nice, but it really didn't become impressive until I got a Zana Deux SE. Same with the HD800.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #824 of 1,529
Driving W3000ANV (or any other AT headphone for that matter) is not a problem. The issue is their low impedance and high sensitivity - I often had problems with background noise, especially with cheaper amps. Right now I am pairing it with Svetlana 2 and I think I hit my sweet spot with that combo :)

As for closed upgrade - I think there are only 2/3 other headphones that are in same tier when it comes to closed design - TH-900, LCD-XC (and some people would consider T5p as well). As much as I would like to have all of those, my finances won't let me (well, for now :wink: ), but from what I have read I don't think neither of those is real and obvious upgrade, it's just a different flavor on practically same level - W3000ANV being vocal master for more intimate listening, TH-900 as exact opposite (more bass, more highs, less mids) and LCD-XC as more neutral/natural sounding headphones with great imaging and soundstage.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #825 of 1,529
almost feel guilty for saying this here but i rate the th900 more highly than the w3000anv to be honest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back