The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Feb 21, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #796 of 1,529
If you like. I'll call the shop on Taipei and ask for you.

When I saw it locally 2 months ago. It was 40,000 nt I believe. Which is about $1380 usd.

The Taipei shop, when I went last month had it, but I don't know the price. Should be the same for new. I was more interested in trying the LCD-x and xc which they just got.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #797 of 1,529
If you like. I'll call the shop on Taipei and ask for you.

When I saw it locally 2 months ago. It was 40,000 nt I believe. Which is about $1380 usd.

The Taipei shop, when I went last month had it, but I don't know the price. Should be the same for new. I was more interested in trying the LCD-x and xc which they just got.

Thank you very much for your kindness. I just audited LCD-X with Woo WA7 amp on last Monday. My conclusion is that, it deserve the high respects from users. If my main music are in classical and jazz, LCD-X will be my first choice. 
smily_headphones1.gif

But I listen to 70% vocal and 30% to jazz/classical, so my first choice will be AT woodies, and Mad Dog / Alpha Dog will be my second choice

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #798 of 1,529

That's great to hear.  There are only limited impressions about them here or elsewhere on the internet, but it seems they had designed the Svetlana2 with the W3000ANV in mind so it's great to hear another person saying they are a good pairing.  I've not heard any sibilance issues with my two amps so I guess either my hearing is bad or I have been lucky with good amp matches.  

Hey Daigo, cheers on the post. 

A month or two ago I was looking for a "perfect match" for the W3000anvs and I remember you recommended the Elekit and saying the Woo was a decent fit. I was really lucky to find a Svetlana 2 from a fellow Headfier to get auditioned here in Singapore. I must state a few things: 

- I've always been skeptical of tube gear, having never tried it - especially with the already "tubey sound" of the w3000anvs.  
- I've never thought DAC's really mattered, and that the amp was more important. 

I was pleasantly mistaken. 

These are my impressions in short. 

1) I have been using the Naim Dac V1 which is a very musical, pacey Dac/ Amp (i've only just found it's a better DAC than an amp) with my HD700s. I was really happy with that combo but the same could not be said about that pairing with the W3000anvs. It was airy, magical (completely the w3000anvs credit) for a very VERY small amount music genre, which it was "unbeatable". But very simbilant. Worse than my peaky HD700s. Something just didn't add up. I knew the W3ks could do more. 

2) I auditioned the Svetlana with the W3Kanvs with a hyper analytical benchmark DAC. The combo was decent, but didn't blow me away. I wasn't inclined to pick it up. It could be that the Svetlana tubes weren't warm, but the Combo just didn't sound right, or rather - it wasn't worth the 1k+ USD I would pay for the Svetlana. 

3) We switched to the Naim Dac -> Svetlana. Now, this. Is magic. I've spent thousands in the span of a few months, all in the quest for the perfect sound. I really enjoyed the Fostex 900 with it's matching amp and it's full bodied sound. The Naim -> Svetlana -> W3000anv combo, seemed to bring all of it's strengths, full bodied, awesome mid bass, with the classic magical mids of the w3ks, eliminating it's simbilance. It's like this combo had the paceyness/ prat/ musicality of the Naim, and the bass of the Svetlana, which also dropped it's treble peak. 

The sound to me borders on excitement on the high, without going into simbilance, it literally pushes the boundaries of being awesomely exciting, without crossing over. 

It's like the perfect sweet spot for most types of music. Sure, the chain can't beat my HD700s (Possibly Even 800s) on the Naim in decay and dynamics of it's solid state counterpart, but ultimately, it doesn't matter. If I do Batman, or challenging classical music, and I'm looking for separation and dynamics, I'll switch back to my solid state. But I've found that in the last week since owning the Svetlana, I've only switched to another combo for short spurts and for certain genres. 

This chain is also really good with the HD800s which I'll get at some point, but I find myself no longer to be in a rush. 

I no longer troll forums, to buy/ for sale threads as I've done in the last few months. I no longer dream of the Fostex 900, or the Sony R10. I no longer hunger for Stax/ Blue Horizon. 

This sound is exactly what I want, the perfect sweet spot. 

If anyone is in Singapore, and would like to audition the W3000Anvs with one of it's best amp pairings, as project86 says "Regardless of Price", drop me a message and I'll welcome you to my office for an audition. 

Jon

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #799 of 1,529
Sources do make a difference.  I've never been a big fan of the Benchmark DAC series for the same reason as you described it: it's hyper analytical and I feel it somehow sucks the life out of music in its attempt to be as neutral as possible.  

Glad you found a good chain to feed the W3000ANV's.  They are unique and wonderful sounding headphones, if its sound signature matches what you're looking for.  

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #800 of 1,529

Hey Daigo, cheers on the post. 

A month or two ago I was looking for a "perfect match" for the W3000anvs and I remember you recommended the Elekit and saying the Woo was a decent fit. I was really lucky to find a Svetlana 2 from a fellow Headfier to get auditioned here in Singapore. I must state a few things: 

- I've always been skeptical of tube gear, having never tried it - especially with the already "tubey sound" of the w3000anvs.  
- I've never thought DAC's really mattered, and that the amp was more important. 

I was pleasantly mistaken. 

These are my impressions in short. 

1) I have been using the Naim Dac V1 which is a very musical, pacey Dac/ Amp (i've only just found it's a better DAC than an amp) with my HD700s. I was really happy with that combo but the same could not be said about that pairing with the W3000anvs. It was airy, magical (completely the w3000anvs credit) for a very VERY small amount music genre, which it was "unbeatable". But very simbilant. Worse than my peaky HD700s. Something just didn't add up. I knew the W3ks could do more. 

2) I auditioned the Svetlana with the W3Kanvs with a hyper analytical benchmark DAC. The combo was decent, but didn't blow me away. I wasn't inclined to pick it up. It could be that the Svetlana tubes weren't warm, but the Combo just didn't sound right, or rather - it wasn't worth the 1k+ USD I would pay for the Svetlana. 

3) We switched to the Naim Dac -> Svetlana. Now, this. Is magic. I've spent thousands in the span of a few months, all in the quest for the perfect sound. I really enjoyed the Fostex 900 with it's matching amp and it's full bodied sound. The Naim -> Svetlana -> W3000anv combo, seemed to bring all of it's strengths, full bodied, awesome mid bass, with the classic magical mids of the w3ks, eliminating it's simbilance. It's like this combo had the paceyness/ prat/ musicality of the Naim, and the bass of the Svetlana, which also dropped it's treble peak. 

The sound to me borders on excitement on the high, without going into simbilance, it literally pushes the boundaries of being awesomely exciting, without crossing over. 

It's like the perfect sweet spot for most types of music. Sure, the chain can't beat my HD700s (Possibly Even 800s) on the Naim in decay and dynamics of it's solid state counterpart, but ultimately, it doesn't matter. If I do Batman, or challenging classical music, and I'm looking for separation and dynamics, I'll switch back to my solid state. But I've found that in the last week since owning the Svetlana, I've only switched to another combo for short spurts and for certain genres. 

This chain is also really good with the HD800s which I'll get at some point, but I find myself no longer to be in a rush. 

I no longer troll forums, to buy/ for sale threads as I've done in the last few months. I no longer dream of the Fostex 900, or the Sony R10. I no longer hunger for Stax/ Blue Horizon. 

This sound is exactly what I want, the perfect sweet spot. 

If anyone is in Singapore, and would like to audition the W3000Anvs with one of it's best amp pairings, as project86 says "Regardless of Price", drop me a message and I'll welcome you to my office for an audition. 

Jon

R10 isn't all that anyways. I had a similar experience as you and even jumping to Stax. Now I'm happy with an Anedio D1 DAC, Zana Deux SE, and HD800/W3000ANV. I always wonder if there is a better DAC I can use though. Something maybe a tad less sharp without losing its detail and soundstaging.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #803 of 1,529
Sources do make a difference.  I've never been a big fan of the Benchmark DAC series for the same reason as you described it: it's hyper analytical and I feel it somehow sucks the life out of music in its attempt to be as neutral as possible.  

Glad you found a good chain to feed the W3000ANV's.  They are unique and wonderful sounding headphones, if its sound signature matches what you're looking for.  

It's exactly what I was looking for. Truly, quite hard to match. I've got quite a few flavors due to all the gear I own, but the w3000anv chain best them all to me, in crushing fashion. If I had 1 headphone for a portable, it would be my Fiio X3 -> ESW11LTDs, but if I had 1 Headphone for my current Rig, I think it will be hard for my current chain to be matched. 

R10 isn't all that anyways. I had a similar experience as you and even jumping to Stax. Now I'm happy with an Anedio D1 DAC, Zana Deux SE, and HD800/W3000ANV. I always wonder if there is a better DAC I can use though. Something maybe a tad less sharp without losing its detail and soundstaging.

I just checked out your profile. Wow, nice. Previous Stax owner switching over to the W3000ANVs. I'm not sure how the D1 DAC sounds (supposedly awesome). Is it an analytical DAC? 

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #804 of 1,529
There are very few top tier "closed" cans to choose from, as most are open.
I have the w3000anv & fostex th600 and both are so far apart from each other and I see no middle ground.
Maybe the Alpha dogs?
Ultrasone SIG Pro?
Shire 1540?.
Or the JVC woodie..?
Sadly I don't think any can reach the level of the w3000anv.

Anyone here try J$ pads on their w3000anv?
I need a better seal..
If I can't get a good seal on my tiny head without bending the band I planning to let them go(!) As I these are like museum pieces of art that I don't even touch anymore lol.

Edit:
I do have the rubber band on it but still need better bass seal.
I notice a fuller sound when I press the cups on my ears so I know it can get better..

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #805 of 1,529

Please kindly share what do you think about W3000ANV and HD800 (pro/con). I have W1000, ESW11LTD, so I dare to blind buy W5000. And now I will also looking for W3000ANV without any audit.

But HD800 is different story, I don't like sound of their mid price phones. Anyhow, HD800 get many respects and I would like to have it in my collection if it suit with my music genre. I listen to 70% female vocal, 30% jazz and classical. No pop, rock, country, dance, etc.

Thanks

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #806 of 1,529
Please kindly share what do you think about W3000ANV and HD800 (pro/con). I have W1000, ESW11LTD, so I dare to blind buy W5000. And now I will also looking for W3000ANV without any audit.

But HD800 is different story, I don't like sound of their mid price phones. Anyhow, HD800 get many respects and I would like to have it in my collection if it suit with my music genre. I listen to 70% female vocal, 30% jazz and classical. No pop, rock, country, dance, etc.

Thanks

For your musical taste i would recommend the HD800 for its superior resolution, broader and richer midrange presentation. Vocals also sound more natural. Violins have the right timbre and sound real. Airy soundstage, great separation of instruments.

I prefer the W3000ANV for acoustical recordings. It is also quite smooth and grain free in comparison to HD800. Trade offs definitely apply.

Personally i think the HE-500 is better than both, feels more grounded, more dense, more body, rich, fluid, coherent, no frequencies are emphasized over others, better linearity.

They are all very good and a matter of personal preference.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #807 of 1,529
I personally feel that plantar type headphones like the HE-500 sound a bit disjointed. Not good to buy a different type blind for sure.

As for you Maxx, I think you will be hard pressed to find a closed HP for your home system that will top the W3000anv actually. I have dx1000, ed8 and sig pros as well as es10 and esw9. None are as good as the 3000 although the ultrasones are both very good. Only thing to try is listen to the th900, but it is only semi-closed. I liked it but I have my go-to opens over here hd800 mainly and the hand full of closed for when TV or noise, so no need for a semi closed th900.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #808 of 1,529
From memory, (haven't heard in about a yr. a friend useto bring them over all the time) I find that the hd800 to have too much sibilence with female vocals. I also don't like the u shape sound. The mids are a tad recessed compare to the lows and highs. I agree they it has great detail and separation and airiness.

For vocals and jazz. I think the LCD-3 are great. I haven't tried the LCD-x much but those could be to your liking.

I love my w3000anv also.

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #809 of 1,529

It's exactly what I was looking for. Truly, quite hard to match. I've got quite a few flavors due to all the gear I own, but the w3000anv chain best them all to me, in crushing fashion. If I had 1 headphone for a portable, it would be my Fiio X3 -> ESW11LTDs, but if I had 1 Headphone for my current Rig, I think it will be hard for my current chain to be matched. 

I just checked out your profile. Wow, nice. Previous Stax owner switching over to the W3000ANVs. I'm not sure how the D1 DAC sounds (supposedly awesome). Is it an analytical DAC? 

I definitely think the D1 is an analytical DAC. It sounds smooth though because of how dispersed it makes the sound.

Thanks

The W3000ANV/HD800 has been an end game setup for me. If you look at the end game thread, you'll see that many people have decided the HD800 is their end game headphone as well. It will be excellent for jazz and classical. Classical especially. It will need a great amplifier to match. It doesn't sound good straight through my D1 Dac which had been a decent amplifier for ATH headphones.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #810 of 1,529
I personally feel that plantar type headphones like the HE-500 sound a bit disjointed. Not good to buy a different type blind for sure.

As for you Maxx, I think you will be hard pressed to find a closed HP for your home system that will top the W3000anv actually. I have dx1000, ed8 and sig pros as well as es10 and esw9. None are as good as the 3000 although the ultrasones are both very good. Only thing to try is listen to the th900, but it is only semi-closed. I liked it but I have my go-to opens over here hd800 mainly and the hand full of closed for when TV or noise, so no need for a semi closed th900.

I felt the same way about the HE-500 a year ago when i auditioned them with an underpowered amp, i felt the bass and mid-bass was disorganized and congested. Fast forward a year later, i borrowed them from a friend, listened through my powerful vintage Yamaha receiver, Audio-GD DAC and the rest is history. Wow. Different league, great lesson about system synergy. I under estimated the scalability factor. Iron fist in a velvet glove. Mustang vs Mercedes :) Don't know what else to add.

I also agree with your assessment of the W3000ANV, i am unaware of a better sounding closed HP, i think it is more refined than the TH900. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back