The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
May 14, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,504 of 1,529
The w3k is my favorite of the woodies but they haven't appreciated like l3000 or the 2002. Most sell for 1200-1500 usd at or below original msrp
Okay thanks to you and Mach3. I have seen people asking around $2000 and sometimes even more on eBay but was skeptical if they really sold for that much. I got mine new on sale for $1,000 at beach camera

May 16, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,505 of 1,529
I think the on going price in mint condition is around $1,300.
I agree it is stranger they have not gone up more in price. For my sound taste they are de best sounding one of the woodies. I had once the W11JPN. They were also beautiful but too bright sounding for me.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 16, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,506 of 1,529
Can I ask you guys what you are using for amps with these? I definitely enjoy listening to mine, they sound really good but I've got to say they don't quite send me over the moon. Maybe there's some perfect amplifier which works best. I have heard the Yamamotos make a great pairing. I know there was a 50th anniversary amp released when the headphones were, but I seem to remember it being really expensive. All opinions very welcome.

May 16, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,507 of 1,529
Can I ask you guys what you are using for amps with these? I definitely enjoy listening to mine, they sound really good but I've got to say they don't quite send me over the moon. Maybe there's some perfect amplifier which works best. I have heard the Yamamotos make a great pairing. I know there was a 50th anniversary amp released when the headphones were, but I seem to remember it being really expensive. All opinions very welcome.
Which amp are you using now?
Out of all the amps i own the W3000ANV sounds best wirh the Bryston BHA-1. They need a good injection of speed and clarity to overcome the somewhat softer character.

May 18, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,508 of 1,529
Which amp are you using now?
Out of all the amps i own the W3000ANV sounds best wirh the Bryston BHA-1. They need a good injection of speed and clarity to overcome the somewhat softer character.
Sorry for the delay. Taxes due, etc, etc. The amps I've used so far have been a Chord Mojo, NuForce icon hdp, Marantz HD-DAC1, Earmen Tr-amp, and twice now with my new Romi BX-2 Plus. I think the Romi has been the best of these but it's a little early to tell. Today I just received a topping D90 DAC that I found pre-owned. I'm thinking I would like to try to run that directly into the Romi amp. I don't have the balanced cable right now to go between the dac and amp. Plan to listen to my Dunu Zen balanced. I do already have the cables I would need to run single ended from dac to amp so I think I'll try that tomorrow. With the A-T's being single ended anyway I'm not sure that balanced setup would really help me with them anyway

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,509 of 1,529
Sorry for the delay. Taxes due, etc, etc. The amps I've used so far have been a Chord Mojo, NuForce icon hdp, Marantz HD-DAC1, Earmen Tr-amp, and twice now with my new Romi BX-2 Plus. I think the Romi has been the best of these but it's a little early to tell. Today I just received a topping D90 DAC that I found pre-owned. I'm thinking I would like to try to run that directly into the Romi amp. I don't have the balanced cable right now to go between the dac and amp. Plan to listen to my Dunu Zen balanced. I do already have the cables I would need to run single ended from dac to amp so I think I'll try that tomorrow. With the A-T's being single ended anyway I'm not sure that balanced setup would really help me with them anyway
I think you have some very good options to drive the W3000ANV. I have the Mojo myself which i think is excellent and used to own the Icon HDP (regret selling it) many years ago, before i bought the W3K. From what i remember the amp section is clean and detailed and should be a good match. I would think the Mojo driving the Icon HDP would sound great. Since you got the D90 i would be interested in your thoughts/comparison with the Mojo. I anticipate the D90 to be a detail monster if a little leaner & drier and the Mojo a little smoother...but i could be right. Not familiar with Romi. Let us know how things work out!

Edit: I think you own enough amps & DACs to consider adding another headphone in your rotation. I feel the W3000ANV is a great 'complimentary' headphone, however in my case it is not my daily driver.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,510 of 1,529
Deleted.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,511 of 1,529
I feel the W3000ANV is a great 'complimentary' headphone, however in my case it is not my daily driver.
The same for me. I would use it more often but I know how bad I would feel if I were to scratch it up. So it stays in its original box and I carefully remove it occasionally for a listen. I would like a new daily phone, thinking the Ether Flow C would be good

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #1,512 of 1,529
Just replace the original cable with full balance 4.4mm and it sounds way better than the SE

Using WA7Fire flies 3rd Gen

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #1,513 of 1,529
Just replace the original cable with full balance 4.4mm and it sounds way better than the SE

Using WA7Fire flies 3rd Gen
I have kicked that idea around. I wish they had built it with a detachable cable. I guess if it kills resale value that only matters if a person were to sell it. If someone already knows they're never going to sell it then it's irrelevant I guess. Any chance you could post photos of your modifications? Maybe list the actual components? Thanks

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,514 of 1,529
I have kicked that idea around. I wish they had built it with a detachable cable. I guess if it kills resale value that only matters if a person were to sell it. If someone already knows they're never going to sell it then it's irrelevant I guess. Any chance you could post photos of your modifications? Maybe list the actual components? Thanks
I didnt do the work. A local shop did it for me.
But this is the cable I had order for one of my other head phones and we used that.

https://www.amazon.com/GUCraftsman-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SG6CN1T7HNE52FGGYNMB

He then rewired the cable into the cups.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,515 of 1,529
I didnt do the work. A local shop did it for me.
But this is the cable I had order for one of my other head phones and we used that.

https://www.amazon.com/GUCraftsman-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SG6CN1T7HNE52FGGYNMB

He then rewired the cable into the cups.
So are you saying they wired connectors into your headphones or removed the connectors from that cable and wired the cable itself into your headphones? Would love to see a photo of the finished job. Either here or by p.m. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back