The Audio Lounge
Feb 24, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #29,296 of 36,072

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #29,297 of 36,072

Feb 24, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #29,298 of 36,072
I’m not sure what you’re trying to do with the Pis. I setup a system based on Roon that used pis with a Roon ready Linux distro called RoPieee. All the audio is transported over Ethernet so it’s super clean. Plus you can setup remote nodes with 7” pi screen so you can control music from a remote location. Pretty cool setup that doesn’t cost a lot.

https://ropieee.org/

My Big Quest - is to be able to listen to my Roku audio (currently HDMI->SPDIF Optical converter, goes to Optical input on my Topping D70 DAC) using my Cayin RU6 DAC instead - but RU6 only has a USB input.

So I'm trying to find or assemble a device that will take audio on an SPDIF (optical or coax) input, and somehow output via USB, as if it were streaming from something like UAPP, to an external DAC (the RU6).

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #29,299 of 36,072
The last few years have been the most absolute craziest times that I could ever imagine!

I recently turned 60 and I remember my father who is now in his early 90's, talking about the madness of the second world war! Including the time that German bombers got lost and bombed places in Dublin by accident.

If it is not COVID, it is some total nutter doing their best to F-UP the world!
Ah you youngsters! Pod’s 65 and there is one thing for sure this planet is not lacking in is Nut Jobz! The one thing I think that was good about Oompa Loompa is he exposed just how many un-educated, racist sheeple that still exist in America. Sure are a lot of us veterans who have fought and severed for the freedoms of our Democracy. For me the actions of the likes of Pompeo are simply treasonous, We have been and always will be enemies of these communist countries. You have to be extremely stupid or just like him to believe anything that comes out the Orange ones mouth. Hoping the country comes to its senses!

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #29,300 of 36,072
My Big Quest - is to be able to listen to my Roku audio (currently HDMI->SPDIF Optical converter, goes to Optical input on my Topping D70 DAC) using my Cayin RU6 DAC instead - but RU6 only has a USB input.

So I'm trying to find or assemble a device that will take audio on an SPDIF (optical or coax) input, and somehow output via USB, as if it were streaming from something like UAPP, to an external DAC (the RU6).
I would start looking at professional audio interfaces for something like that. Keep the optical converter and go optical to USB. The problem there though is the cost. It gets expensive really quickly. The problem your going to have finding something less expensive is USB isn’t an audio interface, it’s a data transfer interface. The conversion is a huge deal and will require a bit of money to find a converter, especially if you want a good sound.

The raspberry pi route may be a problem. I don’t know if the CPU is powerful enough to convert spdif to USB. You may run into latency issues. But I’ve never tried it. You may be able to find a HAT does that but I’ve never seen one.

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #29,301 of 36,072
I would start looking at professional audio interfaces for something like that. Keep the optical converter and go optical to USB. The problem there though is the cost. It gets expensive really quickly. The problem your going to have finding something less expensive is USB isn’t an audio interface, it’s a data transfer interface. The conversion is a huge deal and will require a bit of money to find a converter, especially if you want a good sound.

The raspberry pi route may be a problem. I don’t know if the CPU is powerful enough to convert spdif to USB. You may run into latency issues. But I’ve never tried it. You may be able to find a HAT does that but I’ve never seen one.

When you're using a Pi as a Roon client, do you have a DAC HAT on the Pi, with its analog output feeding an amp?
Or, do you have a USB DAC connected to the Pi?
How much different is converting audio coming in via Ethernet, and converting SPDIF audio - to send to an external USB DAC?

Feb 25, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #29,302 of 36,072
Theres computers, there is PI, then there are music servers. Course each step costs more and i wouldn't take away anyones DIY on a PI. But this stuff is beyond my pay grade with linux advancements, roon code changes, as well as components tuned for audio, i leave it up to paid professionals, course I pay for that privilege

Feb 25, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #29,303 of 36,072
Just cause podster gave me hope that america isn’t completely bonkers. It’s up to america people and Russian peoples to throw off the shackles of propaganda and sociopathy and stop these tyrants. I realize tyrants give the masses some opioids of assurance that I’m being looked after, but sheesh, we can look after eachother just fine, contrary to what these autocrats or wannabees that need hate and division to succeed. and wrap themselves in flags and lies.

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #29,304 of 36,072
Feb 25, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #29,305 of 36,072
When you're using a Pi as a Roon client, do you have a DAC HAT on the Pi, with its analog output feeding an amp?
How much different is converting audio coming in via Ethernet, and converting SPDIF audio - to send to an external USB DAC?
The problem you are likely to encounter with optical to USB conversion is that the DAC is expecting the USB to come from a USB host, and the USB out of the converters I have come across acts like a USB client - i.e. it looks like a USB microphone rather than a host computer. So, neither end will take up host duties and it won't work (or at least, not with the converter I have).

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #29,306 of 36,072
The problem you are likely to encounter with optical to USB conversion is that the DAC is expecting the USB to come from a USB host, and the USB out of the converters I have come across acts like a USB client - i.e. it looks like a USB microphone rather than a host computer. So, neither end will take up host duties and it won't work (or at least, not with the converter I have).

I can understand that with the stand-alone devices.

But I know that it's possible to connect an external USB DAC to a Pi - so the Pi must be able to function as a host USB port, at least when streaming music from a server (over Ethernet / Wi-Fi), or from local storage. I just don't know if anyone has written a program to read in data from an SPDIF hat, and send it out through the USB host port. :thinking:

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #29,307 of 36,072
You can use a HAT or a DAC connected to USB. It's really slick.

If you want it to output in that location you can add a HAT that does speaker output, or pre/amp as you like.

So basically it gives you a remote system that allows playback from Roon.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #29,308 of 36,072
I can understand that with the stand-alone devices.

But I know that it's possible to connect an external USB DAC to a Pi - so the Pi must be able to function as a host USB port, at least when streaming music from a server (over Ethernet / Wi-Fi), or from local storage. I just don't know if anyone has written a program to read in data from an SPDIF hat, and send it out through the USB host port. :thinking:
Yeah you can do conversion to USB but you need to spend money. I know the Lynx Hilo does it, but that cost huge money. https://www.lynxstudio.com/products/hilo/

Edit: Another Pro Audio Interface that does this is the RME ADI2 Pro / DAC. https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-pro-be.html

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #29,309 of 36,072
Yeah you can do conversion to USB but you need to spend money. I know the Lynx Hilo does it, but that cost huge money. https://www.lynxstudio.com/products/hilo/

Edit: Another Pro Audio Interface that does this is the RME ADI2 Pro / DAC. https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-pro-be.html

I don't see why separate, expensive, Pro devices should be required.

If a Pi can read an incoming Ethernet Roon audio signal, and output it as a USB stream to an external DAC, then why couldn't it read an incoming SPDIF audio signal, and output it to an external USB DAC?

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #29,310 of 36,072
I don't see why separate, expensive, Pro devices should be required.

If a Pi can read an incoming Ethernet Roon audio signal, and output it as a USB stream to an external DAC, then why couldn't it read an incoming SPDIF audio signal, and output it to an external USB DAC?
I think pipewire can do this. One of my ex-colleagues used to do this sort of thing and, at that time, I believe he used "jack", which was superseded by pulseaudio, and then pipewire. Unfortunately I don't know any of the details but this may be relevant:
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/redirect-spdif-input-to-hifiberry/72706/2
And:
https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en...gi-I-O-support-simultaneous-input-and-output-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back