The Audio Lounge
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #25,981 of 36,093
It's been 2 days with the Grado and decided that they go back. I couldn't get too many configurations with my gear where they sounded good. I know that I shouldn't make any snap decisions so soon, but if I have to play around just to get some marginally ok sounding tunes, it's too much. I'm down to 2 over ear headphones (Ether and 99 Noir). I love both of them and wish I could get a lighter pair of open-back to round out my set. I looked at the AQ Nighthawks but can't find any around that are reasonably priced.

Back to the search.
It's ok man, when you know, you just know. I got a pair of LZ A7 IEMs in on the 7th after waiting nearly a month, and I listed them for sale on the 9th, lol. Like you said, having to play around to get marginally ok sound isn't worth it. Sorry the Grado didn't work out for you bro, and hopefully you find your set of light open backs.
This is me so often. I've heard you either love or hate Grados. After I heard that Grados are like wearing a wooden box on your head I decided I wouldn't ever try them... 😂

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #25,982 of 36,093
This is me so often. I've heard you either love or hate Grados. After I heard that Grados are like wearing a wooden box on your head I decided I wouldn't ever try them... 😂
I listened to some Grado SR325is at one point and some custom Grado-style build. I recall the SR325i not quite being my cup of tea for more than just comfort reasons. That custom build sounded better, but there was certainly enough not to like that I stuck with my venerable HD600 and a TH-X00. And then regardless of the sound quality/signature, I'm never going to like the comfort ergonomics of that style of headphone.

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #25,983 of 36,093
I had the HD6XX and while I really liked the sound, just never used it much. For the cost, that seems to closest to what I am looking for in an open-back, warmish signature. I am waiting and reading a lot to see what else is out there. For a moment, I almost considered an older Audeze LCD-2 but not sure I want to spend that much on it. It could be what I am looking for doesn't exist for the price I want to pay.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #25,984 of 36,093
I had the HD6XX and while I really liked the sound, just never used it much. For the cost, that seems to closest to what I am looking for in an open-back, warmish signature. I am waiting and reading a lot to see what else is out there. For a moment, I almost considered an older Audeze LCD-2 but not sure I want to spend that much on it. It could be what I am looking for doesn't exist for the price I want to pay.
You should give the Hifiman Ananda a try. It's a bit on the warm side and it's so transparent. No treble spikes and plenty of bass. The comfort is awesome. Plus you can drive it with just about anything.

I went through all the LCD series and they were really good but way too uncomfortable. The newer LCDs look better with the new housings but I'm not sure about the comfort.

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #25,985 of 36,093
I just cant understand why even high end Grados don’t have a removable cable.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #25,987 of 36,093
I think it's because supposedly extra connectors degrade the signal. There are some people that take their removable cable headphones and hardwire them. I may be off here....

ConcreteLinearIrishsetter-small.gif

Lol.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #25,988 of 36,093
Yeah well I didn't say it was true. 😁 Look at musicians and studios, they have all sorts of removable cables for everything.

I can say there is science in long cable runs for ethernet, 100 meters to be exact. But you can plug into a switch to regenerate the signal. We're not even getting close to that with headphones though.

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #25,994 of 36,093
Hey I have a question for anyone... What type wireless earphones do you guys use? I picked up a pair of Senn Momentum TW2s and like them. But I was wondering if there was something better.

shrug2.gif

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #25,995 of 36,093
I just cant understand why even high end Grados don’t have a removable cable.
Have a Grado PS2000e here and absolutely can't understand it. It makes no sense. They make a 2m hardwired cable on a flagship headphone and include a crappy 50€ 4m enlargement cable and a 10€ 6,3 mm to 3,5 mm adapter in the box.

That means they say : "hey we don't want sound degradation with our cable so we hardwire it to get rid of connectors. And by the way if you want to use a DAP or listen to it from your couch 4m away please use one of the connectors we provide. And if you want to use it on your XLR out just buy a new headphone with the XLR cable.

After one year the cable on my GS1000e already looks like absolute crap because the earpieces can turn freely just how much they want so it bends all over the way. I wonder why it's not broken yet. And it's one of my least used headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back