The Audio Lounge
May 10, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #24,393 of 36,059
Also there’s the my FireBlade restoration to fund, which is now three bikes after buying a frame last week to build a custom cafe racer with and upon registering the frame I noticed the logbook stated the colour of the original....Beige. That can only mean one thing, it’s the Urban Tiger model so now we are doing a full on restoration of probably the best looking FireBlade ever made. This is gonna eat some audio funds for sure lol

A3486958-67F8-4F2D-82D4-FDC9446A809F.jpeg

May 10, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #24,394 of 36,059
Also there’s the my FireBlade restoration to fund, which is now three bikes after buying a frame last week to build a custom cafe racer with and upon registering the frame I noticed the logbook stated the colour of the original....Beige. That can only mean one thing, it’s the Urban Tiger model so now we are doing a full on restoration of probably the best looking FireBlade ever made. This is gonna eat some audio funds for sure lol

A3486958-67F8-4F2D-82D4-FDC9446A809F.jpeg
Still looks gorgeous!

May 10, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #24,396 of 36,059
happy as a pig in crap lol
Just listening to this and what the 1Z does is just makes it real.......what more could I want :smile_phones:
@KEV G
I love how you always tell it like it is.. straight up :joy: :ksc75smile:
That FireBlade looks amazing by the way!
But I can't help feeling like every time I hear from you, you've somehow found a reason why you need to build yet another FireBlade.
Do you ever feel you've just stumbled onto another slippery slope? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 10, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #24,397 of 36,059
Well thanks for your Very detailed observations my friend.
My budget Will not stretch to lpgt it's too far out of my range, if and it is an if I buy 1z it will be second hand , new lotoo paw 6000 would be feasible though.
Also I'm strictly a no mod guy and this includes custom firmwares, I come from an electronic background all be it no where anywhere near as knowledgeable as some on here infact my knowledge is still quite limited but tend to think that most of the increments are small at best, also if something goes wrong not so easy for me to post to Sony to fix... I'm sort of in the Sony or whoever designed what you are modding clearly have a lot more knowledge than most... spoke to someone who spent a lot on the kmod and he said more or less the same thing to me... basically increments but small but voids warranty and Sony won't touch after that.
I'm in the If it ain't broke don't fix camp lol
But again each to there own on here , no right or wrong and some just like to experiment and tinker.

You're most welcome :)

Well, I have to admit, I had the same thinking as you to some extent, that Sony engineers would surely know more about tuning the DAP than an amateur (and don't call me Shirley lol). But when I got my iBasso AMP8 modded, it opened up whole new realms, and then iBasso even went and released an official version of the modded AMP8!
So I figured there's got to be something to it lol.

Actually, quite a lot of the mods (both hardware and FW) have been done in such a way so as to preserve the existing Sony tuning, but just using upgraded capacitors and wires to increase the technical performance at the same time (increased soundstage, separation, imaging, timbre, etc). So I think that's the approach I'm aiming for too :)

Regarding LPGT, yeah, it's horrendously expensive. I was thinking more of you finding a good deal on a used one.
Stuff like that still happens sometimes (I'm a keen follower of the For Sale threads here!).
Remember the member who sold a pair of EE Zeus here for $25? :joy:

But also I mentioned all that about the LPGT because it was intended also to give you some idea about the tuning and UI and pros and cons of the PAW6k (and the S1 dongle to a lesser extent) :)

May 10, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #24,398 of 36,059
Also you are by admission a known basshead lol... I actually think just because of the sonic differences between lpgt and 1z that possibly most of your iems would sound better on lpgt being more neutral open and airy, this isn't to say that lpgt isn't better than 1z not sat with either but I just know from my tastes I prefer neutral with warm and vice versa.

"Also you are by admission a known basshead lol"..
Guilty as charged :joy:
However, I have to say that firstly I don't think my love for the LPGT sound was due to it being more neutral.
I heard that Sony updated the FW of the WM1Z and the most recent one was less organic and analogue and more neutral-reference.
It didn't do much for me at all, and I found the LPGT to be more musical, enjoyable and at the same time, technically outstanding.

And note that even with my pretty neutral-ish and relatively bass-light IEMs (iBasso IT04, Stealth Sonics U9), I still preferred listening to them with the LPGT.
I regret that I never tried out the PMEQ with the LPGT actually. That would have been very interesting I suspect :)

May 10, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #24,399 of 36,059
@KEV G
I love how you always tell it like it is.. straight up :joy: :ksc75smile:
That FireBlade looks amazing by the way!
But I can't help feeling like every time I hear from you, you've somehow found a reason why you need to build yet another FireBlade.
Do you ever feel you've just stumbled onto another slippery slope? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Haha not with Bridgestone’s on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’ve always loved bikes and music, bikes can sound just as good as any dap/music and a FireBlade really sings at 10500rpm lol
This latest one was completely by mistake, the owner not me. He didn’t know what he had and I bought the frame with a few other bits for £175.00, reckon I could sell Just the frame tomorrow for £500-600.00
My original FireBlade will be worth about £2.5k when finished, the Urban Tiger about £6k
It’s two years older than my original and will be increasing in value by around 175% over the next few years.
Won’t be selling it though, not until I can’t ride anymore.
Bikes are extremely addictive once you have the taste for them. Nothing else comes close.
So if it’s a slippery slope, then just let me slide :ksc75smile:

May 10, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #24,400 of 36,059
Anyway thanks again @Layman1 and @Wyville the lotoo paw 6000 is now in the running !

Do want to state again each to there own guys, there genuinely is no right or wrong on here only preferences, this hobby we all enjoy is not science and which ever path you choose on here is right because it is your musical journey and your preferences ....one thing i also feel and do myself is we at times get far too deep into the technicalities rather than just enjoying the music itself, this is not a bad thing as it is part of the hobby but don't let it take over, if a 50 dollar player puts a smile on your face and 2000 dollar doesn't then it's better than the 2000 dollar.... enjoy the tunes.

Couldn't agree more.
I mean, I've been so lucky in this hobby, and through reviewing and my evolution in the hobby, I've been able to go from bargain basement gear up to some of the finest stuff available, some for free, some paid for.
But I'll never forget a time last year when I was lying in bed, physically ill and stressed to the max.
I don't use TOTL gear in bed since I can't use those earphones whilst lying on my side and am paranoid about breaking them or having the DAP slide off the bed and take a fall etc.

But I had my old DX120 and a pair of £9 imitation Apple EarPods (wired).
I stuck on some beautiful relaxing music, and all my cares, physical pain and so forth just receded into the background.
It was a moment of intense beauty, tranquility and bliss; it really affected me, and I didn't need any great musical gear to achieve it :)

Having said that, like most of us here I'm sure, the point is that I love music, and being able to have those moments where I'm listening to long-familiar songs and suddenly notice there's a piano playing quietly in the background, or the musicians hand brushing against the guitar body etc, never loses its magic for me.
Not to mention just taking songs I already love and making them sound even better :)

We often talk about the slippery slope and whatnot, but honestly I'm so glad and so grateful that I discovered this hobby :)

May 10, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #24,401 of 36,059
"Also you are by admission a known basshead lol"..
Guilty as charged :joy:
However, I have to say that firstly I don't think my love for the LPGT sound was due to it being more neutral.
I heard that Sony updated the FW of the WM1Z and the most recent one was less organic and analogue and more neutral-reference.
It didn't do much for me at all, and I found the LPGT to be more musical, enjoyable and at the same time, technically outstanding.

And note that even with my pretty neutral-ish and relatively bass-light IEMs (iBasso IT04, Stealth Sonics U9), I still preferred listening to them with the LPGT.
I regret that I never tried out the PMEQ with the LPGT actually. That would have been very interesting I suspect :)
Well thanks! I will have a think about where my route is going nothing will happen yet anyway and I'm not rushing, dropping 1600 ish on anything is not small change for me.

May 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #24,402 of 36,059
You're most welcome :)

Well, I have to admit, I had the same thinking as you to some extent, that Sony engineers would surely know more about tuning the DAP than an amateur (and don't call me Shirley lol). But when I got my iBasso AMP8 modded, it opened up whole new realms, and then iBasso even went and released an official version of the modded AMP8!
So I figured there's got to be something to it lol.

Actually, quite a lot of the mods (both hardware and FW) have been done in such a way so as to preserve the existing Sony tuning, but just using upgraded capacitors and wires to increase the technical performance at the same time (increased soundstage, separation, imaging, timbre, etc). So I think that's the approach I'm aiming for too :)

Regarding LPGT, yeah, it's horrendously expensive. I was thinking more of you finding a good deal on a used one.
Stuff like that still happens sometimes (I'm a keen follower of the For Sale threads here!).
Remember the member who sold a pair of EE Zeus here for $25? :joy:

But also I mentioned all that about the LPGT because it was intended also to give you some idea about the tuning and UI and pros and cons of the PAW6k (and the S1 dongle to a lesser extent) :)
Couldn't agree more.
I mean, I've been so lucky in this hobby, and through reviewing and my evolution in the hobby, I've been able to go from bargain basement gear up to some of the finest stuff available, some for free, some paid for.
But I'll never forget a time last year when I was lying in bed, physically ill and stressed to the max.
I don't use TOTL gear in bed since I can't use those earphones whilst lying on my side and am paranoid about breaking them or having the DAP slide off the bed and take a fall etc.

I stuck on some beautiful relaxing music, and all my cares, physical pain and so forth just receded into the background.
It was a moment of intense beauty, tranquility and bliss; it really affected me, and I didn't need any great musical gear to achieve it :)

Having said that, like most of us here I'm sure, the point is that I love music, and being able to have those moments where I'm listening to long-familiar songs and suddenly notice there's a piano playing quietly in the background, or the musicians hand brushing against the guitar body etc, never loses its magic for me.
Not to mention just taking songs I already love and making them sound even better :)

We often talk about the slippery slope and whatnot, but honestly I'm so glad and so grateful that I discovered this hobby :)
To be honest mate Im missing my 160 and I'm thinking of buying another untill I'm back at work, maybe even not bother with upgrade I enjoy it thst much with the andro, and this honestly has nothing to do with finance but I do actually enjoy it......that smile on my face.

May 10, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #24,403 of 36,059
Couldn't agree more.

Now who’s saying it like it is lol
Very well said mate, very well indeed :beerchug:

May 10, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #24,404 of 36,059
If anyone wants to have some fun, I invite you to check out my video review of the FiiO BTR3K, a bluetooth receiver that has balanced output, but is only 70 USD this time around (compared to the 130 USD for BTR 5)

I also posted a full in-depth written review about Dunu DK-3001 PRO!! Really loving their sound, which is balanced to V-Shaped, and their engaging midrange. More details in the full article, including comparisons with other 5 IEMs, and pairings with 5 sources!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/05/the-opera-leader-dunu-dk-3001-pro-iems.html

Dunu-DK-3001-PRO-IEMs-Hybrid-Earphones-Spinfit-DX220-Hulk-Cable-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-23.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back