The Audio Lounge
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #13,561 of 36,075
Something I haven't seen fully explored is the use of IEMs when lying down to sleep. Comfort is obviously one issue, but the one I'm encountering is "distortion" with some and none with others. Now all of my IEMs function just fine when sitting upright, walking, etc., but lay down and the bets are off. Anyone else experience this kind of anomaly?

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #13,562 of 36,075
Interesting quote on the Penon webpage for the LZ A4 -

LZ A4 2 Balanced Armature + 1 Dynamic Driver 3-Way Hybrid MMCX In-Ear Earphones
LZ A4 has been discontinued, it's replaced by LA A6mini now, it's better than LZ A4.
The A6 looks interesting. 1 DD+ 4 BA+ 1 Piezoelectric Suppertweeter. It's $100 more than the A4 though. I've read the fit is so so though. But that is really dependent on your ear shape. LZ is still including a terrible cable though.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #13,564 of 36,075
Something I haven't seen fully explored is the use of IEMs when lying down to sleep. Comfort is obviously one issue, but the one I'm encountering is "distortion" with some and none with others. Now all of my IEMs function just fine when sitting upright, walking, etc., but lay down and the bets are off. Anyone else experience this kind of anomaly?

I've never tried to go to sleep using my IEMs so I don't know if mine would act the same. Hopefully others here will be able to help.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #13,565 of 36,075

I haven't had any issues with audible distortion - but I have had issues with the eartips / ear canals being compressed, which reduces the sound level.

Mar 16, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #13,567 of 36,075
I use these. Nice and small. Shallow tips.

soundmagic.jpg

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #13,568 of 36,075
Nope, ports not blocked. This happens in the ear NOT on the pillow but up and exposed when I'm on my side. And not with all my IEMs just most. Drives me nuts. :frowning2:

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #13,569 of 36,075
Nope, ports not blocked. This happens in the ear NOT on the pillow but up and exposed when I'm on my side. And not with all my IEMs just most. Drives me nuts. :frowning2:

I wonder if when you lay down your jaw relaxes and gets moved a little to one side while pressing against the pillow. If that happens, it could cause a poor seal on the exposed ear canal. I'm just postulating here.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #13,571 of 36,075
@Bob A (SD) never had that problem with IEMs. Perhaps they were ported and the port was blocked? My most comfortable sleeping IEM is the Flare RS2 Pro. They are extremely tiny.
I only had the Flare R2A, but boy those things were tiny and fantastically so! They were pretty good-sounding too, just didn't end up making the cut on my last small sale because I had concerns about the cable entry to the housing and its durability. I may look into some Flares again some day. Gotta try to pare down what I have first though, and that's not exactly looking easy yet with the Tin Audio T3 coming Monday and a KS pledge for the MEZONEs :p

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #13,572 of 36,075
I remember seeing Mary Jane Lamond live in concert at the Emerald Mist Irish Pub in Richardson, TX, back in the late '90s.
While she did describe the songs in English, the whole 2 hour concert was sung entirely in Cape Breton Gaelic.
"É Horò", from her 1997 album, Suas e! (which in English means, roughly, "Go for it!"), is one of the songs she sang that night -

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #13,574 of 36,075

Users who are viewing this thread

Back