The Audio Lounge
Jan 29, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #13,261 of 36,075
Yes, thanks. Best I ever got them to sound was with a friend's Atma-Shere S30 tube amp. 30 watts channel and OTL (no output transfrmers). The Rogers are the less common 16 ohm models and a superb match for tubes without transformers. Alas, couldn't justify spending 3k on an amp to play secondary speakers.
You could always build one of these for your Rogers. A lot less than most upper end OTL amps.

https://www.transcendentsound.com/products-.html

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #13,263 of 36,075
I would love to get the P3ESRs but they are way out of my price range. I think I could do about $500 or so...still have college kids to fund.
Check out some old Ruark’s on eBay, I got a pair of Epilogues for £60.00 so my son could use them as studio monitors until we have enough money to buy some Focals. The Epilogues are amazing for their size and age. They sound as good as £500.00 monitors that we have listened to !!!
$500.00 and your approaching Ruark Crusader or Equinox territory, these old speakers will compete with $2-3000.00 all day long.
I had a pair of the Equinox on loan for a while, these are as good or even better than the Harbeth I own now !!!

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #13,264 of 36,075
Ironically, I just bought a measuring rig (MiniDSP EARS). Wanted to get an internal point of reference for my reviews to see if any inferences can be made against how I actually hear things, and to give people some useful baseline for comparison against other IEMs I'm comparing in the same review.

Can't stand the purists who follow the "graph is all" mantra, though. Even a measurement noob like me can see the immense amount of variables that come into play just to get similar results on the same test rig (fit, depth, eartips etc). Add into that the unique shape of everyone's ear canal and the tip/seal they get and measurement is a folks errand for actually telling you anything apart from ROUGHLY what am IEM or headphone should sound like compared to something else measured in the same system. And that's not even taking into account things like phase coherence etc.

Then add in the fact that you need to use a compensation curve to approximate output from a "pro" system (and no one can agree on a standard curve to use) rather than the actual raw data, THEN add in the fact the data is smoothed and averaged, and you get something that not even a megalomaniac politician could defend as the truth.

Long rant short - measurements are good for context, but ears are much better for telling you how stuff actually sounds! :wink:

Anyway, rant over. Any suggestions between DM6, DMG and Kanas Pro for anyone who's heard them?

Also, anyone in the market for a neckband style BT headset should check out the 1More Triple Driver BT - same sound as the original Triple in a nice wireless package. Been very impressed with them as my "doing stuff" wireless option over the last week or so...
I have BGVP DM6 and I say they are darn good for their price. They sound like a decent BA tuned IEM would in it's price range. Unfortunately, I still like Andromeda over them.

Right now, I'm spending a lot of time with Sony XBA-N3 due to their awesome DD tuning and hybrid design.

I've been chatting with some people who like the Kanas Pro a lot, it's a single driver and been told it's excellent for various genres of music. I've met some that prefer the Moondrop blessing over it.
Unfortunately, I don't plan to get it yet.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #13,265 of 36,075
Just passive. Running off a vintage Sony STR-1020AV (about 120 wpc 8 ohms).
A few speakers that haven't been mentioned in your price range to look at...

1) Monitor Audio Bronze 2
2) Martin Logan Motion 15 or LX16
3) Warfedale Diamond 220, 225, 10.1, or 10.2
4) B&W 685

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #13,266 of 36,075
WOW: Step

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #13,267 of 36,075

4) B&W 685

Thank you, I will look into these and see what they're about...

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #13,269 of 36,075
Thank you, I will look into these and see what they're about...
You're very welcome. It's always a tough job to find a speaker that agrees with your listening style.

One other speaker that I wanted to throw out there is the Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary. From what I've read it falls in the same listening style as the Harbeths. I've not heard them but that is a definite high accolade. They are going for $399 or less on Amazon and are usually a $1000 speaker. I may buy a pair and give them a go.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #13,271 of 36,075

4) B&W 685
I like seeing Monitor Audio in your list haha. I've had a set of these for the past few years and I don't intend to change them any time soon:
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/silver-5g/silver-1/
Mine's in piano black, looks quite nice. Got mine used though, but it did still cost right up at the $500 mark. I imagine the Bronze 2 would be a good speaker based on my experience with the Silver 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back